Author Topic: Shade Accounts  (Read 18043 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Shade Accounts
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »
Its like everyone forgot how to take bases even

Fun facts: The rate of base captures per played hour hase gone up a lot in the past few years and nowadays it is actually on par with the golden age of NOE basegrabbing  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
And on topic:
Sometimes I don't get this obsession with shades. As long as no harm is done, what does the name of a pilot matter?

Each time I reopened an AH account in the recent years, I played under a different names for like two weeks before getting my old handle back. It wasn't a second account, I didn't harass anyone, I didn't stir things up on any channel and I was never posing as a n00b. I just played my game.
Each time I had players going ballistic after getting shot down, 'accusing' me of being a shade, 'pretending to be a new player' and vowed to 'expose me'. Obviously getting killed by a name they don't recognize is a grave insult.

No, I really don't get it.   :headscratch:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Once they changed that to 50 ft it's damned near impossible. Ever tried to hold a set of Lanc's @50ft or less? Those big wings generate a lot of lift!

NOE is 65 feet, not 50 and it's quite easy to keep a plane under that, or even under 30 feet if you want to... it takes a bit of patience, and manual trimming works much better than autopilot that will normally lift about 30 feet after hitting it.  But basically, if you can make sure your lift is as close to 0 as possible when below 65 feet then hit your autopilot, it should normalize just about where you pressed the button.

If you're in a dive or climb and do it, it will try and normalize flight before it goes level.  The computer, being safe, will normalize by pulling up rather than augering you.

It's really not impossible, I do it all the time.   :old:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
And on topic:
Sometimes I don't get this obsession with shades. As long as no harm is done, what does the name of a pilot matter?
No, I really don't get it.   :headscratch:

I'm with you Snailman.  But having heard comments on vox it seems some are concerned & convinced that people use shade accounts for cheating.  Personally I like to avoid drama in the game, and try to even avoid engaging in such concerns.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
Dar bar is still ABOVE 200 ft is it not? With Radar down? That to my knowledge, is same as always- well as long as I have played? That was my point really, we used to kill a few radars then NOE a mass group under 200 ft and roll bases all day. Had some great fights after about the 3rd take, when REDS caught on! Thats how I learned this game, checking down times, setting salvos, dive bombing, ect. When this was happening on a regular basis,I could easily play for over 150 hrs a tour :rock Always wished we could start a wager board for which guy would smack the next tree :O
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2018, 01:46:59 AM »
NOE is 65 feet, not 50 and it's quite easy to keep a plane under that, or even under 30 feet if you want to... it takes a bit of patience, and manual trimming works much better than autopilot that will normally lift about 30 feet after hitting it.  But basically, if you can make sure your lift is as close to 0 as possible when below 65 feet then hit your autopilot, it should normalize just about where you pressed the button.

If you're in a dive or climb and do it, it will try and normalize flight before it goes level.  The computer, being safe, will normalize by pulling up rather than augering you.

It's really not impossible, I do it all the time.   :old:

Over sea, or land?

I find it difficult to tell what exactly 65 feet above the ground *is* over undulating terrain. I also don't have any frame of reference for how high the AH trees are. In any case since AH trees and buildings don't interfere with dar the way real ones do (or did in WW2, before there was Doppler radar) I don't even try to stay NOE over them. If you're not colliding you're almost certainly on dar.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
I believe that if the radar is up, you need to be under 65 ft. so your icon does not show on the map and you show no dar bar.  You can be above 65ft. and below 200 ft. with the radar up and will show a plane icon and no dar bar.  If the radar is down, you can fly under 200 ft. and will show no plane icon on map or dar bar.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »
 :aok
I believe that if the radar is up, you need to be under 65 ft. so your icon does not show on the map and you show no dar bar.  You can be above 65ft. and below 200 ft. with the radar up and will show a plane icon and no dar bar.  If the radar is down, you can fly under 200 ft. and will show no plane icon on map or dar bar.

one-eye
:aok Thanks, thats what I thought! See what I mean? Its like we got to AH3 and everyone forgot the rules :O
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »
You're certainly not bringing a set of lancasters into a dar ring over land without generating a dar dot.

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
You're certainly not bringing a set of lancasters into a dar ring over land without generating a dar dot.

We don't have dots any more....now it shows a bomber or fighter, they went are arcade route

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:08 PM »
We don't have dots any more....now it shows a bomber or fighter, they went are arcade route

Not entirely. Dar mimics both radar and spotters. Probably more spotters.

The game difference is that since the same planes are used on all sides the spotters can still tell an enemy fighter or bomber from a friendly.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:50:23 PM by Arlo »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
 :aok Makes sense  :O wait...is that allowed anymore :x

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2018, 03:36:12 AM »
Not entirely. Dar mimics both radar and spotters. Probably more spotters.

In that case, there ought to be some indication of altitude.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2018, 04:01:26 AM »
In that case, there ought to be some indication of altitude.

Spotters that are three dimension-ally challenged. But maybe it could be coded (bearing in mind that's not my skill):

Slight green tint = less than 5000
Slight orange tint = 5001-10000
Slight blue tint = 10001-20000
Slight rainbow tint = 20001+

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
Gonna have to check it out if it's changed.