Author Topic: What is Vehicle quadrant??  (Read 21348 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: What is Vehicle quadrant??
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
Many wirbles will thank you because human nature will be to rely on the 200yd GVDAR versus using eyes to look.

I was testing the GVDAR when it was first introduced....  Follow this coordinate, until it rotates, then turn and follow this coordinate... tank should be right here ---   PING PING PING  BOOM!    :O

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
I just shortened the plane range to 200 yards.

HiTech

I have no issue with icon range as long as the 10 ton tank isn’t invisible in an open field until 200 yards. They shouldn’t have Klingon cloaking devices while out in the open. Along the same lines as a c47 being invisible on the ground if its engines are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
I think this will all but kill tank town.........wtg
it has all but killed tnking period.. tanking was on the way out anyway imo.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »
I'll chime in with my two cents worth, and maybe offer HT some food for thought.......
I was against the reduced icon range to spot GV's even back in AH2, but I went along with it for a while, then real life took me away from the game for a couple years.
I did some GV stuff back then, and do it every once in a while now that I am back.
What if:
For AA GV's (M16, Wirbs, and Osties) the icon range was extended, and made equidistant?  If not 6K like it was for so long in AH2, then how about 3K, with the condition that the AA units cannot ID enemy planes for that same distance? After all, their purpose was to engage enemy aircraft, to even the playing field a bit.
Other armored GV's, the tanks, set it to 1.5 or 2K.  All they have for AA defense is a pintle mounted MG, so they could use a bit of help in evading detection.
Jeeps, M3's, 251's etc, and "thin skinned" vehicles icon range set to 1K or below.  They are helpless against even MG fire, and could use even more help in evasion and escape.
Dunno if it would be a nightmare for HT to code, or if it would even be possible, but it would make sense to even things up for the AA units vs the enemy aircraft. 
Again, just my thoughts on the matter........

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »

You can't use that argument. It's a straw man and it doesn't matter. Even if I don't GV much NOW, I still see and feel its impact as I'm trying to fly and fight. Don't get all elitist and say "you can't comment unless you got rank #1 on GVs the last 10 tours in a row" because it only hurts your credibility, not mine.

Nailed it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
Can I get a list of "perceived" things the AH GV game has been saddled with that are supposed to be killing the GV game. I've heard the root cause for almost 15 years, "Hitech is personally doing this to screw GVs because he won't consult us before he screws us".  Please just itemize the things so I can look at it from a terrain builder's perspective. I saw on Oceania at A61 an AH2 textbook GV spawn battle the other night that lasted for about 2 hours. So aside from programming things only Hitech can address, I've attempted to address up to now what the terrain editor allows.

1. -
2. -
3. -
4. -
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:27 PM »
Can I get a list of "perceived" things the AH GV game has been saddled with that are supposed to be killing the GV game. I've heard the root cause for almost 15 years, "Hitech is personally doing this to screw GVs because he won't consult us before he screws us".  Please just itemize the things so I can look at it from a terrain builder's perspective. I saw on Oceania at A61 an AH2 textbook GV spawn battle the other night that lasted for about 2 hours. So aside from programming things only Hitech can address, I've attempted to address up to now what the terrain editor allows.

1. -
2. -
3. -
4. -

bustr, NOTHING is killing the AH GV game.  From what I've read on here over time, the players who GV the most asked HT for, and received, special consideration some years ago with the reduced icon range.  They got used to getting what they wanted, which seemed to be insulation, if not immunity, from air attacks.
Just for fun, I wish HT would restore the old settings we had for years in AH/AH2.....6K icons going both ways.  The GV's and aircraft could spot one another at the same time.  It's a combat game, make it about combat, not about being able to sneak around undetected.
Barring that, if it's possible for HT to do, recode the GV's so their discoverability by air units is directly proportional to their intended use.  AA units should not have so large an advantage over their aerial counterparts.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40:50 PM »
+1 for reverting back to when we didn't have this...the problems with people in GVs is a resupply problem....tanks and whirbs are fine...even if they are driving hitting undefended towns.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »

You can't use that argument. It's a straw man and it doesn't matter. Even if I don't GV much NOW, I still see and feel its impact as I'm trying to fly and fight. Don't get all elitist and say "you can't comment unless you got rank #1 on GVs the last 10 tours in a row" because it only hurts your credibility, not mine.

It is a valid argument, though.  Because you don't GV in the current game, you seem to think that GVs and aircraft are equivalent platforms, but they are not.  Because of this misconception, you object to differences in sighting distances, etc., as you equate those differences to unfair advantage for GVs, which it is not.  If you did GV enough (including when the numbers are against you), you would realize that invisibility is the GVs only defence against aircraft.  The average (non Wirble) GV is to the average aircraft as is a deer to a deer hunter.  Because of this imbalance in capability to harm each other, the contest between the average (non Wirble) GV and the average aircraft is not really "combat", but more of a shooting gallery thing.  This becomes evident to those of us who GV a lot, especially if we do so individually (outside of horde base grabs). 

And keep in mind when I say this to you (in a mildly critical way, admittedly), that I have been on both sides of the fence.  Just yesterday I was searching for a single GV (which turned out to be a Wirble) using a plane.  Because I know how to conduct such a search, I quickly found the Wirble (which was stationary and not firing BTW) using my plane.  I was not damaged.  No big deal, and no rules change nerfing GVs needed.  (BTW, the technique is to use a fast fighter, and fly just skimming the tops of the trees, which usually allows one to see under the tree canopies.  The fast fighter (as opposed to a Storch) allows many runs, giving more chances to get that critical LOS revealing the GV.  The very low altitude prevents the GV from lining up a shot, especially if the plane avoids predictable lines of approach.  One then calls out the sighting to other GVs or ground attack aircraft.) 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:02:50 PM by TDeacon »

Offline buddyshamrock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
Did they have this ability in WW2? If they did ... great we should have it ... if not ... well dump it. Just my opinion.
Utah

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:34 PM »
Don't need the new quadrant, but my turning it off is not the answer, my opponent can still choose to use it. That would put me at a disadvantage.

With AH3 I do not have any problem locating gv's coming off the spawn once they are within sound range. I have no problem locating and eliminating spawn campers, as Kilroy so eloquently pointed out. All the needed tools are already available, you just need to learn how use them. bomb****s are going to be bomb****s, we are not going to get away from that, and it IS a good defensive technique. Not being able to see an M3 buried into the center of some tree's when you are skimming the tree tops is just tough.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
200 yds is to short.   :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2017, 06:52:42 AM »
2.5 mile sector boxes that turn color if a vehicle is in the square, and you are within 25 miles or so of the area is  currently appealing to me.

This way you still know some one is around, but you have a lot less information where except when they cross a sector line.

HiTech

I agree with the big guy I like the the sector radar for the GV's but not for the planes-but he may have disabled it by this post.

even with dar u still have to find the gv.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »

Oh you can comment, but doing so demonstrates your ability to ignore the fact you have no authority on the subject. It is clear that you feel its impact, heck I feel for you pumpkin just reading your emotive passage, but it doesn't even occur to you that you might want to give something more credible, more measurable in terms of game impact, than "feelings."
 -- and I didn't even have to get all elitist, unless that is your term for someone who uses grade school grammar.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
I may be wrong here. if you don't gv then you shouldn't be posting here-because you are reading and reposting what others are saying and pushing the argument to incite and forcing the argument on. stop what you are doing here. non gv'ers need not post here.
 :joystick:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.