Author Topic: Who Loves ENY?  (Read 18396 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Who Loves ENY?
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
Eny was designed to balance game play do to an imbalance a different number of players on each side.

It does this
1. By creating an incentive for players to change sides
2. By giving an advantage to the country with less players.

Has I consequence some players may also log off which also helps the issue of side balance, as compared to pre ENY when players would log off do to side imbalance it made the problem worse.

HiTech
Since it is an incentive for players to change sides...why punish them by making them stay there 6 hours?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: For the love of all that is holy, please KILL ENY!
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »
How about shallowing the ENY out a bit by first starting with NO ORD for ENY 5...then NO ENY 5 planes...then NO ord under 10 ENY the no 10 ENY planes ECT ECT ECT

NO.

HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
Since it is an incentive for players to change sides...why punish them by making them stay there 6 hours?

Because you need both a spring and a damper.

HiTech

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »

HiTech
Then why not keep it at 6 hours for changing to any side and 1 hour to change to low number side?
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
I guess that was obvious. But we do get a fair bit of that because it seems many people are loyal to their chess piece. But do I recall correctly that you also did not intend to have ENY cause people to switch sides?  or is that classified?  :salute

You can't change personality traits. If the person limits themselves enough then they will never be happy.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
NO.

HiTech
Can I just get a list of all the changes you won't make because it's me suggesting them, would save us both a lot of time.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
Can I just get a list of all the changes you won't make because it's me suggesting them, would save us both a lot of time.

No

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »
Um, never mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:58:13 PM by Arlo »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
Eny was designed to balance game play do to an imbalance a different number of players on each side.

It does this
1. By creating an incentive for players to change sides
2. By giving an advantage to the country with less players.

Has I consequence some players may also log off which also helps the issue of side balance, as compared to pre ENY when players would log off do to side imbalance it made the problem worse.

HiTech

Thank you.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #309 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »

HiTech

I liked that analogy. +1   
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
You can't change personality traits. If the person limits themselves enough then they will never be happy.

True. I'm always happy...except when I'm losing, or my bullets aren't hitting anything, or I get picked or...

Wait..I'm never happy.   ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #311 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
Most of the time lately when I check the MA, the rooks are missing representation for some reason. This really messes with ENY for the knights since POTW is a knight squad but, having good numbers still after all these years, we suck it up and act like it's FSO. I just checked the MA to look at ENY fighter rides and noticed once again rooks seem really under represented for some reason middle of the day.

So when ENY limits your rides all the way including the Yak3 for base defense, it can get irritating having to fly something requiring your A++ game to not get picked or power ganged by P51D's and Doras. By that time there are really no rides that you can run away to get a breather and a reset. Most people don't like being forced to be in A++ mode all the time just to play a game. Especially those 4 hours lately during prime time the rooks seem to all be in a bar somewhere watching the latest pro ball game. Or maybe they decided it's better to be with the big population numbers hiding in garbage rides with the rest of us. :rolleyes: Yeppers in this game numbers rule, well once they did when it was 200 P51D's closing down both the nits and bish in the same hour.

Right now ENY is 23 for the knights which means even the Yak9u is unavailable for them as a solid 500mph ride to get separation from bad situations. The bish are close behind. There are only 19 rook in the arena while bish and knights have 2x each or a tad more. Without ENY, those 19 rook would just log and probably tell Hitech to stick it and cancel their accounts. 14 years ago with no ENY people just quit the game because who can fight an overwhelming number of P51D's under those conditions? 1 hour side switching would only oscillate the badness around over 4 hours as people tried to hide on the large number side and people tried to escape the large numbers of P51D's and dora's whipping up on them. Not to mention all the 262's.

If you look at the list of fighters and bombers affected by 23 ENY, it's obvious why 23 ENY based on population numbers takes those rides off the table. In a 2.5 to 1 scenario where the other two sides are roughly 2.5 players to your 1, all the rides from ENY 5-23 would make the MA for your side at 1, a replay of 14 years ago for all the paying customers on your side.

But, Vinkman expressed it best the confusion most players today have about the purpose of ENY.
More people on one side doesn't equal being out numbered in every fight...or any fight for that matter. How does ENY know it's helping? What metric or algorithm does it use to  know it's improving game play? 

Each player questioning ENY in here assumes everyone else will act like themselves and not act human, until they act human, and screw the low numbers on one of the three sides. Human nature in combat games is it's fun to be the one welding the club making you cry instead of you making them cry.

ENY is better than MOD's with eject powers and no way to challenge them because one of the new rules will be you get ejected for calling out the MOD's. Now I still wonder where the rooks keep going every day because that ENY monster must be getting tired of all this extra work recently.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #312 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
For me, "base defense" starts with a warning on country channel when I see the big dar bar show up two sectors away and I believe that I know which of our fields is the target.

Then I up a fighter and am usually at 25k when they show up and get a bird's eye view of them clubbing my countrymates who decided base defense starts after the enemy has established a vulch cap.

In this case, an I16 with the cannons works wonders and works even better if you catch them before they arrive over your field.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Most of the time lately when I check the MA, the rooks are missing representation for some reason. This really messes with ENY for the knights since POTW is a knight squad but, having good numbers still after all these years, we suck it up and act like it's FSO. I just checked the MA to look at ENY fighter rides and noticed once again rooks seem really under represented for some reason middle of the day.

So when ENY limits your rides all the way including the Yak3 for base defense, it can get irritating having to fly something requiring your A++ game to not get picked or power ganged by P51D's and Doras. By that time there are really no rides that you can run away to get a breather and a reset. Most people don't like being forced to be in A++ mode all the time just to play a game. Especially those 4 hours lately during prime time the rooks seem to all be in a bar somewhere watching the latest pro ball game. Or maybe they decided it's better to be with the big population numbers hiding in garbage rides with the rest of us. :rolleyes: Yeppers in this game numbers rule, well once they did when it was 200 P51D's closing down both the nits and bish in the same hour.

Right now ENY is 23 for the knights which means even the Yak9u is unavailable for them as a solid 500mph ride to get separation from bad situations. The bish are close behind. There are only 19 rook in the arena while bish and knights have 2x each or a tad more. Without ENY, those 19 rook would just log and probably tell Hitech to stick it and cancel their accounts. 14 years ago with no ENY people just quit the game because who can fight an overwhelming number of P51D's under those conditions? 1 hour side switching would only oscillate the badness around over 4 hours as people tried to hide on the large number side and people tried to escape the large numbers of P51D's and dora's whipping up on them. Not to mention all the 262's.

If you look at the list of fighters and bombers affected by 23 ENY, it's obvious why 23 ENY based on population numbers takes those rides off the table. In a 2.5 to 1 scenario where the other two sides are roughly 2.5 players to your 1, all the rides from ENY 5-23 would make the MA for your side at 1, a replay of 14 years ago for all the paying customers on your side.

But, Vinkman expressed it best the confusion most players today have about the purpose of ENY.
Each player questioning ENY in here assumes everyone else will act like themselves and not act human, until they act human, and screw the low numbers on one of the three sides. Human nature in combat games is it's fun to be the one welding the club making you cry instead of you making them cry.

ENY is better than MOD's with eject powers and no way to challenge them because one of the new rules will be you get ejected for calling out the MOD's. Now I still wonder where the rooks keep going every day because that ENY monster must be getting tired of all this extra work recently.
Just curious...what other combat games do you play????

Nevermind....you' re just wrong about human nature in combat games that everyone wants the easy fight...other games have ranks attach to you that actually give a better representation of your actual skill level and you aren't going to climb those ladders without taking tougher fights.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #314 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
You are trying to do two things at the same time which creates a lot of stress for you over this game. You are trying to change this game either back into AH2 circa 2007 or into Junky's Combat Sky's 2017 by constantly challenging Hitech and anyone else you perceive in your way. You do not like the game as it is now and would still be trying to change it even if we had 400 players as a norm. Changing it for the altruist good of the community is a cover for you wanting the game to be how you remembered it. It doesn't matter what games I play, this is AH3 and not them.

Hitech imposes no rules in this open world so it panders to the lowest common level of human nature. Because there is no structured framework with competitors constantly trying to be No.1 at combat. Or defining themselves by their superiority over the community other than kill strings and the naughtiness that gets laughed about on 200. That was the muppets circa 2007 who cared about those competitive combat things. Score and rank have stopped meaning anything especially to the core group of players who have been around longer than you. They kind of define the current game which as combat games goes is a rather laid back affair. At least Waffle hasn't greifed us yet by temporarily putting a bocce ball court in front of the tower with a 55gal drum of Geritol next to it. 

ENY and how it came about was directly due to human nature and that human nature is always on display in the MA looking for a way to whizz down the other guy's back and crow about it. That is the current spirit of the game. I've had 14 years to watch it ebb and flow as someone comes up with some new and naughty way to greif the community for a time and either moves on or gets banned by Hitech. Good luck trying to force the MA into being one of those other combat games, that's why we have Koth, AvA, DA, FSO and special events. It sounds like you want to bring all that structured special play to the MA and convert the community to your combat religion. The muppets tried for a while to change the MA into a super sized DA, some moved on, and the rest finally picked a fight with Hitech they couldn't win in his house.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.