Author Topic: TIME TO KILL BUZZSAW!!!!  (Read 11355 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: TIME TO KILL BUZZSAW!!!!
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
Get rid of the spawns to the strats.  Lower the bases and this map could be a winner.  Right now it sucks.  My hat still is off though to the designer for such a bold shift in maps.

Changing or deleting spawn points is easy, reconfiguring elevations of a terrain not so much. It would probably take more time to edit buzzsaw then to create an entirely new map.

Chuikov

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »
Please?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
No, it should be the only map in rotation  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
No, it should be the only map in rotation  :old:

Why do you hate fun?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
That is his opinion. You stated yours.

Let me ask you a question.... if your car was not running right, would you take it to someone who doesn't know anything about cars to have it fixed?
Yes but does building maps mean you know about AH gameplay??? Look at Bustrs recorded hours online and you will see fighters and man guns for the majority of his time spent online....so he knows more about how maps play then these guys in here who play everything a map has to offer who say it sucks only because he builds terrains???....thats like saying the guy who built a plane knows how to fly it better then a pilot....come on Shuffler you know hes wrong for making a blunt statement that they dont have an opinion on the matter because they dont make maps....can you imagine the backlash a CM would get if they were like you guys have zero opinion because you arent a CM? Thats just crazy if you agree with him on this.

Why do you hate fun?

Wiley.
He makes pie charts for fun... :rofl :rofl :rofl
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »
Why do you hate fun?

I hate seeing 'my' game suffer so much over the years. So I just want to hasten the inevitable death  :devil
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »

I hate seeing 'my' game suffer so much over the years. So I just want to hasten the inevitable death  :devil

Ahh.  If you can't have it no one can?  :rofl  That's kinda harsh isn't it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2017, 10:44:52 AM »
Hold off for a few more rotations, I used it for GV spawn ideas on my first terrain and last night I saw a great scenario that has inspired how I will setup a 3 country GV spawn on my new terrain. It is teaching me a stark lesson in community balkinization problems.

1. -  The furball guys for the most part will let an airfield get over run by enemy tanks if the GV spawns are setup to allow that. They will just fly away and find a red guy in the air to shoot. It's on the ground guys to save their own kesters or not.

2. - The GV guys will not get off a spawn looking down over a field or a town and hunt the enemy at the other spawn if there is a lower elevation area they have to traverse to get at the other spawn. They will let the field guys take it in the shorts until the field is deacked and hangers are down, and no other options are available. Same problem with your own spawn campers if they actually get on the enemy spawn, and it allows the enemy to get past the campers down onto the field.

3. - Gvers come in two varieties within the GV community. Team players who communicate well with others and help hunt down enemy GV's. And GV aces who want kills and will let the other GVers take it in the shorts and their feild get deacked and hangers dropped behind them as long as they have the perfect position to claim scalps. They even pass on shooting easy wirbels and ostis which kills the GV attack planes as a consequence who are trying to save the airfield.

I saw on buzzsaw how these problems can be a PITA to group game play while at the same time it made for some hot action with the right kind of GV spawn. At the same time because of the spawn's location it exacerbated all of these problems. Buzzsaw has some interesting imbalances that are crammed together as extremes of good combat scenarios that end up giving too much of an advantage as the pendulum swings between the two competing groups. Fights don't get won on this terrain, people just get tired of the terrain defining combat and leave the fight.

Other than Gvers, the terrain topography and field layouts quickly tire out air combat players enthusiasm because you need a group to do anything which thins out opportunities for the furballers. This terrain was poorly thought out to serve all of Hitech's customers equally.     
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »
There one important thing to keep in mind that makes a map a different experience for GVers and Pilots - for pilots its all about the large scale geography and layout, while for GVers it's all about the spawn points and the actual layout of fields in the map is just about irrelevant. So in buzzsaw outskirts a pilot has to fly 40 miles to the enemy airbase that is 9K above sea level and he gets bummed, while for a GV it is just a spawn away and altitude makes no difference.

So, bustr is correct that a "good" map for GV is all about the fine positioning of the spawn points and the small terrain details on scales of several miles around the bases. A "good" map for planes is all about the general layout and terrain details on scales of 10s of miles, the locations of the strats, and field distances. Buzzsaw fails the latter - badly.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »
Just logged on to TeamSpeak. Non of my squaddies are on....whats this I think? Its Friday after work figured some folks would be on. I logged into AH.......ahhh Spiral map I see............... :frown:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
*Logs in, looks, logs out*
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »

Friday night, prime time, buzzsaw, 152 loged on, I wonder why. :aok

Chuikov

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »

You went a couple steps further than I did.   Once I hear it is up I just go work on skins.   :salute
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:59:33 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
You went a couple stes further than I did.   Once I hear it is up I just go work on skins.   :salute
Indeed.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
I check every once in a while to see if it's still up.
Kommando Nowotny