Author Topic: Windows 7 Update - Argh!!  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 7 Update - Argh!!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »
Vraciu, there's another way, too. When you've got your system up and running in the way you like it, run the Windows CleanManager first to get rid of any clutter and then make a full backup on an external disk or even a USB stick using the Windows 7 backup utility. With that backup it's a simple task to revert to that point by using the Windows installation disk.

Good idea.  Unfortunately this thing is running like an abacus instead of a flippin' computer.   I wonder if I can move on to Chromium?  LOL :)

If AH would run on LINUX MINT I would ditch Win7 and never look back.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
I had the same issue and ran a program called windows update downloader to dl and run the updates manually. Might be an option here

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
Disable Windows update and reboot (to get rid of the stuck update process)

Get and install the 9/2016 servicing stack update and the 7/2016 rollup (contains the new Windows Update Agent required for fast serch processing) listed at http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
Disable Windows update and reboot (to get rid of the stuck update process)

Get and install the 9/2016 servicing stack update and the 7/2016 rollup (contains the new Windows Update Agent required for fast serch processing) listed at http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Will do.

”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
Vraciu, as I told in game, it can take 48 hours or even more for downloading the updates.

First, uncheck the "give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" to reduce the amount of updates.

Second, check your power management settings in Control Panel. Set them to maximum performance and check that it never goes to sleep if plugged into mains.

Third, let it run until you get all of the updates. Preferably when you're away so you won't feel like playing AH...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:09:55 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
In my post above the following is missing (was edited-in but somehow not saved):
After installing the updates and reboot either manually start update search or re-enable windows update. It should now find updates within a reasonable timeframe instead of countless hours.
BTW be glad you have Win7 - Vista users have completely borked update systems for the last ~5 months of official support.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »
In my post above the following is missing (was edited-in but somehow not saved):
After installing the updates and reboot either manually start update search or re-enable windows update. It should now find updates within a reasonable timeframe instead of countless hours.
BTW be glad you have Win7 - Vista users have completely borked update systems for the last ~5 months of official support.

My laptop is Vista.    :bhead
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
I havent been able to get updates for win7 since last year.  I just gave up now.  I have let the computer on for days but nothing every happens.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
I havent been able to get updates for win7 since last year.  I just gave up now.  I have let the computer on for days but nothing every happens.

semp

The above worked. 

The main think is Disable Update via Control Panel (Admin, Services, Windows Update).   I then disabled my internet connection and installed on patch at a time followed by a reboot.   Update seems to work after you get this one installed in the proper order --  kb3172605.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 05:06:13 AM »
Culprit in Win7 is to get the new update agent and this only comes bundled in the 7/16 rollup. That's an update M$ denied for Vista users. Don't know if it's actually the update agent working better/faster or if it's just using the rollup as starting point for update search (thus no need to discard countless older updates)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
I disabled updates for Win 8.1.  No problems with my machine.  I did this over a year ago.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 09:46:56 AM »
Culprit in Win7 is to get the new update agent and this only comes bundled in the 7/16 rollup. That's an update M$ denied for Vista users. Don't know if it's actually the update agent working better/faster or if it's just using the rollup as starting point for update search (thus no need to discard countless older updates)

(Wow I sure typoed my previous reply! Must have been excited over fixing this thing.)

That's definitely what it sounds like. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
Is there a reason you guys do not want to upgrade to 10, I hesitated for along time but finally did the update. I would never go back to 7 as 10 has been as stable as a rock. I heard all the excuses why people but I have never had any problems with it and runs AH great.

I assume you mean my installer?  I built an installer for Windows 7 with all the drivers and updates installed.  I run it off a USB drive when I need to install Windows 7.  Slip stream, is the name of the process used to build the installer.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2016, 03:51:04 AM »
Too many privacy issues, loss of control over certain mechanisms and a bugged update/upgrade system. Each major version update is actually similar to an inplace upgrade/repair installation on previous OS and that is known to cause problems.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 04:09:52 AM »
Is there a reason you guys do not want to upgrade to 10, I hesitated for along time but finally did the update. I would never go back to 7 as 10 has been as stable as a rock. I heard all the excuses why people but I have never had any problems with it and runs AH great.

I just visited an elderly customer whose Chrome needed to be reinstalled again due to Win10 resetting to defaults, plus there was this single update having failed half a dozen times during a single day. For the latter a fellow tech in a big store told me that they had encountered lots of issues with apparently the same update.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni