Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28701 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
Word is they have new players joining in everyday, but most do not stay. Maybe its because they cant find the action on the maps? With the new dar it is very easy to see where the action is and so maybe more will stay longer trying to get into that action.

Do new players leave because they "can't find the action", or instead because they die quickly?  If the latter, then making them more visible would seem to be counter-productive. 

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »
My current thinking is it will change Tuesday with a new test consisting of full radar in tower (with the exception of below radar), and different settings when in flight.

HiTech

You still would have people in the tower vectoring friends to targets.  So I would expect pretty much the same thing. 

(I see this going in a direction which favors hordes over single player, and unfortunately for me, I'm in the latter category.  I can't see the single player surviving combat without retaining previously existing stealth elements.  For example, it was always less enjoyable to fight in enemy dar than otherwise, because opponents would quickly converge on my 1-1.)

MH
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:38:39 PM by TDeacon »

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
Do new players leave because they "can't find the action", or instead because they die quickly?  If the latter, then making them more visible would seem to be counter-productive. 

MH

They leave mostly within five to ten mins.   They do not stay long enough to die.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
You still would have people in the tower vectoring friends to targets.  So I would expect pretty much the same thing. 

(I see this going in a direction which favors hordes over single player, and unfortunately for me, I'm in the latter category.  I can't see the single player surviving combat without retaining previously existing stealth elements.  For example, it was always less enjoyable to fight in enemy dar than otherwise, because opponents would quickly converge on my 1-1.)

MH

I am a lone wolf and I’ve done just fine.   I have also wound up flying with wingmen in ad hoc groups.   Best fights in years. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:46:44 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
Bucking for a PNG or something?

WBs died because Wild Bill was an arse.  That and AH ultimately created a better product.  Reducing radar and icon ranges in WBs hurt it more than anything.

Hitech is on the right track here.   The whining is a bit much.

It was not just an arse....   it was tangible.   Wilbil failed to upgrade the  graphics engine  and instead focused on profit motive squeezing existing players and  introduced gamey  'fighter'  options.   I was there for all the failures.

At the time  Hightech  left warbirds and grew  Aces high into an advanced game.  but  guess what it too has  become stale,  preferred  'fighters'  and  'furball's    and  sacrificed realism for dogfights.

THe results are obvious. The bad decisions  have reduced arena #s.   There is  no doubt on those facts.

Either you innovate or die.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:57:59 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:00:56 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
It was not just an arse....   it was tangible.   Wilbil failed to upgrade the  graphics engine  and instead focused on profit motive squeezing existing players and  introduced gamey  'fighter'  options.   I was there for all the failures.

At the time  Hightech  left warbirds and grew  Aces high into an advanced game.  but  guess what it too has  become stale,  preferred  'fighters'  and  'furball's    and  sacrificed realism for dogfights.

THe results are obvious. The bad decisions  have reduced arena #s.   There is  no doubt on those facts.

Either you innovate or die.

Either you ADAPT or die.   Hitech is already innovating with VR.  He’s working on adapting by gathering data and testing configurations.   

I slogged the whole WBs death march myself.   That’s why I wound up here. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 68EZPkns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
He started dumbing down the game by adding GVs. That way folks who came to ACES HIGH and could not fly could instead be moving ground targets.

If you think you didn't deserve that.... re-read your own post.
[/quo

How did adding GVs dumb down the game? Be thankful for them, without them this game would probably have already folded.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »
So my initial impression of full dar tonight was the same as everyone else. I hated it. I hated it because I couldn't play the way I used to. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone and try new tactics. While difficult to do, it was definitely breathing some fresh air into the same old stale game play. I knew where the fights were and I could up near them. Frustrating at first but action packed all night. Great job guys.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »
So my initial impression of full dar tonight was the same as everyone else. I hated it. I hated it because I couldn't play the way I used to. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone and try new tactics. While difficult to do, it was definitely breathing some fresh air into the same old stale game play. I knew where the fights were and I could up near them. Frustrating at first but action packed all night. Great job guys.

Bravo.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:14:05 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
They leave mostly within five to ten mins.   They do not stay long enough to die.

You are assuming a lot here.   It's quite easy to die in less than 5 to ten minutes if you are new.  You could crash on takeoff.  You could be vulched.  Etc. 

I am a lone wolf and I’ve done just fine.   I have also wound up flying with wingmen in ad hoc groups.   Best fights in years.

While I find the second claim of yours plausible (mini-horde flying), could you be more specific as to how lone wolf flying is easier with all-seeing radar? 

MH

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »
You are assuming a lot here.   It's quite easy to die in less than 5 to ten minutes if you are new.  You could crash on takeoff.  You could be vulched.  Etc. 

While I find the second claim of yours plausible (mini-horde flying), could you be more specific as to how lone wolf flying is easier with all-seeing radar? 

MH

It’s easier for me to get to the fight.   Also, because I know it won’t take me forever to find another fight I am less hesitant to enter into a fight regardless of the odds.    Hell, I announce my presence on radar and have the fight come to me.   Love it, win or lose. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
It’s easier for me to get to the fight.   Also, because I know it won’t take me forever to find another fight I am less hesitant to enter into a fight regardless of the odds.    Hell, I announce my presence on radar and have the fight come to me.   Love it, win or lose.

Hmm; OK.  I *never* had difficulty finding a fight in the MA, even at odd hours (e.g. European).  The problem was always finding the right kind of fight, which meant one where there was some chance of a satisfactory outcome. 

MH
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:32:04 PM by TDeacon »

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
Hmm; OK.  I *never* had difficulty finding a fight in the MA, even at odd hours (e.g. European; I'm retired).  The problem was always finding the right kind of fight, which meant one where there was some chance of a satisfactory outcome.

The day before full radar I participated in three base takes, maybe four, over a period of hours.   Nobody rose to defend. 

But the Bish and the Nits were having a ball.

Haven’t had that problem since...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
The day before full radar I participated in three base takes, maybe four, over a period of hours.   Nobody rose to defend. 

But the Bish and the Nits were having a ball.

Haven’t had that problem since...

Yes, but I doubt your base takes were "lone wolf".  If all you really wanted was to find a fight, no matter what the odds, all you had to do is up at a base being attacked.  Such a base is typically easy to find, which you as an experienced player are well aware of.  Problem is doing so is not always enjoyable.