Author Topic: Time for another poll - this time it's about MA terrains  (Read 5017 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: RESULTS of the MA Terrain Poll
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
A pot of Kimche?

I'll be waiting on the porch for the delivery van...... :x
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Time for another poll - this time it's about MA terrains
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
Could be a while  :lol

Bustr, you must have some speculation about why BowlMA is so popular?   I thought there could be some sort of "newest map" halo effect, but Buzzsaw is fairly new as well, and it placed dead last.   And NDIsles has been around a long, long time, and it placed second.

Could it be the battleship groups?  BowlMA is the only MA map with those.   Or, is it the distance between fields, or the number and arrangement of spawn points for GV attacks?   Is the overall size of the map a factor?   The placement of strat targets?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
I listened to players for the two years I did the alpha\beta while they talked on range to each other. Interesting stories comparing their AH2 experiences to what they were seeing in the alpha and what they wished for as a reality when it went live. Learned a lot about GV's and GVer expectations and frustrations as we tested that aspect of the game. Air combat was simple, "get me into a fight as quick as possible". Simple solution, place as many bases as possible 19 miles apart with no alt advantage.

I trusted everyone to up and create activity because everyone wants activity to be part of. Size of the terrain appears to not matter as long as everyone can get at each other. Too many terrains were created to slow down NOE hoards of 30-60 players which today makes getting into a fight a long and boring process. And isolates the community from itself by balkanizing the activity. BowlMA 7 years ago would not last the night with the NOE hoards that terrorized the terrains. Today, an NOE large scale mission would create activity and excitement for everyone making for a grand evening of game play.

BowlMA is designed to make it easy to run over to the next field and stomp it if no one wants to defend it. And easy to defend it creating activity to attract more participants. And there is almost always some near by close airfield to up a fighter sweep from to gum up the steam roller. The battle ships are Hitech's fault, he made me do it, UhHu yepp, he made me do it. :O

I made an AH player friendly terrain to go break things with the toys Hitech scatters around the arena.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »
I nominate bustr for HTC "employee" of the year!

:salute  Sir!

(hint hint: make us some more please)

"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »
I'm not an HTC employee.

Oceania

I have to build all of the volcanic mountain ranges by hand on all of these Pacific Solomons and New Guinea style islands.

Base and spawn map from the blue print file.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
I'm not an HTC employee.

Oceania

I have to build all of the volcanic mountain ranges by hand on all of these Pacific Solomons and New Guinea style islands.

(Image removed from quote.)

Base and spawn map from the blue print file.

(Image removed from quote.)

I actually like the map, but think the islands on the outsides need to be taken out, it will make the map a little bit smaller and would condense the action better.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
nevermind
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Typically if I log on and NDIsles is on, I know exactly where to go for a fight. Right to the middle. No guessing no hunting no fight that is constantly moving.  That's why it was one of my top maps.

I guess instead of speculating on WHY folks voted the way they did, maybe pick the top 4 maps from your vote and ask people to write in why they like it if they voted it up.  :cheers: End the speculation. The same folks are still here standing around.

It's too bad there isn't a "Nuketown" kinda map for Aces High in rotation. The more people try with different maps and vote them up or down, probably the more we can move towards maps we like.

NDIsles has been around a long, long time, and it placed second.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
That's a good idea, Kanth.

Really we have 3 clear winners and then a group of not-so-much.  OK you guys, why did you rank BowlMA, NDIsles, CraterMA so highly?   What do these maps provide that the others don't?

I ranked ranked NDIsles and CraterMA highly because I like maps that have a real world look to them.  I liked BowlMA for the Battleship groups.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Kanth,

Ultimately you repeat microcosms dictated by the rules of base placement in the MA. Laying out a full arena design sucks, then everyone plays armchair general after you break your back second guessing you. Creating it by committee won't work because ultimately only one person builds it, you cannot farm our bits and pieces. And the committee is like asking 4 blind men to feel up an elephant and tell you what they think it is while you sculpt a statue of it by their directives.   

You rely on the game itself to be why people are really here, and that given the toys they paid for, will play air force and panzer commander in the sandbox. Buzzsaw is in it's own strange universe that doesn't resonate with the majority who are looking to play WW2 air war, so it's out of balance to make the general broadest group happy. All the change in ndisles did was make it so the current small numbers could find each other with the least amount of effort.

19 miles 3\4 sector is the separation rule for minimum distances with airfeilds. Those three are about 12 miles. Half the time 2 or all 3 of those fields are in the hands of a single country due to that small distance. I applied 19 miles to bowlma as much as I could, without over loading the players with an eye full of bases everywhere. Ndisles is very good on not overloading your visual perception of the map. Waffle only traded field types in tank town to shorten the flight distance to a furball. Some nights people want to take bases, some nights people feel lazy and don't want to fly or drive anywhere. I applied that to bowlma on a larger scale with repeated microcosms.

I'm not sure Hitech will allow 12 miles as a standard other than telling someone to do it as a one off, the primary airfields on that central island are over a sector apart and balance the game play. Until some bored geniuses during off peak time take advantage of the down sides to bases too close together and take away everyone's fun by capturing all of them.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
Logged in, saw buzzsaw, logged out.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
Logged in, saw buzzsaw, logged out.
Same here, that map needs to go. It's making a lot of players log when its a friday night.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
I swear, hating on buzz saw and night time must be the cool thing to do.

Last night on buzzsaw I found fun as easily as on any map.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
Ndisles has been my favorite map since I started playing the game because the center fight is always active and the base taking fight is good at creating larger fights.

Ozkansas was similar we just dont have the numbers to use it...well I think we do but I think the general population doesnt think so.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
I was just comparing the results of the raw vote to the Scottish STV, and it looks to me like Mindnao was robbed - it had more raw votes than Montis, but Montis came out ahead after all the rounds of suplus vote distribution.

I'll have to look more closely at why that happened later.   Doesn't change anything about the 3 favored maps.   Just curious about that result