Author Topic: If you consider yourself a Top Stick in the game...  (Read 13150 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: If you consider yourself a Top Stick in the game...
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
In the real world, there are a gabillion more variables that make it less predictable and therefore less easy to ride the absolute edge.

An approximation for sure. Close enough is close enough...

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the car thing, lord knows I've experimented with physics on some back roads now and again. ;) 

Not me Wiley, I drive like a vicar. I have no idea what you're talking about. I think I should probably call the police. Which state do you live in?

But even still, an airshow pilot or guy in his car's still got the whole "self preservation" thing as well as the whole, "might damage the vehicle doing something ridiculous" thing going on in his head and is probably not going to be doing that sort of thing as often as we do in here.

Just figure they'd be skillful enough to get it back quick and leave enough margin to shreck around with it. That's how you find the limits with everything I supposed. I once had a gliding lesson and I asked him what happens if it stalls. He showed me. I also stood next to a Corsair and Gary Numan one day at Duxford. The Corsair was huge and the Gary Numan was tiny. He did not look docile at the stall.

“everyone  deserves a 2nd chance”. Dale ‘HiTech’ Adink - 16th November 2023

"The game has disintegrated into a maelstrom of ill will, of which I choose not to participate in" - A wise AH player

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
An approximation for sure. Close enough is close enough...

But the envelope we're talking about is where the small differences between the real thing and the approximation become evident, possibly even glaringly so.

Not me Wiley, I drive like a vicar. I have no idea what you're talking about. I think I should probably call the police. Which state do you live in?

Wrong country, and statute of limitations has long since expired.  I got over my invincibility phase pretty quickly, fortunately without even a close call.

Just figure they'd be skillful enough to get it back quick and leave enough margin to shreck around with it. That's how you find the limits with everything I supposed. I once had a gliding lesson and I asked him what happens if it stalls. He showed me. I also stood next to a Corsair and Gary Numan one day at Duxford. The Corsair was huge and the Gary Numan was tiny. He did not look docile at the stall.

Hey, could be.  That's also not in a dirty combat configuration though either.  Just saying it's unlikely that one would see video or telemetry of a combat configured F4U stalling itself out full flaps out 500 feet ASL on a regular basis, so it comes down to best guesses or math at best.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
...and ya'll know that Dale owns an 'airshow' performance plane right?  So the guy who designed the flight models for the F4U variants himself is also an experienced pilot. Also with thousands and thousands of hours of 'simulator' time. And we've got pilots and former fighter pilots here up the wazoo - all who say our flight model is 'purdy darn guud'.

Personally, I've been 'simming' since 1984 on my ole trusty C-64 - that's 33 years.  But some of you are waaaay older than me. :D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:30:31 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
I roadraced motorcycles and crashed 47 times.  You cannot find the absolute edge of the envelope unless you exceed it, then you back off just a smidgen.

You don't get 47 crashes in an airplane in Real Life.  Ever.

I have 6,427,328,987,001 crashes in AH and not a scratch on me.

I do think in RL pilots pushed their plane's to the absolute limits when it was a choice of dying to their enemies guns or doing absolutely everything possible to live.  Not over and over, but I would have tried absolutely everything to live, including crying like a little girl.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
...and ya'll know that Dale owns an 'airshow' performance plane right?
Ummmm...an RV-8 isn't an Extra 300. But, then again, neither is a P-51.

Maybe not but ole Jimmie Doolittle walked away from 5 or 6 if memory serves. So it can happen.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
You cannot find the absolute edge of the envelope unless you exceed it, then you back off just a smidgen.

Agreed. And knowing where it is means you don't have to step fully over it when needed.

Stall doesn't automatically mean crash though. On a motorbike it's just much more likely  :old:

What was this thing called in the real world again? The "Ensign Preservator" wasn't it?  :rofl

"The game has disintegrated into a maelstrom of ill will, of which I choose not to participate in" - A wise AH player

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
I roadraced motorcycles and crashed 47 times.  You cannot find the absolute edge of the envelope unless you exceed it, then you back off just a smidgen.

When pushing the envelope of a bike you are damn lucky to have walked away 47 times...Damn man...How much metal do you have in you

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
When pushing the envelope of a bike you are damn lucky to have walked away 47 times...Damn man...How much metal do you have in you

It's not the crashing and falling off the bike that hurts!  It's that sudden stop at the end that does the damage..... :devil

Ask Zoney but most crashes you just walk away from unless you hit something or someone hits you,then again there no accounting for grinding off a finger or two when you go down... :devil   

Again ask Zoney......... :rofl :rofl :rofl

:salute

PS: When asked about the different planes I always say the same thing!  They're all the same,2 wings and a prop,well some have 2 props and 2 dont have any but I digress,they are for the most part all the same,some just do some things better than others! If you are having difficulties fighting a certain plane,dont blame the plane or pilot,it's time to rethink how you are trying to fight that plane!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »
I was very lucky.  I got one mangled looking wrist that hurts all the time but works fine.  And the ground off pinky ain't ever going to grow back.

I only cared about one thing, winning.  I wasn't there for the spirit of the competition, I was there to take first place, only.  I was willing to risk it all, but I wasn't there to endanger other riders.  That was also a fine line.  I kept the first place trophies, the others I threw in the trash when I got home every time.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
What was this thing called in the real world again? The "Ensign Preservator" wasn't it?

FWIW (perhaps not much), I always thought that the Corsair and the P-38 were two of the most difficult AH planes to fly well.  The people here who are good in them have flown them quite a lot, so that they've overcome that learning curve.  Could be that a lot of real world ensigns and lieutenants didn't have that chance.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »
...Something's have brother.  :aok

Get back!

<S>

Hoping life will allow that in the foreseeable future.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
LOL just stuck my head in to see if anything has changed the past couple of years.. Nope.  :D

Hello there Shifty  :cheers:
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
Good ta see ya shifty!
Kommando Nowotny

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »
Could be that a lot of real world ensigns and lieutenants didn't have that chance.

I was laughing at the selective suppression of evidence by some members of the forum. No disrepect to those who were killed or injured flying the real beast in wartime  :salute

Watch out for that Zoney character though. Claims he'd cry like a girl to save his life in wartime, ground his Rameses Niblick off on the tarmac for more trophies and now has a titanium-hydraulic one.   :eek: