Author Topic: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....  (Read 2904 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Ciaphas...like I told puma...i find out or learn something new everyday

Ty for your service

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
The FSI F-86 dart tow rig.

The dart after someone skillfully cut the tow cable.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:04:21 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:21 PM »
The FSI F-86 dart tow rig.

The dart after someone skillfully cut the tow cable.

Appears to have a fairly steep approach angle?
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
As for the glove in the elevator I put a tandem pair out last.  When the last jumper leaves my normal routine was to roll steeply right to watch the cleat then it was left roll in a spiral to watch the decent. 

For exit RPM is back to bottom of the green and power nearly to idle, trim for slow flight.  As I would roll left a little tap of left rudder would bring the door down so I could latch it then MP to bottom of the green to keep temps up on the decent.  I would also start rolling in a bunch to nose down trim for got from 70ish trim to around 170ish.  On this iteration I was having to hold the yoke hard forward yet the nose was still wanting to come up.  I figured out the yoke would move. WTF?! As I was slowing thinking this thru the airplane was still applying physics and now the nose was up about 45 or so.  I did a couple repeats of roll 90 to bring the nose down and worked out a power setting that kept thing stable -- about 70-80 and decent at about 4-500 fpm.  I was at 11k so time to think things thru. I called the wife on company channel, she manifested for us, and told her I had a jammed control, I might have to get out of the airplane and to get someone outside to get a eyeball on me and watch where I end up.  Her was reply was a simple "Roger".  Sounded like Yeagers sister. :)  I let approach know I had an issue and soon after the boss came on and we started chatting.  I had already spun my head around when this first happened and spotted 4 fingers sticking up jammed between the end of the stab and the right end elevator mass balance.  Wedged right in there locking the elevator at about 2/3 UP.

I ended up putting on my gloves, zipping the suit up and yanking on the yoke.  At one point I locked well forward (not my happy position at that point) followed right after by full after.  I just kept it up until it finally fell out.  The only damage we found was a very slight bend in the sheet metal where the glove have been jammed.  Pee and a sandwich and away we went.  New rule though was jumpers had to be naked so I could check for gloves.

Being a tandem jump the student is in a loaner suit, we think maybe a glove was just stuffed in the suit and came out on exit.

206 rolls pretty nice if you need to. :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:07 PM »

Appears to have a fairly steep approach angle?

More than likely on takeoff, unless it was jammed like my instance and the dart wouldn’t deploy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:15:42 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 11:25:09 PM »
As for the glove in the elevator I put a tandem pair out last.  When the last jumper leaves my normal routine was to roll steeply right to watch the cleat then it was left roll in a spiral to watch the decent. 

For exit RPM is back to bottom of the green and power nearly to idle, trim for slow flight.  As I would roll left a little tap of left rudder would bring the door down so I could latch it then MP to bottom of the green to keep temps up on the decent.  I would also start rolling in a bunch to nose down trim for got from 70ish trim to around 170ish.  On this iteration I was having to hold the yoke hard forward yet the nose was still wanting to come up.  I figured out the yoke would move. WTF?! As I was slowing thinking this thru the airplane was still applying physics and now the nose was up about 45 or so.  I did a couple repeats of roll 90 to bring the nose down and worked out a power setting that kept thing stable -- about 70-80 and decent at about 4-500 fpm.  I was at 11k so time to think things thru. I called the wife on company channel, she manifested for us, and told her I had a jammed control, I might have to get out of the airplane and to get someone outside to get a eyeball on me and watch where I end up.  Her was reply was a simple "Roger".  Sounded like Yeagers sister. :)  I let approach know I had an issue and soon after the boss came on and we started chatting.  I had already spun my head around when this first happened and spotted 4 fingers sticking up jammed between the end of the stab and the right end elevator mass balance.  Wedged right in there locking the elevator at about 2/3 UP.

I ended up putting on my gloves, zipping the suit up and yanking on the yoke.  At one point I locked well forward (not my happy position at that point) followed right after by full after.  I just kept it up until it finally fell out.  The only damage we found was a very slight bend in the sheet metal where the glove have been jammed.  Pee and a sandwich and away we went.  New rule though was jumpers had to be naked so I could check for gloves.

Being a tandem jump the student is in a loaner suit, we think maybe a glove was just stuffed in the suit and came out on exit.

206 rolls pretty nice if you need to. :)

THAT is a prime example of the golden BB theory!  What a great story.  Thanks!

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 11:38:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Ciaphas...like I told puma...i find out or learn something new everyday

Ty for your service

~S~

TC

:salute
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 12:21:45 AM »
Thank you sir!

haha pilots are very kind to us.

so far I've put 11 pilots on the ground back home with their family.

we lost one over at Laughlin AFB when I was there. It was a shame that a checklist interruption cost that Captain his life. I was a responder to the crash site, it was very tragic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on ya!  That’s an enviable number of lives saved.   :salute

What happened with the checklist interruption?  If you don’t mind discussing it.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 12:51:09 AM »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
have a read through the mishap report:

https://media.defense.gov/2018/Aug/21/2001956841/-1/-1/0/171120-AETC-LAUGHLINAFB-T38-AIB-NARRATIVE%20REPORT.PDF

Wow!  Unnecessary tragic loss of life.  So sad.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 01:15:20 AM »
Wow!  Unnecessary tragic loss of life.  So sad.

Agreed, had the pre-launch checklist been finished, his MK16 ESUP seat would have been armed and he would have had thanksgiving with his family.

in my job, gratification is earned through mishap and the importance of our job is learned through tragedy. It's not a job most would want to do but it's still one that needs to be done.

with that being said, we had maybe 7 mechanics that had never been through an ejection, let alone one that was fatal. They learned in that moment that what we do is real and people depend on us to do our job without error.

it was something they needed to experience, they will, for the rest of their careers, cross their T's and dot their I's.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 07:26:51 AM »
it was something they needed to experience, they will, for the rest of their careers, cross their T's and dot their I's.

"Witness marks (scratches and indentations) on the Arming Lever of the MRP’s ejection seat at the
crash site indicated the arming lever was improperly placed in the “SAFE” mode, preventing selfinitiated
ejection."

Accounts like this make my blood freeze, when I think of how many times I've skipped over arming the parachute in the SR20.

Frozen blood just might spur me to pay better attention next time.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
Letting something cause one to rush and doing checklist by memory has bit more than one aviator.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »

"Witness marks (scratches and indentations) on the Arming Lever of the MRP’s ejection seat at the
crash site indicated the arming lever was improperly placed in the “SAFE” mode, preventing selfinitiated
ejection."

Accounts like this make my blood freeze, when I think of how many times I've skipped over arming the parachute in the SR20.

Frozen blood just might spur me to pay better attention next time.

- oldman
OM - you have one of those airplane parachutes for your SR20? Sweet. SR20 is a very nice airplane -and it's fast too (for a single engine non-turbine/non-turbo ). With that 170mph cruise speed, you could fly to Calgary in a single day, and pick up Puma along the way. :D

Great stories Puma and Columbo. :salute
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »
Calgary?!   That reminds me of a great F-106 story about opening the Calgary Stampede with a flyby.

Come get me Oldman!  I’m free for the next couple of weeks.  Plus, it only gets colder the longer we wait. 💨❄️🌨❄️💨. I say that based on surviving three winters at Minot, North Dakota. ⛄️