Author Topic: WTH is up with video cards?  (Read 27447 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: WTH is up with video cards?
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2018, 06:57:06 AM »
The video card industry is in a mess right now.  The cryptocraze really made a mess of things.  NVidia's partners have a glut of new video cards in inventory.  Probably going to either take a write-down on or sell at a loss to get rid of them. 

The new cards are looking like they may not be all that great, for the money.

This effects of the cryptocraze may be felt for the next two years.

Personally, I would not touch a used 1080 or 1080Ti, simply because you have no way of knowing how it was configured or what it was actually used for.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:45 AM »
This effects of the cryptocraze may be felt for the next two years.

See you all in two years!
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
See you all in two years!

You really got burnt out that bad, crow?   :D

Del, my INTEL system is over 7 years old and I have an AMD system a little older as well as an AMD system that is over 4 years including the video card

I have no issues flying AH3 on any of them.....

Hope life is treating you and your family well!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2018, 03:21:47 AM »
A $130 graphics card runs AH3 just fine.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2018, 02:41:35 PM »
I keep watching the prices. I haven't decided whether to buy a 1080 that equals mine for my son or upgrade my pc with a 1080 Ti and give him mine. It all depends on how far the prices fall for both. I am in no hurry and could even wait for the next gen prices to fall.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Agree with Skuzzy on any used cards of the 10xx gen, 3/4 of the used ones IMO will be ran hard doing crypto.  There should be a pretty good sale with all the stock of the current series of nVidia, some AMD too although they are more scarce in my parts - buy a new card @ sale price if anything if you need to upgrade.

Regarding the 2080 series - the jury will be out until more gamer related sites/channels/writers get their hands on them, and start running some benchmarks.  Early reviews for the 1080ti have shown about a 30 to 35% increase with most current games.  For a card that costs SO much more than the 1080ti (I paid 900$ for my 1080tis, it's $1650 CAD to pre order the same Asus and Evga equivalent).  That's a huge increase in price for not all that huge a boost in performance. 

Still, for VR cockpit games, every little bit of performance can make the experience a whole lot better IMO, so I'm going to try at least one 2080ti and see where we land with that.  I'm hoping Intel 9900k CPUs are out shortly as well, and will try running a 2080ti on that and see how it compares to the current standard 8700k/1080ti deal.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2018, 07:51:34 PM »
I have generally paid $200 to $300 for all of my video cards. I almost always wait for prices to fall and get one of "last year's" best. Up until last year, I always got AMD as well. When 3dfx went bust, I used my Voodoo 5500 as long as I could then caught a Radeon 8500 128Mb on sale and had been happy with AMD/ATi ever since. But when my HD 7970 GHz edition got a little long in tooth and I found a GTX 1080 for $470, AMD had nothing even close in performance. But I don't think I am going to make it a habbit of spending $500 or more on a gpu. If AMD can't compete and nVidia continues to jack up prices, I will stop PC flight simming and dump the money into something else like my car or a real pilot's license.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2018, 06:08:22 PM »
My R7 240 2gb works just fine for AH3...and there are a lot better cards out there cheaper and better than it...way better than it
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Budget gpus aren't going to cut it for me anymore. VR needs as much horsepower as it can get, especially in my primary sim, DCS World. P3d with Orbx makes VR unplayable and even loads down my system with higher graphics settings in 2d. My 1080 is at best adequate. My HD 7970 GHz edition is still a great gpu... but way too slow for what I am doing right now. I hope cpu's, motherboard chipsets, RAM, and gpu's all make a huge leap forward so that VR can have both a higher pixel density AND wider field of view. If VR just had the pixel density (pixels per degree of field of view) of my 46-inch 1080p LCD TV that I use for flight simming and it could run at full frame rate while doing so, I would  never fly without VR. But the present effect of taking a lower resolution and spreading it over a wider field of view is to remind me of what gaming looked like on an old 640 x 480 monitor, though with really good anti-aliasing, it looks more like 800x600. For the time being, I alternate between VR and 2-d monitor depending on what level of graphics I need. It is painful to switch back-and-forth as it brings out the flaws in both approaches. When I go back to a conventional monitor, TrackIR doesn't even come close to replicating the smoothness, accuracy, and 1:1 ratio of VR. But the improvement in graphics is so dramatic, it almost hurts my eyes to go back to VR.

While I really want and need high end hardware like never before, I don't think the ends justifies the means. Having paid $470 already tested my limits, though the results in VR made it worth it. But more than that is out of the question unless my paycheck doubles to match the inflation in gpu prices.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
I don't have the money for vr so I don't have to worry about coming up with the money for a high end card :joystick: :airplane:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »
You really got burnt out that bad, crow?   :D

No, I actually miss AH. I just can't stomach the inflated prices for a card that isn't even top of the line. My argument that PC gaming was a great cost effective way of enjoying a diversion, but it is no longer as cost effective and makes my stance unsubstantiated.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
No, I actually miss AH. I just can't stomach the inflated prices for a card that isn't even top of the line. My argument that PC gaming was a great cost effective way of enjoying a diversion, but it is no longer as cost effective and makes my stance unsubstantiated.

Well brother, if I can be of any help, let me know what you are currently using and let me see if I can find something better for you....

Shoot me a personal message if your computer specs.... I'll see if I have something better for you

~S~

TC /  Johnny
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:15 AM »
It depends how high your requirements are. I'd still call my system cost effective and also powerful enough to run AH3 at default settings. The motherboard and the case being ten years old are the only original parts. The CPU, RAM and GPU have been bought second hand, the previous ones being sold away. The PSU has been changed a couple of times to suit the current GPU, again the old one being sold. The most expensive single upgrade was the current GPU, a GTX970 which cost me €150 second hand minus the Single Malt Scotch I traded my previous card for. The net cost for the other upgrades has been about €30 each. All included I suppose I've spent about €250 during the last decade for keeping this system up and running. If memory serves me right, the original rig was about €650 back then. Plus the monitor, of course, which I still have. I'd call an average of €25 a year quite cost effective!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2018, 04:21:28 AM »
Its not AH3, or any other version of AH that caused me to change video card, other games (sims) are far more demanding in terms of graphics.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
Well brother, if I can be of any help, let me know what you are currently using and let me see if I can find something better for you....

Shoot me a personal message if your computer specs.... I'll see if I have something better for you

To be honest, I was partially looking for an excuse not to return at least until my workload diminishes. You've always been a stand up guy, TC. Heck most of the community in here are good people as well. I am just irritated at the blatant greed I see around me and it swear it worsens every year.

To use a historical reference, if these cryptocurrency "California Gold-Rush diggers" want to mine for gold dust, so be it. Unfortunately, they are harming society with power demands (among other things) and do not have the sense to realize that some may get a gold nugget, but it is the guy who sells the miners the shovel that will make all the money.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"