Author Topic: can't launch , tiny window says....  (Read 2297 times)

Offline c H e F

• Zinc Member
      • http://chef561.tripod.com/chefsworld/
can't launch , tiny window says....
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Tonight, since I installed the reqrd patch or update (and I've done everyone since forever with no problems) , as soon as I click on desktop icon to launch game...it pops up a large white window as if to start game but then a small window in the middle pops saying...

"Initialization failed with -9 main WLD_FAILED-1"

This has never happened to me before that I can remember, since 1999?

So I sit here and can't play. :/ I have no idea about computer issues like this.
"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction must make sense."~Twain

"Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it." ~St. Augustine

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: can't launch , tiny window says....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:54:25 PM »
This is what Skuzzy says about that error.....

"Just FYI.  That error is usually caused when someone tries to create a shortcut and accidentally drags the game executable from its installation folder.

Usually, not always. Like HiTech suggested, installing the full installation over the top of the existing one will fix the problem."

Download and reinstall OVER the game. It should fix it, and will save your settings.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:51 AM »
This also means the patch may have failed, but it would tell you if it did.  If you are running any anti-xxxx software or are running the game from an SSD, or running the game from the "C:\Program Files" folder(s), then a patch can fail.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
I am getting this same error.

Not doing anything differently than I usually do with an update.   The 3020 update killed it.

I clicked directly on the .exe file as well.  Same error.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
Once you get that error, all you can do is download and install the full game over the top of your existing installation.

I suspect the patch is failing on a file, but I cannot get anyone to tell me which one.  It does report any files which failed to patch at the end.  If there are no errors, then something really bizarre is happening as checksums are generated each step of the way to insure data integrity.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Once you get that error, all you can do is download and install the full game over the top of your existing installation.

I suspect the patch is failing on a file, but I cannot get anyone to tell me which one.  It does report any files which failed to patch at the end.  If there are no errors, then something really bizarre is happening as checksums are generated each step of the way to insure data integrity.

Will do.   :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »

The patch doesn't fail on mine and everything seems to work ok, but I get a failed popup window that says the patch failed on the ahskview.exe. I do have that file, and it does open the viewer, but I don't know why I get the error window.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
Full reinstall.  It skipped 20 and went to 21.  Works now.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
The patch doesn't fail on mine and everything seems to work ok, but I get a failed popup window that says the patch failed on the ahskview.exe. I do have that file, and it does open the viewer, but I don't know why I get the error window.

That is a failure.  The skin viewer may work, but it is not getting updated.  One day it will not work or start having all kinds of problems.

The failure with this error message is probably going to be a failure to patch the standard shapes file.

I need to look at where we put our temp files as they are currently going to the user folder on drive C:\.  Many people are using SSD's for the OS drive and that could be a source of the failures.  More often than not it is anti-xxxx software.  Unless you can add the patch file to the exclusion list on the anti-xxxx software, which will not happen if you use the auto-updater, then it could also cause a failure.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ntjunior

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 07:23:25 AM »
I had the same problem yesterday and I decided to reinstall the program. I'm in the fourth attempt to download because always at the end of the download an error occurs and I lose the whole process. I'm very frustrated.
Still learning...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »
I had the same problem yesterday and I decided to reinstall the program. I'm in the fourth attempt to download because always at the end of the download an error occurs and I lose the whole process. I'm very frustrated.

are you using chrome as a browser? chrome seems to have a problem  and corrupts the download. try a different browser

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
Chrome does have a tendency to corrupt the download, but anti-xxxx software can also do it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ntjunior

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
Yes, I was trying with Chrome. This time I'm using Firefox. I hope it will work now.
Thanks guys.
Still learning...

Offline c H e F

• Zinc Member
      • http://chef561.tripod.com/chefsworld/
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
I have chrome, always used that. I'm dead in water. Can't play. XP pro OS. Exact failure window again says what I listed in first post. I have no abilities to fix this situation.
I reinstalled the game. Identical window and failure.
"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction must make sense."~Twain

"Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it." ~St. Augustine

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 06:14:19 AM »
We cannot do anything about Chrome corrupting the download.

If Chrome is your only option, then you can always order the DVD install of the game.  After that, it will auto-patch.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese