Author Topic: what do you do?  (Read 4894 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
what do you do?
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »
A single fighter is over your head.  What do you do?

From playing this game many years, 9 times out of 10, the guy at a disadvantage will immediately run.  Usually straight to ack.  This is before I even make a single pass.  And the runners include many "big name" players, that are far better than me (not naming names). 

The real question is, will anyone that's not a noob, fight from a disadvantage?  That is, when they have the option to run?

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
I have seen many fighters over my head, I just fly by, then come back at the same altitude, then one of us is gonna dive for the deck  :bolt:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
If someone is above me I'll slowly keep trying into them as they dive on me to set up reversals repeatedly
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Egg roll repeatedly, until I run out of alt or one of us is dead. If he doesn't press the attack then there's not much to be done about it. These days it's usually a one pass wonder. He makes one pass and you wonder why he's running.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 49ZERO

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »
Hit enter 3 times and use your 45

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:11 AM »
Attempt to equalize E, then engage.  Usually results in him diving out.

If he's aggressive (rarely happens) try to set up an overshoot and kill him.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »
First, there is nothing wrong with seeking an advantage in ack protection.  As you stated, a player coming in with an alt advantage has done so to gain advantage so why deny a lower pry any advantage the player has available to him or her.  Keep in mind too, if you are low and near a base you often, not only low, you are slow.  Players like rocky look for these exact situations, low and slow.

So many times have I heard on vox some say look at that guy running to his ack when there were four of five green guys to one red guy.

Please do not beat up players that play the hand they are dealt.

Now back to the real meat of your post.  I use to fear those pesky P-51s, 109s and 190s.  Not anymore.  9 out of 10 of those have poor throttle control since alt advantage is the only part of the game they know.  If they turn hard, they go slow so If I don't kill them another player will.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
I'll take any fight I can get these days.

One thing that I find funny these days, and you see me comment on 200 about it a lot, is timid yo yos....Most people have zero idea how to BnZ so that's why a lot of you say people are running from you when you have an alt advantage....

If your initial and subsequent attacks aren't making your opponent lose E...you are doing it wrong.

Someone has been teaching a lot of people how to high yo yo in there BnZ tactics and they are teaching it wrong....high yo yo your nose does not have to go above the horizon...you dump a lot of E doing this...all a high yo yo does is correct your attack angle....you sitting up there dumping all your E high yo yoing over and over is making it so me (the shark) is getting closer to co e...and when I say co E I mean I have a faster air speed then you who only has alt on me.

When you dive on a target...make it steep, close the distance between you quickly...longer he has there the longer he gets to Co E. (By diving very shallowly) if he makes a hard break turn/ split S ect ect...pull vertical and get reset above him...look around look for enemy planes coming to help maybe attack another con who now is getting closer to Co E with you (this is what I call controlling a furball)....you made him lose E mission accomplished...if there is no other threat after your quick sweep... steep dive again....if he makes a less aggressive defensive manuever this is where the yo yo comes in...to adjust your angle to remain in that steep pursuit forcing him to use E to avoid your attack.

Players like Wmaker are good at BnZ because they know how to make you lose E forcing you to get slower and slower until it's almost impossible to force an overshoot because you don't have the energy to do it.....a lot of you try to call them pickers but really they are just better at ACM then you....now players like Jayro are just good at spotting the right place at the right time kills....he's a picker.

Think I went off on a tangent...hold up let me regain my thoughts.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
Check my film in the "Films and Screenshots" threads called "more defensive maneuvers (much more exciting)", that I recently bumped to the top. This is a good film because it shows how to shake and bake higher opponents. I also posted another film, but did not bump that one (couple pages back), which deals with a P51D BnZing me for 10 minutes till I finally worked in a shot. It's not as exciting, but does show evasive to avoid and counterpunch these types of opponents. I also have a couple videos on YouTube that show some good defensive techniques.

20 second loaded barrel roll defense video - Violator.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAi_TRAV4E8

Flight of the Violater
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJSwQh2bJSc

Although the second video doesn't show icons. Notice how I first dodge the spit, do a barrel roll defense and almost get a shot. I actually think I did hit em, but the video doesn't show the sprites. Then I get down and dirty with about 4 on my tail, and you can see how use scissors and timing to reverse the 2 Spits. That was an intense fight.

Defensive maneuvers are very important to the game. They will get you so many more kills than just running away. I highly suggest people learn defensive flying as it will take your flying to a whole nother level. Once I started to learn defensive maneuvers, it competly changed the way I flew, and helped me to win a lot more fights.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:00:24 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
Check my film in the "Films and Screenshots" threads called "more defensive maneuvers (much more exciting)", that I recently bumped to the top. This is a good film because it shows how to shake and bake higher opponents. I also posted another film, but did not bump that one (couple pages back), which deals with a P51D BnZing me for 10 minutes till I finally worked in a shot. It's not as exciting, but does show evasive to avoid and counterpunch these types of opponents. I also have a couple videos on YouTube that show some good defensive techniques.

20 second loaded barrel roll defense video - Violator.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAi_TRAV4E8

Flight of the Violater
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJSwQh2bJSc

Although the second video doesn't show icons. Notice how I first dodge the spit, do a barrel roll defense and almost get a shot. I actually think I did hit em, but the video doesn't show the sprites. Then I get down and dirty with about 4 on my tail, and you can see how use scissors and timing to reverse the 2 Spits. That was an intense fight.

Defensive maneuvers are very important to the game. They will get you so many more kills than just running away. I highly suggest people learn defensive flying as it will take your flying to a whole nother level. Once I started to learn defensive maneuvers, it competly changed the way I flew, and helped me to win a lot more fights.

Great in depth post. More people need to learn ACM  so we can have better fights and increase the overall skill gap between players because I can tell you first hand compared to 6 years ago there's almost no competition in the MA currently. It's getting to be boring.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
I hit WEP,  dive to the deck,  running and screaming for help on range.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
Die usually hahaha

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 02:06:14 PM »
Egg roll repeatedly,

Please explain what you mean by egg roll.

<puts on bashing helmet>

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »
High and low Yo Yo's are closure control maneuvers.

Usually referred to in a turning fight--high closure=high yo yo to control too much closure, while positioning for immediate fight re-entry (trading Kinetic E for Potential E). Low Yo Yo= closure gaining maneuver, usually by "cutting across the circle" via the use of the vertical (down) to help preserve E while creating turning room in the 3rd dimension.   A quarter plane is a "save" to preserve 3-9 advantage, and causes the attacker to bleed off excessive E while pulling aggressively to the bandits high 6 (usually 90 degrees out of plane of motion).

Boom and Zoom properly should be a series of high speed passes to gunshots forcing the bandit to break and then avoid the shot. which should be losing E as a result.

Wiley hit the nail on the head with the "equalize E" approach....but the problem is smart attackers recognize this and go pick on someone else:)  Or in the melee arena, the "sterile 1 v 1 fight" quickly becomes a multi-aircraft furball:)

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
Get some speed, see where it goes from there.