Author Topic: Windows 10 Creators Edition  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Windows 10 Creators Edition
« on: April 29, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
Well, for me it was not so much the "Charley Echo" version as the "Charley Foxtrot."   ;)

I had to un-install it after a few days of searching the web for remedies to my several issues. Among the many things that stopped working for me:

• Windows Calculator (nothing loaded beyond the initial screen)
  • Windows Store (same as calc, above)
  • MS Office 2013 (could not verify the license for any Office component)
  • Total War: Rome II (CTD on any video clips)
  • CH Manager (download button for maps greyed out)

If I might paraphrase a moment from the book "Microserfs"...

Microsoft: Dumb as a sack of hammers, weak as a box of kittens

:rolleyes:

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows 10 Creators Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
All three of our w10 machines updated to the creators addition with no problems.  Had no affect on AH or VR-AH.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »
It is a grab bag.  Seeing all manner of problem reports and they range all over the place.  Seems to be related to what is installed on the system and how much Microsoft dinks with the settings, but it is early.  Still sussing out the data.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »
Alright just watch this hilarious video testing results for W10CE. Haters gonna hate but W10CE is dismal failure for gamers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoJO_eThTY
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
I got nervous when Microsoft started talking about how they were going to improve gaming support in Windows 10.  You have to be able to read passed the marketing noise to get an idea of what might really be going on.

Still sussing it all out though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:19:18 AM »
Game mode is not about trying to seek higher FPS, but gaining more consistent performance. It even says that in the Microsoft release, so Linus went down the wrong path. In a game like AH it will always be better to limit the number of background processes, and other resource filling junkware, as well as using Game Mode (if you see ANY benefit at all).

Not like you don't already know that.

What I see is longer periods of smooth gaming, but with the petite-freeze issue still occurring at some time. Still too much legacy code remaining in Windows is my guess.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 06:08:24 AM »
Actually, we are finding more and more games which have these freezes when using DX11.  Some have worked around it (Oculus, for instance) and we are looking at those to figure out what they did.

Still a theory, but a working one, and more plausible than anything we have been able to come up with yet.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
What I discovered with Windows 10 CE was to uninstall all of the non-MS software that I use for content creation (Autodesk and especially Adobe). After that is done I did an OS reset and then reinstalled everything. Obviously, I have not had time to test AH, but I can tell you that the DX11 program freezes in 3DS Max, and Stingray have all gone away. The only game I have created since the update is a turn-based, casual game, so no I can't tell from that.

One program that absolutely will cause freezes, whether it is running or not, is Firefox. Just from experience.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 03:17:57 AM »
Well, for me it was not so much the "Charley Echo" version as the "Charley Foxtrot."   ;)

I had to un-install it after a few days of searching the web for remedies to my several issues. Among the many things that stopped working for me:

• Windows Calculator (nothing loaded beyond the initial screen)
  • Windows Store (same as calc, above)
  • MS Office 2013 (could not verify the license for any Office component)
  • Total War: Rome II (CTD on any video clips)
  • CH Manager (download button for maps greyed out)

If I might paraphrase a moment from the book "Microserfs"...

Microsoft: Dumb as a sack of hammers, weak as a box of kittens

:rolleyes:

Try clicking on the CH map file itself instead of trying to load it through Control Manager.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Creators Update busted my install of Office 2013 - it actually uninstalled it. WTH.  For my son's computer, it busted his soundblaster X-FI soundcard - mic wouldn't recognise anymore no matter what I did. It's as if it made it obsolete. Nice move micronuts.

WTFH Micro$oft. WTFH.

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
If your Office 2013 installation used a different email address for registering, then you did for your Microsoft Windows 10 account, they would remove the software.

To prevent it from happening, use "My Account" to insure the Office application is registered to the same email address as your Microsoft account is.

That is information I gathered while reading about all the problems with the Creators Update.  It may, or may not fix your problem.  Good luck.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
If your Office 2013 installation used a different email address for registering, then you did for your Microsoft Windows 10 account, they would remove the software.

To prevent it from happening, use "My Account" to insure the Office application is registered to the same email address as your Microsoft account is.

That is information I gathered while reading about all the problems with the Creators Update.  It may, or may not fix your problem.  Good luck.
Good point - I'll take a look Skuzzy. Thanks!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
Now that I'm officially using Win 10 now I've gotten thru the 1607 update in fairly decent shape (bought this copy of Win 10 Home on 9-'16) just had to go back thru the registry & reapply my settings to expose the CPU core parking settings in the Power plans and shut down ULPS\ZeroCore power saving for Radeon vid cards (MS just loves to "restore" their base configurations regardless of how mundane it is). I haven't figured out how to go about building a CMD-created shortcut in Win 10 to apply CPU priority\affinity due to MS changing the coding on how running processes are displayed in Win 10 (the methods that worked w\ Win 7 & 8\8.1 won't work w\ Win 10)....could always fall back on Prio or ProcessLasso but I ain't gonna back down just yet..........

Getting close to MS pushing the recent Creators Update down on me so I'll see how bad this update busts my chops.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 03:03:46 AM »
hehe glad you guys are "taking one for the team" on Windows 10. Keep up the good work while I enjoy nice stability with Windows 7 & 8.1.  :cheers:
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.