Author Topic: Being King of The Hill - By yourself....  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Being King of The Hill - By yourself....
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »
1. I don't expect quarter, but rather a sense of fair-play. I realize that is simply too much to ask.... So point awarded to Wiley..

2. It is a recipe for frustration, but the frustration was already there and partially needed to vent i suppose.  lol Point wiley...

3. I'd liken it more to I beat the whole team to the endzone, and the mascot comes out and levels me. Like what the heck!?   Point deducted?  :headscratch:

SO overall I suppose it's simply a lack of respect and you're correct, if it's doable in game it's not "illegal".  But the crux of the post is in the title, if that's really how you wish to play the game, be prepared when there's nobody left in the sandbox.

:salute to the responses. Appreciate level heads...  :rock

3) He's not a mascot he's a player.  Point Wiley. ;)

First of all, just to be clear I don't mean any of this as browbeating, but as genuine questions.  Why are you equating no holds barred gameplay with "lack of respect"?

Maybe it's just me but it REALLY irks me when I'm playing a game against someone if they let me win.  If they're not giving me maximum effort, why are we even playing?  Outside of a training situation if you're in a position to beat me and don't take it, then any success I have is hollow and meaningless.  To me that's far more disrespectful than putting forth maximum effort.

Especially in a video game where you can't get hurt, why not go as hard as you can?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

First of all, just to be clear I don't mean any of this as browbeating, but as genuine questions.  Why are you equating no holds barred gameplay with "lack of respect"? .....Wiley.

I didn't think I was equating the two, rather differentiating "play hard" from play with a modicum of respect... The instance that set this off was having a player specifically follow a target back to base with more than enough targets along the way only to WAIT until i attempted to land to shoot me up...

Would you concede that following a player to base to shoot their crippled plane on landing is a D*ck move? If so, then I'd feel vindicated, but if you believe this is standard operating procedure and find nothing wrong with that behaviour then I'm just saddened.  :cry :cry :cry

I suppose I simply need to adjust my expectations...

I guess it happens to everyone at least once... lol it's not a great feeling when it happens, that's FOR SURE.

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
Would you concede that following a player to base to shoot their crippled plane on landing is a D*ck move? If so, then I'd feel vindicated, but if you believe this is standard operating procedure and find nothing wrong with that behaviour then I'm just saddened.  :cry :cry :cry

Sure it's a dick move.  With that said, regardless of how he got there, why would you expect an enemy who is over your landing field not to attack you when you go to land?

Simply put, to me "play hard" means the other side is justified in doing anything they can to me if I give them an opportunity.  Having to limp home if the guy chooses to follow me and no friendly is available to clear me just means I'm SOL, I'm at his mercy.  Appreciate mercy when you get it, but expecting it is kind of silly IMO.

If the red guy's plane is still under control, it hasn't been shot enough yet.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Sure it's a dick move. ..... Appreciate mercy when you get it, but expecting it is kind of silly IMO.

Wiley.

Fair enough.  :salute
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
I wish someone would let my one winged, smoking bird make it home. But trailing smoke and missing parts is blood in the water. I have seen people dive from 10k to the deck ignoring every other plane to catch a crippled bird. Unless a squad member or fellow countryman saves your bacon you are meat in a plate. I will let a wounded bird leave if it was an awesome fight. Now if I know who it is, and they are a general piece of crap in game then I won’t, and those in that category grow everyday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
I wish someone would let my one winged, smoking bird make it home. But trailing smoke and missing parts is blood in the water. I have seen people dive from 10k to the deck ignoring every other plane to catch a crippled bird. Unless a squad member or fellow countryman saves your bacon you are meat in a plate. I will let a wounded bird leave if it was an awesome fight. Now if I know who it is, and they are a general piece of crap in game then I won’t, and those in that category grow everyday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will admit, if an enemy has frustrated me and is limping home, I have been known to run him down on occasion.  :lol  If he has been working the crowd from advantage, got damaged, and is running, that can do it for me.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:06 AM »
I suppose I simply need to adjust my expectations...

Welcome to the club.

Really, this is nothing new, the divide goes WAY BACK.  One of the things that got me into trouble as an AvA staff member was pushing a code of conduct.  While there are many who will adhere to such a notion (the sportsmen, as I think of them), the vast majority (the competitors) do not and don't agree with it.  That's fine, the "real war" attitude perhaps is appropriate.  I haven't stopped trying to land a crippled plane, and when I find someone who passes up the easy kill, when I see someone who buzzes me on takeoff instead of shooting me, when someone doesn't HO on the merge, I know I have a friend in spirit.  That is a great comfort.

Hey, this is still a lot of fun.

- oldman

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 02:15:36 AM »
If your red your dead :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
witnessed last night before FSO and after.  I have been here just a shade over a year, never played a video game before this one, but I seem to have noticed a bit of different level of game play of just being here my short time.  this game seems to have the individual play concept with the group objective idea.  the only problem is seems the group play is for Individual promotional score as witnessed by the rook attack at 22 last night.  I think there was every rook on at 22 and there was no base capture?  really two cvs there two spawns in and air dominance. but if there was 50 rooks there I think there was only three actually attempting to capture the base, the other 47 were there for self gratification and score padding.  nothing wrong with that just wish yall would fight like that when caught 1v1.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
Op is correct.  Vets who play their own way for their own 15 dollars are lame and boring and degrade gameplay.  Been a problem forever and exadurated by low numbers.  It is a inherent problem with a free world.  Dweeb gone be a dweeb.  To bad it makes people quit playing.  Ironically this lame play and low numbers almost forces average players to play the selfish dweebs game just to find combat.  That I pay to play my way excuse has repercussions a narrow minded player cant see.  He will see lower numbers as people quit.  Go figure.  :airplane: :joystick:  :old:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
this game seems to have the individual play concept with the group objective idea.  the only problem is seems the group play is for Individual promotional score as witnessed by the rook attack at [...]22 last night.  I think there was every rook on at 22 and there was no base capture?
[...] the other 47 were there for self gratification

We all are playing this game for some kind of self gratification in one way or another. You hardly play a game out of altruistic reasons ;)

By the way, I was there, flying top cover for our CV's. As long as I was on, the capture failed because of a combination of fierce resistance and resupply. Which wasn't entirely bad, as I repeatedly read messages along the lines of "...but we have a hell of a fight there."
I'm pretty sure if we had captured the base at that point, there would have been compaints about it as well, "WTG on killing the only fight on the map" or so.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
I wish someone would let my one winged, smoking bird make it home. But trailing smoke and missing parts is blood in the water.

I've got a cool story bro.

Once I was having a really nice 1-on-1 which quickly became a 2-on-1 as a Yak-3 came in at supersonic speed and I didn't have the time to prep and got my engine oiled in what I considered a lame shot. I killed the other fellow but the Yak-3 just kept zooming back up to his perch, waiting for my engine to sieze. I knew I couldn't match his e and that sometimes my engine would run for up to 9 minutes leaking oil. So I followed him into the vert and turned my engine off, ensuring my prop came to a visible stop. Then he engaged like a rabid dog, following me all the way to the deck just climbing again momentarily if the angles looks bad for him. Ended up flat turning on the deck, dead-stick and him gaining angles as my speed dropped. When I was sure I'd drained all his potential energy, I turned my engine back on, out-built him in airspeed and killed him. He logged after that without saluting. Strange.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »
I've got a cool story bro.

Once I was having a really nice 1-on-1 which quickly became a 2-on-1 as a Yak-3 came in at supersonic speed and I didn't have the time to prep and got my engine oiled in what I considered a lame shot. I killed the other fellow but the Yak-3 just kept zooming back up to his perch, waiting for my engine to sieze. I knew I couldn't match his e and that sometimes my engine would run for up to 9 minutes leaking oil. So I followed him into the vert and turned my engine off, ensuring my prop came to a visible stop. Then he engaged like a rabid dog, following me all the way to the deck just climbing again momentarily if the angles looks bad for him. Ended up flat turning on the deck, dead-stick and him gaining angles as my speed dropped. When I was sure I'd drained all his potential energy, I turned my engine back on, out-built him in airspeed and killed him. He logged after that without saluting. Strange.

LOL!  I hope I get to use that one someday.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Heck 8 or 9 out of the Top 10 in Fighter rank right now only engage from a position of advantage in a late war monster and with the numbers...if you don't agree your either one of them and lieing to yourself or you fly with them and probably doing it too....

been like that for years and won't change because people are worried about a score which is way too easily manipulated, which is why it should have a ladder effect to it....you kill someone of a higher rank you get more kill points and you get less for lower ranks....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
I have been here just a shade over a year, never played a video game before this one, but I seem to have noticed a bit of different level of game play of just being here my short time.

Did you join the forums years before playing the game? Says you been a forum member since Nov. 2008.  :headscratch: