Author Topic: the new map from a strat runner's perspective  (Read 5451 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: the new map from a strat runner's perspective
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:42:34 AM »
When Buzzsaw comes around, attacking Strats will be a 10 minute flight or drive that will take the defenders 2 hours to repair.  It all evens out in the long run.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:46:08 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
I think the way the strats are setup actually give someone the chance to defend them unlike other maps so I respectfully disagree.

It was great seeing a mass of whirbs on a field and a ton of aircraft coming in from the next base when POTW upped in mass....instead of seeing Man Guns and M3s....I think the map has a lot to do with it.

off hours with the strats taking longer to hit will be a problem because the m3 re-suppliers will only need 2 boxes to get town safe again.

Again disable the town resupply when strats are 100%!   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 10:10:55 PM »
off hours with the strats taking longer to hit will be a problem because the m3 re-suppliers will only need 2 boxes to get town safe again.

Again disable the town resupply when strats are 100%!   :D
People are staying away from anything I can plug with M3 resupply...think they figured out I was adding that to any thread I possibly could...even got it in an FSO thread :D

That being said...Town resupply is just silly, make them have to go all the way to the base to resupply the town too at least.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »
We could have the Studebaker US6 and/or Opel Blitz added for field cargo runs and remove that option from the M3 and 251.  Secondly, I think a change in how resupplying with field cargo may need a look at.  As is, you can get into a rough range and drop, resupplying everything within range (1/2 mile?  I've forgotten.  :o).  What if it was changed to where you need to be within a circle of the town/base in order for the supplies to "tick"?  Similar to how you need to be on concrete to get a successful landing with a plane.  Or even have it to where you need to get within 50 yards of the map room/tower in order for supplies to "tick"?   Maybe adding a "depot" to bases and towns, where you would need to take the supplies there in order for the "tick", with a circle the same size as a re-arm pad?

As for how the strat's are setup, so long as there is a TON of puffy as a result (haven't made a run to deep strats just yet), I approve. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
I made the HQ\city\strat areas as a giant miles wide complex for each country. If you really want to be WW2 kinds of strategic, the place is vulnerable to the list below. ENY and nothing being available like radar\ords\troops due to constant single finger salutes on the strats for the last few years really PO'd me and all the people who were having fun with me every night. Yes Hitech made the HQ time and damage adjustments, I just got really tired of my evening being pooped on. In WW2 high value targets were protected by many things including how they were created and located. Finally, you are free just as I did, to make your own terrains.

1. - Two to three squads.
2. - Ask your selves why did I leave such giant radar blind areas in the back end of each country? And the nearest island bases so far away?
3. - Move a CV or two CV groups within 3-4 sectors of the strat complex. No one looks around in the water up there for enemy fleets.
4. - One squad up a massive bomber mission and climb to whatever alt is good for their bombing accuracy.
5. - You might want some NOE medium bombers or mossi16 groups.
6. - At a pre determined time, the task group squads and the NOE medium bombers start taking out the fighter hangers and GV hanger on the airfield to the left of the HQ. Each country's 163 field is that one. Also target the AA fields and take out the auto 88 guns. Also get the fighter hangers and GV hanger at the second strat complex airfield. Who knows, send in a lead high alt bomber mission to help take out the fighter hangers and GV hangers.
7. - Now the main bomber force can flatten the strats and make that country unhappy for how ever long it takes for the rebuild. The GV hangers will be down so only c47s will be available to resupply and you can have a nice turkey shoot if they try.

Other wise, strategically on this terrain, bombers are now very important for hitting feilds because of how close so many are positioned making capturing them faster. And all those task groups each country has wandering around.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
To me and people like me, whatever we do in the game has to be meaningful to be enjoyable. Killing a bad guy just to kill a bad guy has no value unless it furthers a purpose that benefits the team. Similarly, taking down a strat has no meaning if the strat can be supped up before you can land to make use of the damage you've inflicted on it; or if you can't get to it in the 1st place because it's an obvious target and fighters are waiting for you at 30k before you get there.

Time is a commodity. Everyone decides in this game (and in life!) how much of this precious commodity they are willing to spend to attempt to achieve a desired goal. The way the strats are currently arranged on the new map, fewer and fewer people will bother to hit them, and that subset of the AH community to which strat runs are important will be less inclined to play. Given the declining numbers in AH3 is this a desirable outcome?

Oh, and as a minor side point, the map creator recently suggested in a BB post that towns be made to be white flagged more easily, to encourage base taking, enthusiasm, and a more dynamic game play atmosphere. Making the strats reasonably accessible would have the same effect. So why stick the strats way in the back? I don't get it.

You and people like you need to get together and fly to them.

Offline you can choose any terrain to fly and there will be no one to shoot you down.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »
I did not like it at first, but the more I play it, the more I like it.

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
You and people like you need to get together and fly to them.

Offline you can choose any terrain to fly and there will be no one to shoot you down.
wait a minute... i think we have another winner of the I so smaaaat contest!

I think a strategic strat run and a bombing milkrun are two different things. Unless we are talking new players here I highly doubt your going to find a single player who wouldnt mind an intercept or 2 there and back.

Where do you people get the idea strategic players dont want action? All we want is the ability to make an impact on a larger scale than a leaderboard.

As for this map its got a lot of strategy elements to it that support quick action on the battlefield. Strats is not one of them. This map takes a large time investment with very little reward if you lone wolf it unless you can commit 2 1/2 hours in b29s and get them up above 30k. I like that!

Its a video game map. Pure and simple. Well put together and enjoyable.

9/10 for action and options to fight

6/10 for strategy

8/10 for terrain and visuals

Inspires me to put some work into a map myself.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
I think a strategic strat run and a bombing milkrun are two different things.

They look incredibly similar from an interceptor's perspective.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »
They look incredibly similar from an interceptor's perspective.

Wiley.
how so?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
how so?
It's not that hard to answer your own question here.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
how so?

They are both a set of buffs looking to be shot down  :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »
They are both a set of buffs looking to be shot down  :D

This. 25k+ bombers... Master strategist or milk runner? At the end of the day does it really matter?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »
This. 25k+ bombers... Master strategist or milk runner? At the end of the day does it really matter?

Wiley.
  :bhead

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Master Single Finger Salute Griefer.

Odds are very good no one will be at 25k or higher in an interceptor and the vast majority of average players don't have the 163 perks or don't want to use them against a single bomber group. Odds are all in the favor of the milk runner to single finger salute grief a whole country and whizz on their fun with the only risk being "time".

I removed that from my terrain as much as I could by using the terrain building rules to make the strats that matter a real strategic effort target complex.

When my terrain was in rotation, I kept an eye on it each day to see how it was being utilized. I saw more bombers up attacking things from below 15k than I've seen since 2009. Even the bombers were fighting and not griefing for a change. How did the bish win the terrain, they upped bombers, flew below 7k to the target, and strategically smashed the town and took the target away from the owner without any sneaking around. There was no need to disable the strats "to help their war effort", the bish just used the bombers as bombers to flatten what they wanted and took it old school.

Too many of our terrains have had the built in weakness of allowing one guy to purposely whizz on 100 guys and screw their short period of play time that they pay a monthly charge for. Hitech will never tell us if players were canceling their accounts back when the 49ers and others were griefing the HQ's almost nightly several times a night. So I created my terrain accordingly and the majority had fun fighting instead of resupplying or logging off because of some MSFSG.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.