Author Topic: collision model  (Read 20814 times)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
in one year of flying here I have never intentionally tried to collide with anyone, except once.  I tried to ram a c47 as I was out of ammo and after about 10 swipes was unable and ran out of gas. 
I understand the no damage part for both planes as we would have every one flying straight into one another, but I am also tired of constantly receiving the collide be it mine or there internet is slower.  if everyone that collided got the same damage that would be nice and also maybe keep people from getting so close.  I understand at times I will still be on the loosing end of the collision but at other times it is so aggravating when I get the collide and wings pop off and the other flies away to heavenly bliss. 
today I upped and the very first flight "collide" wings come off and the other planes nothing  :bhead  :bhead

-1. There is nothing wrong with the collision model.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
  if everyone that collided got the same damage that would be nice.

Consider how much you would like flying in a head on ,missing the other plane by 100 feet, and then being destroyed do to a collision.

HiTech

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »
Hitech are the issues we are seeing/some people are complaining about mostly due to inherent internet lag between various players and the server?

If so, is this related at all to the phenomenon of watching the floppy fish defense where aircraft maneuvers are happening too quickly to be transmitted and then smoothly represented on ither players front ends? I find that to be a greater nuisance.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »
Then you must learn how to avoid collisions flippz, you are the one that keeps flying unto people, not the other way around. Thats why you are taking the damage. Internet lag cannot cause you to collide, it just makes it harder for your opponent to ram you..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Is it just me or is this comet on about a 6 month orbit since like forever?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Is it just me or is this comet on about a 6 month orbit since like forever?

Collision topic comes up more rarely these days than it used to do  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Hitech are the issues we are seeing/some people are complaining about mostly due to inherent internet lag between various players and the server?

If so, is this related at all to the phenomenon of watching the floppy fish defense where aircraft maneuvers are happening too quickly to be transmitted and then smoothly represented on ither players front ends? I find that to be a greater nuisance.

They are not really related.

HiTech

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
again I try to not to collide as much as possible and at times when I ACCIDENTLY do collide I apologize immediately.  but right now hitec I feel as I already am on the loosing end of collisions as most time when I get the collide message I can usually still see the others persons air frame.  I mostly fly a yak 3 so I get in close in a fight unlike guys that fly bigger gun planes and stay out further.  there are also a few others I see complain about this occurrence.  and again I know when I hit a plane and I apologize accordingly.  I also know there are accidents, but I believe there is far too many occurrences for it to be my flying.   

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
They are not really related.

HiTech

Is there anything we can do to mitigate the 2nd one? Bettee internet connection or faster graphics card?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
Is there anything we can do to mitigate the 2nd one? Bettee internet connection or faster graphics card?
Improve your situational awareness.  That is the first and most important thing to do to minimize collisions.

Data travels through the internet at about .4 to .5 of the speed of light.  Even the speed of light would not be fast enough to eliminate lag.  I am in Texas, only a few hundred miles from the server, my ping time is usually about 45 milliseconds.  That is pretty fast.  However, I have no way of controlling or knowing what the ping time of my opponent is.  He could be in Dallas right next to the server, meaning we probably have a combined ping time of ~75 milliseconds.  He could be in Sydney or Tokyo and our ping time would be lucky to be 333 milliseconds.

The only reliable solution is to 1) keep situational awareness and avoid collisions on your end and 2) understand the limitations of the Internet and be forgiving of instances when it forces it's limitations into your evening's entertainment.

The collision system in AH is the best possible under current technology while also keeping the effect that consideration of collisions has on air combat in the game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
Improve your situational awareness.  That is the first and most important thing to do to minimize collisions.

Data travels through the internet at about .4 to .5 of the speed of light.  Even the speed of light would not be fast enough to eliminate lag.  I am in Texas, only a few hundred miles from the server, my ping time is usually about 45 milliseconds.  That is pretty fast.  However, I have no way of controlling or knowing what the ping time of my opponent is.  He could be in Dallas right next to the server, meaning we probably have a combined ping time of ~75 milliseconds.  He could be in Sydney or Tokyo and our ping time would be lucky to be 333 milliseconds.

The only reliable solution is to 1) keep situational awareness and avoid collisions on your end and 2) understand the limitations of the Internet and be forgiving of instances when it forces it's limitations into your evening's entertainment.

The collision system in AH is the best possible under current technology while also keeping the effect that consideration of collisions has on air combat in the game.

Karnak i was referring to the floppy fish issues

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »

Since AH runs on a data transport that can loose packets rather than delaying them (UDP), sometimes abrupt movements are going to look even more bazaar on your client vs the person that is initiating the snaproll or similar phenomenon. Graphic card and other memory limitations can play a roll with droping your frame rate and causing you to further experience gaps in perception, but the difference in plane location and any odd looking behavior does boil down to latency and the type of file transfer protocol the data is being transferred on.

Read up on TCP and UDP
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_transfer_protocols

There are benefits and drawbacks for each of them.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:34:46 AM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
chess grandmasters are able to predict around 15 moves ahead,  so what you wrote is possible   :D
we are not playing chess, I always lost at that as well.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
ok I get into a collision with another plane, in white letters in the text message screen it say so n so collided with me-his fault yet I go down he don't--another collision we collide in yellow letters it says I collided with so n so my fault I go down he don't. sometimes with a collide in white letter says he collided with me we both go down and same when he collides with me. in real life 2 planes collide both go down no wins no points.

in the game my opinion is if 2 planes collide no matter who is at fault both planes should go down. no matter if bullets hit target, both go down no points no kills awarded.
I don't try or look to ram or collide with another plane, I will ho on purpose but not ram
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:01:59 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
--another collision we collide in yellow letters it says I collided with so n so my fault

This is a common misconception. Those messages don't have anything to do with "fault". "You have collided" simply means there was a collision detected on your screen, on your computer two planes intersected with each other. "XY has collided" simply means there was a collision on his screen. None of that has anything to do with 'who's fault it was.

in real life 2 planes collide

In real life, yes. In AH, sometimes not. Just look at the wo pictures I posted, that's an 'asymetric collision'.
This is why there are two separate messages. Sometimes just you collide. Sometimes just him. Sometimes you both do.

in the game my opinion is if 2 planes collide no matter who is at fault both planes should go down

If both player have a collision on their screen, both take damage. Sometimes one plane with a collision just does not go down because the damage wasn't critical. Sometimes it goes down but you won't note it because you died first. Also, enemy planes have the nasty habit of pulling the trigger when getting close...
And again, the program doesn't care 'who's fault' it is.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman