Author Topic: Just a whine, Bishops and Rooks need not read, but Knights take heed.  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Just a whine, Bishops and Rooks need not read, but Knights take heed.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
It's teachable moment, but the people that need to learn aren't on the message boards.

Really need a video series on "How to furball in the Melee Arena" Maybe the masses, looking for help, would watch a YouTube video.

94% of Green Knights think...
1) it's a race to see who can shoot a bandit, instead of a team effort to clear the skies.
2) Never look to see if the bandit has a wing man they can engage instead of shooting over another Knight's shoulder at said bandit.
3) Have no idea how to fly to set up an opponent
4) Have no idea how to fly to kill a set up opponent before he kills the setter.
5) Never use the radio to coordinate with fellow knights around them

I can honestly say that....
1) I have cleared 20,000 pilot's six o'clocks in my day.
2) I have had my six O'clock cleared about 200 times.
3) I have been picked 20,000 times, while a fellow knight ignored the second bandit, and chose to shoot at the bandit I already had in a stall fight.
4) I have had 20,000 bandits shot off my 12 o'clock, and about 150 shot off my six O'Clock.

I'm struck by how long some people play this game and never really understand it. Apparently osmosis cannot be counted on as method for learning tactics in the Melee.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

Don't know if I agree with the rest of your post but this is the one I wish there was an unskippable video every time you start the game on.  "How to drag."  The number of people that bring them straight to you and then turn under the entirety of the red force in the area is astounding.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Don't know if I agree with the rest of your post but this is the one I wish there was an unskippable video every time you start the game on.  "How to drag."  The number of people that bring them straight to you and then turn under the entirety of the red force in the area is astounding.

Wiley.

:aok

...as for the rest, It's been certified by top NASA scientist to be dead-on-balls-accurate.  It's an industry term.
Who is John Galt?

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
It's teachable moment, but the people that need to learn aren't on the message boards.

Really need a video series on "How to furball in the Melee Arena" Maybe the masses, looking for help, would watch a YouTube video.

1) it's a race to see who can shoot a bandit, instead of a team effort to clear the skies.
2) Never look to see if the bandit has a wing man they can engage instead of shooting over another Knight's shoulder at said bandit.
4) Have no idea how to fly to kill a set up opponent before he kills the setter.

I'm struck by how long some people play this game and never really understand it. Apparently osmosis cannot be counted on as method for learning tactics in the Melee.

Man...when you put it in text like that....I truly am an ass....... but then again...I have always said...I am a really bad wingman...

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
My K-D rate went up a lot after I shut the radio off and quit reading chat.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 02:01:27 PM »

...but your teammate's dropped.
Who is John Galt?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

I can honestly say that....
1) I have cleared 20,000 pilot's six o'clocks in my day.
2) I have had my six O'clock cleared about 200 times.
3) I have been picked 20,000 times, while a fellow knight ignored the second bandit, and chose to shoot at the bandit I already had in a stall fight.
4) I have had 20,000 bandits shot off my 12 o'clock, and about 150 shot off my six O'Clock.

Well... Most players on this game havent sat in a classroom for 4 years learning ACM, Navigation, and wingman tactics. Gotta take that into consideration. Then the game itself is different than real life so even if you had all those classes, you still would have a hard time understanding that stuff right away. The MA is a cess pool of crazies looking to eat anything they can. There is hardly a such thing as "organized" in the MA. In order to really get good in the MA, you actually do have to take it seriously and be patient enough to learn most of the planes, and then learn the people who are flying them. I love the MA because IMO, it's a perfect representitive of nature.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »

Unfortunately for those that repeatedly shoot you down, you haven't disabled your ability to send us rage PMs.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
Well... Most players on this game havent sat in a classroom for 4 years learning ACM, Navigation, and wingman tactics. Gotta take that into consideration. Then the game itself is different than real life so even if you had all those classes, you still would have a hard time understanding that stuff right away. The MA is a cess pool of crazies looking to eat anything they can. There is hardly a such thing as "organized" in the MA. In order to really get good in the MA, you actually do have to take it seriously and be patient enough to learn most of the planes, and then learn the people who are flying them. I love the MA because IMO, it's a perfect representitive of nature.

This is my point exactly. Some Training is needed. Perhaps if it was in the form of an easy to watch YouTube movie, it might gets some views.  Christmas shutdown is coming. I may make this my next project. Need some good yet inexpensive video editing software.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Rule # 1. You can't ever expect anything in the MA.

Kill quickly and get out of the fight.

Don't expect other players to do anything, that goes for any side or team you play with.

+1
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
Dont rely on everyone else to check your 6. Thats your responsibility. Lesson learned,move on.
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I know what you mean about some idiot diving in front of you when you are shooting at the red guy, I can be 400 back and press the trigger and some idiot dives in with no warning and I get kill shot. My other pet peeve is the idiots that see you blow the wings off of a red guy and he is going down and they still swarm in 3 or 4 at a time firing away at the poor red guy going down. I always call out when I shoot someones plane apart but no one seems to care.

Last knight, 11/18, prime time.  I flew for three hours, the only check sixes I received was from my own squad members.  I'm flying on a mission to kill VH in support of V66, in a Heavy P38L, I'm above 15K, another Knight in a spit14 is on the deck, running from a spit14.  He's calling out for help asked me to help him, pleads with me.  I turn in on the nme spit and I tell the Knight that I can only bounce the guy, you will need to help me kill him.   He says sure, I hold my ords and bounce the spit14, and I attempt to bring guns to bare, only to see my team mate, continue on his run to the nearest Knight base.  Now I got to dump my ords to fight this spit and it doesn't go well, I waited much to long to dump the ords.  Next while fighting in a sustained dogfight with a Rook P38L at V66, I'm in my P38G.  He's doing vertical loops, I'm working him, got his port engine smoking, he's continuing in his vertical loop and I'm adding lots of flap and bring my nose up on target and hitting him with my 50's and start to open up with my cannon and some Knight clown cuts in front of me, he kills the 38 and I get killed by my own stream of cannon hitting this clown, Shot myself down.   In my 20 minutes in the area of V66 I got no friendly check 6's from other Knights although I gave a bunch, a lot by key and some on the common radio when the Knight hicks shut up long enough to allow others to use the radio.  You long winded story tellers please invite those that want to hear "how great a french kisser you mom is" to a separate channel so that Knights actually playing the game in the battle, can communicate.   
End of whine.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Hartmann

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
It's the same in almost every furball in any flight sim. We only have ourselves to blame  :cheers:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »
I can be 400 back and press the trigger and some idiot dives in with no warning and I get kill shot.

Yeah...so...why are you shooting from 400 back?

- oldman

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 02:42:45 AM »
That was an example oldman it could be any number back people dive in front of you with out warning. I also see friendlies all the time chasing one lone red guy away from a base with a white flagged town. Just a couple pet peves.
How is your RL flying going?

Yeah...so...why are you shooting from 400 back?

- oldman
Tour 70 2005 to present