Author Topic: What will it take? (for HT)  (Read 20231 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: What will it take? (for HT)
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »
AH is still a fun game, something you'd know if you actually played.

:rofl

He’s waiting for Aces High 4.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2018, 04:52:31 PM »
:rofl

He’s waiting for Aces High 4.

(Image removed from quote.)

Vraciu you are right...... those graphics were the best days of online flight sims,  1995-2005,  Air Warrior, Warbirds and AH.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
AH is still a fun game, something you'd know if you actually played.

It is a great game. I have a lot of fun. I really missed it while I was unable to play.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2018, 08:30:56 PM »
I think new players should be first introduced to some historical staged missions.

I made so many things for missions with just a rudimentary knowledge of 3D modeling and terrain building. I really would have liked to pursue it more but it was just so hard without any help.

These mission briefings etc I created by taking apart and rebuilding briefing rooms with custom objects making fake carriers etc.

Imagine what could be done just with what is in the game now by people who really know what they are doing.

https://youtu.be/1VfY0eJWQ-A

https://youtu.be/nxJ7FOrVHu0

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
About all players can do is try attract friends and people from other internet sights.

In the next few weeks I'll be running a test week of adds on the Hero Channel. If that shows a positive ROI things will start coming back.

Also I think a populated match play arena would help.

HiTech
You should really look in to ads on Twitch and YouTube. That’s how you’ll reach gamers. I was the age of the average twitch viewer when I played this game.
Army of Muppets

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
I think new players should be first introduced to some historical staged missions.

I made so many things for missions with just a rudimentary knowledge of 3D modeling and terrain building. I really would have liked to pursue it more but it was just so hard without any help.

These mission briefings etc I created by taking apart and rebuilding briefing rooms with custom objects making fake carriers etc.

Imagine what could be done just with what is in the game now by people who really know what they are doing.

https://youtu.be/1VfY0eJWQ-A

https://youtu.be/nxJ7FOrVHu0

Those are really cool! Well done!

Cinematic cuts to add into to mission briefings. Something familiar to "gamers" that would help "hook" them into the game.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
Those are really cool! Well done!

Cinematic cuts to add into to mission briefings. Something familiar to "gamers" that would help "hook" them into the game.

These weren't really an opening video splash either, they were part of the staged mission system briefing. I really had to get out of the box to do what the game was never really intended to do.

On the Pearl Harbor mission, I created a fake Jap carrier and put the rewired briefing room on that. Because the mission system wouldn't spawn correctly on the deck, I had to start the flights in the air so that you would see the fake GIF like animated sailors cheering as you went by. If the planes could have spawned on the deck I probably would have had to add a headwind so they could take off from a stationary object. Not to mention that with varying spawn points, it would be hard to get them all to spawn on the deck instead of in the sea, and of course the "bonzai" cheers timing would be off for some of the planes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:06:54 PM by jimson »

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2018, 09:49:17 PM »
I did a lot of other stuff too. I used an animated avatar site to make other briefings. They weren't in the actual game but posted on the forum for players to "attend".

This was all part of the "Mission Theater" deal I was running in AvA for a short period.

I was trying to create a "Combat Tour lite" if you will with an RPG career aspect. We didn't have a scoring system in AvA but I had spreadsheets for players to submit their after action claims.

My intent was to follow an American Eagle squadron from creation to being absorbed by the 8th air force.

Alas, you can't please everyone and a lot of folks complained that the AI were too unrealistic. Also, though the mission system had come a long way, it still hung up occasionally ruining a planned night. I don't know how much of that might have been my fault. Once you start modifying things as much as I did, you can't count on stability.

The biggest issue was that I couldn't get enough help doing it and it was just too much work for one person. It really was a "labor of love"
This video shows a lot of what there was. Forgive the computer generated voices, I had no budget for actors LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=64a7tXDANN4
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:05:37 PM by jimson »

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
I don't get out all that much so can someone enlighten me as to what is a "Sweetheartbag". If that is what is killing the game I will be sure to watch out for it.
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »
I don't get out all that much so can someone enlighten me as to what is a "Sweetheartbag". If that is what is killing the game I will be sure to watch out for it.

A "Sweetheartbag" is an auto fill HTC uses when someone types a "nasty" word they may offend someone.

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2018, 12:59:01 PM »
Thank you, we clearly can't have something like that ruining the game. I will remain on high alert.
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »
As whats his name says "Constant Vigilance!"   :D

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
As whats his name says "Constant Vigilance!"   :D

ETERNAL vigilance like Charlton/Phillips or something else, like CHECK YOUR SIX?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:38:26 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »
ETERNAL vigilance like Charlton/Phillips or something else, like CHECK YOUR SIX?

Actually it was Mad-eye Moody in the Harry Potter movies  :P

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
Actually it was Mad-eye Moody in the Harry Potter movies  :P

Ah, okay.  I don't watch Harry Pothead.   :P
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -