Author Topic: can't launch , tiny window says....  (Read 2298 times)

Offline c H e F

• Zinc Member
      • http://chef561.tripod.com/chefsworld/
Re: can't launch , tiny window says....
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »
We cannot do anything about Chrome corrupting the download.

If Chrome is your only option, then you can always order the DVD install of the game.  After that, it will auto-patch.

Ok, I installed Firefox and downloaded again from that.
Opened the package & it began installing and stopped at:    stdshape.res
It asked if I wasted to: abort   retry  ignore
So, this is the same issue with Chrome yet now still with FireFox
I selected retry 20 times, it won't.  Chose "Ignore" then it resumes but this must be
vital to even opening the game. Get the same error I originally mentioned in the first post.
"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction must make sense."~Twain

"Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it." ~St. Augustine

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »
The browser should already be closed down before you launch the installer, unless you are trying to run the installer over the Internet connection, which is not going to work.

If you are not trying to run the installer over the Internet connection here are other reasons it can fail.

1)  Not enough free memory.  The installer loads each file into system RAM which will require 2GB of free system RAM in order to run.

2)  Your C: drive is out of free space.  Needs, at least, 3GB of free space.

3)  You are running the installer from an SSD which has a firmware issue.  There are a number of SSD drives in the field with a firmware bug the installer will run into, especially if you are running the installer from an SSD and installing to the same SSD.

4)  You are trying to install the game over a wireless LAN.  Too many packet retries will result in the error you are seeing.

There are other reasons, but those should be the most common.

For a couple of the above, a DXDIAG out would be helpful.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline c H e F

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
The browser should already be closed down before you launch the installer, unless you are trying to run the installer over the Internet connection, which is not going to work. I don't know if I could be doing that.

If you are not trying to run the installer over the Internet connection here are other reasons it can fail.

1)  Not enough free memory.  The installer loads each file into system RAM which will require 2GB of free system RAM in order to run.

2)  Your C: drive is out of free space.  Needs, at least, 3GB of free space.

3)  You are running the installer from an SSD which has a firmware issue.  There are a number of SSD drives in the field with a firmware bug the installer will run into, especially if you are running the installer from an SSD and installing to the same SSD.
What is an SSD?.
4)  You are trying to install the game over a wireless LAN.  Too many packet retries will result in the error you are seeing.
Not doing that.
There are other reasons, but those should be the most common.

For a couple of the above, a DXDIAG out would be helpful.How to do that?.

Should I try to shut everything down, restart and try opening the installer again?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:13:42 AM by c H e F »
"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction must make sense."~Twain

"Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it." ~St. Augustine

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Browser) Basically neither Chrome nor Firefox would allow for running the installer prior to fully downloading it into the Downloads folder.
3) SSD stands for Solid State Disk. There's no moving parts such as the platter in spinning hard drives. The technology is much like that of USB memory sticks.
DxDiag) look here: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,270056.msg3375880.html#msg3375880

A restart is most often a good idea. When shutting down, keep the Shift button pressed while clicking Shutdown. That will make your computer start fresh.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline c H e F

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Browser) Basically neither Chrome nor Firefox would allow for running the installer prior to fully downloading it into the Downloads folder.
3) SSD stands for Solid State Disk. There's no moving parts such as the platter in spinning hard drives. The technology is much like that of USB memory sticks.
DxDiag) look here: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,270056.msg3375880.html#msg3375880

A restart is most often a good idea. When shutting down, keep the Shift button pressed while clicking Shutdown. That will make your computer start fresh.

Based on Skuzzie's last post I shut all windows down, browser, any applications and did a restart.

I then restarted the computer, upon opening up, I shut down virus software and Carbonite.
I then deleted the AHIII desktop link/icon, found the installer file in downloads for aceshighIII and then started re-installation
It didn't stall out at the res file processes like before. It finished on its own and I selected a reinstall of the icon link on desktop and then selected to enter game.

So far, it is working, booted up the game fine, about to go into the game.
My computer was high end, 13 years ago. LOL It has a new resurgent vid card for it, reproduced, back by pop demand, but it is not like units today. I hope to create another up-to-date machine this year, going all out. I am told it will take $2000. I will also get a new stick. My trigger has been broken for 3 years ...just using space bar or "f" key. If I kill you know it was just a space bar.   :evil:czok

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Whoa! 13 years is an honorable age for a computer! Mine is five years younger and with a newer video card it can run AH3 quite well.

$2000 sounds quite a lot for an AH3 capable system, but if you're planning to keep it for another 13 years the cost per year isn't too much.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 12:48:20 AM »
Latest update just did the same to me as the OP.   Second update in the last three tries to blow up on me.   Information-only post.    Will do another full-reinstall as before to fix it.  :bhead
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:25 AM »
What failed to patch correctly?  stdshapes?  It will be the most likely to fail if there are resource issues, or an SSD involved.

The OP's computer had resources issues.  We cannot fix that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
What failed to patch correctly?  stdshapes?  It will be the most likely to fail if there are resource issues, or an SSD involved.

The OP's computer had resources issues.  We cannot fix that.

I got the exact error bug message he received.   It happened to me with patch 20.   I did a full reinstall.   Update 21 worked fine.   Update 22 popped up the same error as 20.   I didn't screenshot it I just did a full reinstall and it is working now. 

Never had any issues prior to patch 20. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
This is not something we have any control over.  We detect the errors, but as to why they happen, it has something to do with the computer it is running on.

The patcher is really simple, but it can require up to 2GB of free memory to run properly.  If the computer strapped for resources, then a patch failure will not be uncommon.

There are a lot of things which impact resources in a computer, and we have no control over any of them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:31:47 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:28 PM »
This is not something we have any control over.  We detect the errors, but as to why they happen, it has something to do with the computer it is running on.

The patcher is really simple, but it can require up to 2GB of free memory to run properly.  If the computer strapped for resources, then a patch failure will not be uncommon.

There are a lot of things which impact resources in a computer, and we have no control over any of them.

Well, next time I run it I will close everything else and see what happens.

Just seems odd since I've never had an error in all these years, now all of a sudden two of the last three have blown up.   My computer isn't any different than it was then other than being MORE capable than when I started.

No biggie, but thanks for being on top of it.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:19 AM »
The big difference is the size of the files, which means more memory and more disk space will be used by the patcher.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
The big difference is the size of the files, which means more memory and more disk space will be used by the patcher.

Ah, that makes sense.   Thanks for the explanation.   :salute

Is each patch larger than the previous one or are updates incorporated eventually into the main version?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
It all depends on the files being patched.  If we patch "stdshape.res", even if only one byte changes, it still takes 2GB of free memory to do the patch.  It is the largest file we have and the most resource intensive when we need to patch it.

The patch data is derived from the differences between the versions of the game.  So, yes, the main version always has the patch data incorporated.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Wow.  Now it all makes sense.  Goood info.  :aok  Thanks again for explaining. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned