Author Topic: WTH is up with video cards?  (Read 27444 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline firbal

• Nickel Member
Re: WTH is up with video cards?
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
As you know, modern processors (CPU's) can have multiple cores, 2 and 4 cores being the mainstream and 6 or 8 widely available. The more cores, the more simultaneous calculations can be performed. Mining bitcoin is calculating. When you get a result, you earn some. Of course the calculations are much more complicated than 1+1=2 which of course means that more processing power = more calculations = more possibilities to "find" a "coin" in a certain period of time.

Now you may know that video cards are very similar to computers. They have a processor and memory just like the computer has. The main difference is that the video card processor can have hundreds of cores instead of, say, 8. And they're fast. So instead of chaining hundreds of computers you can achieve the same calculating power by getting one single high end video card. Not to mention you can SLI/Crossfire several of them in a single machine.
Ok, I think I get the jest of it, but still does not make since to me. You mind a coin but it is not real and you can not use to to buy a product? And I have been wondering why the 1080's have not come down in price. Been wanting to up grade for a while but not at these prices.
Fireball
39th Fighter Squadron "Cobras in the Clouds"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2018, 01:45:13 AM »
Bitcoin is like American Football.

Its money but you cannot spend it :rofl

Its called football but you hold the ball :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2018, 02:42:29 AM »
Next thing we know, Zack is going to be insulting fine yellow mustard.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
Ok, I think I get the jest of it, but still does not make since to me. You mind a coin but it is not real and you can not use to to buy a product? And I have been wondering why the 1080's have not come down in price. Been wanting to up grade for a while but not at these prices.

You can buy products using virtual coins. According to the authorities it's very popular for paying criminalized things such as assaults, drugs, murder etc. since the transactions can't be tracked. Of course you can use it for legitimate payments as well. There's hundreds of companies accepting it for payment, including Microsoft, Newegg and Tesla. You can also get a BitPay Visa Prepaid Debit card which is accepted most everywhere.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Until it crashes and then you cant...

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
Until it crashes and then you cant...
Exactly.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
I am normally a technophile, but I do not foresee bitcoin surviving, particularly when they start to subvert individual countries control of currency. It will become an illegal form of currency just like it is in China.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »
I could care less about Bitcoin, other than the fact that it destroyed the price/age curve for gpus. I bought a 1080 GTX for $470 just before the miners started sucking up the gpu supply. I wanted to get another one and many months later, the 1080 GTX is still selling for retail or higher instead of being the same or cheaper than the last time I bought one. On the bright side, the miners may break me of my flight sim habit and I will return to building model airplanes since I have a closet full of models waiting to be built so they can join the rest hanging from my ceiling.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2018, 11:41:06 PM »
When coin mining takes a dive or when the current crop of GPU's isn't good enough for mining anymore -- there will be a flood of cards for very low prices.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
Bitcoin may or may not survive, the technology behind it (blockchain) will survive, and keep the urge to harvest whatever the application in the future..

I don't foresee the banks doing all the future blockchain computing themselves without internet users free computer power, its very computer intensive, and it save big $.

Some companies/countries look at internet computer power as something to be harvested for free.

Some countries might even make it illegal to stop the country's asset management from using your computer power for their use (think china).

Imagine what a future billion computer power cluster is worth.

I am normally a technophile, but I do not foresee bitcoin surviving, particularly when they start to subvert individual countries control of currency. It will become an illegal form of currency just like it is in China.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »
On the bright side, the miners may break me of my flight sim habit

It broke me of my interest in Aces High, I am in full agreement of this statement.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
Luckily, since the launch of AH3, my ancient GF 790 GTX 2 GB card provides a very playable experience. As much as I've considered an updated card and possible transition to Oculous VR, current player #'s leave me nervous about the wisdom of an investment of +/- $1K towards a singular game experience that for all intents and purposes, seems to be hovering in defacto limbo.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
I find that a $140 GTX 1050 is fine for Aces High -- 60 fps with slider set to "none".

Del, come back in!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
I am currently canning farts for the big demand on those in the near future.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)