Author Topic: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
.......back to the tax payers.

To my mind and most everyone else who flew the F-4E, the absolute worst Emergency Procedure was a Dual PC (Power Control) Failure.   Why, requires a short systems ground school.  The stabilator in the F-4 was powered by two independent hydraulic PCs, one off each engine to the stab. 

If a very rare dual failure occurred, airflow would force the leading edge of the stab to the full down position and result in an uncontrollable nose pitch up of the Phantom.  At this point the crew would be along for the ride and have no choice but to eject.   

END O GROUND SCHOOL.

Here is a video that shows what would happen with a dual PC failure. The  incident in the video was caused by a lost tool socket that rolled into the stick well on takeoff rotation and froze the the stick full aft.  Different situation but, same result. Apologies for the advertisement at the beginning,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhajoju_7Qc&feature=share

So, here I am at Osan AB, ROK.  It’s February, bone chilling cold, and nasty weather most of the winter.  The bone chilling cold required wearing a poopy (anti exposure) suit because most of our flying was over the Yellow Sea in the ACMI (Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation) area.  The poopy suit was to prevent freezing to death in the cold ocean water after an ejection.

On this memorable day, we were flying an air to air gunnery mission.  We were going to intercept a Flight Systems International (FSI) F-86 carrying a dart tow rig.  The Sabre would release the dart out on a 2,000 foot cable, enter a constant turn, and provide us a stable target to shoot with the 20mm, six barrel, 6,000 rounds per minute cannon in the nose of the Phantom.  This was an incredibly fun mission.  Anyhow, we got in the area early because the Sabre had a mechanical problem and was late taking off.  He finally got to the area and had to air abort.  So, we went into max endurance mode at 28,000 ft and 280 knots and were about 150 miles out over the ocean.  The FSI guys were scrambling to get a second jet coming our way. 

As we waited, my backseater (who was one of two I ever flew with that I would have rather had his body weight in extra fuel) was reading the paper.  All I could see was newspaper in my mirrors.  I’m busy paying attention to our position (now closer to North Vietnam and China than Osan) fuel status and engine health.  It was a crystal clear day with huge whitecaps on the water from our altitude.  At one point, I remember thinking it wouldn’t be fun to be down there.

Finally, we hear the second FSI jet check in with the GCI controller.  As he reached his orbit point, the Sabre pilot reported the dart wouldn’t release from the tow rig.  At this point we had enough fuel to stay a few minutes but, there wasn’t another tow jet available to launch.  As I’m talking with the tow pilot and GCI controller, I hear snoring over the intercom.  A glance in the mirrors reveals a helmet resting on his right side canopy rail.  He’s dead asleep!  So, I do a sweep of the fuel gages and engine instruments.  There’s something amiss. The right engine oil pressure is gradually dropping.  If that wasn’t bad enough, the left engine PC presssure was dropping at about the same rate.  The two completely independent system gages were nearly matched in position and rate of decrease.

At first, I’m totally perplexed by what is in front of me and can’t figure out what is causing this bizarre picture.  So, thinking through it one step at a time, I (not we) am going to most likely lose the left PC.  That’s not so bad because there’s still the right PC.  But, wait!  The engine oil pressure is steadily decreasing and will most likely freeze and kill the right PC. 

I’m about to have the dreaded Dual PC Failure.  So it’s checklist time.  I first go through the Loss of Oil Pressure checklist.  Yada, yada, yada, secure the engine and perform a single engine approach and landing.  I go through that checklist and don’t plan on being that lucky.  I (sort of we) are now 120 miles out over the ocean with both gages getting close to the “0” position. Here’s  the very succinct Dual PC Failure checklist:

We weren’t equipped with an APU.

In the process of this, I’ve declared an emergency and told the GCI controller I’m headed direct to Osan.  Then, I called the SOF (Supervisor Of Flying, a senior pilot in the controller tower whose job is to track takeoff and recovery of all local flying and to assist with emergencies like this).  We discuss the situation and he asks if he can read me any checklists and my plan.  I advise that all checklists have been covered to include the Pre Ejection checklist.  At this point the snoring from the backseat abruptly stops and a nervous WTF is going on question is blurted out.  I tell the SOF we are coming straight to the field and will only get one shot at the runway based on the rate both gages are now approaching their empty sides.  I tell my now fully alert backseater what’s happening and what the plan is, and to do his individual Pre Ejection checklist.

By now, we’ve been drilling straight at the field and the approach end of the runway.  Oh, by the way, single runway we could make a straight in approach to has a huge tailwind.  So, we have to got the other end with about 135 degree turn to final from our direction of flight. As we get a visual on the field, a check of the two gages shows an uncomfortably low indication on both.  I didn’t look at them any longer.  Nothing to be gained at this point.

Gear and flaps down about a mile out, turn to final and roll out about a half mile.  The flight controls are still feeling normal.  Across the over run, flare, and started the throttles back to idle. As I continued the flare, the stick started losing the normal pressure feel.  Touched down, popped the bag (drag chute), and rolled out to the end and EOR (End of Runway) check area. After touchdown, I stop cocked (shut down) the right engine since it was showing zero oil pressure. 

We parked, chocked, shut down the other engine, safetied the seats, unbuckled, and climbed down to see what the back of the jet looked like.  The belly about midway down the right engine was covered with oil.  The left side at about the same point had a huge stream of hydraulic oil.  It was now time to go through maintenance debrief and get out of this stinking (literally) poopy suit.  I wrote the jet up and put it on a red X (grounded until repaired).

A couple of hours later, I called maintenance for a report on what happened.  The left side PC had a material break causing a leak.  When asked how much hydraulic fluid was remaining, the answer was zero.  The right engine oil system also had an unrelated material failure.  It was the same answer when asked much oil was remaining in the engine.  Amazed that the right engine didn’t seize, I asked why?  The engine oil was and is synthetic. It doesn’t break down and cause seizure instantly like conventional oil.  Apparently, the synthetic oil coating in the engine continued to lubricate just long enough to prevent a really bad day.  After rotating back home, I started using synthetic oil in my cars and do to this day.

Definitely dodged a bullet this day.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:07:23 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
 :eek: WOW! "Literally" stinky..."POOPY SUIT"...well as in, if it wasnt(poopy) before it was NOW :rofl  I would have had to "Dip a wing" and wake his arse up, maybe. Loved the VISUALS of your story telling....felt like I was there. Even my dog farted right on time, TRUE STORY :rofl  Brother, I will read everything you write! LOVE these stories :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it!  Lost of these “sitting around flying hands about”  stories to be told.   :salute

It was far better letting this guy sleep than distract me with his dribble.   :D

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »
We'll that beats the heck out of my "skydivers glove jamming the elevator on my 206".  Well done sure.glove

glove not clove!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:01:45 PM by colmbo »
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »
We'll that beats the heck out of my "skydivers glove jamming the elevator on my 206".  Well done sure.glove

glove not clove!
:eek: As in "How did he get a glove stuck in your elevator"----and the Ray Stevens Shiner's Convention song...."How DID you get that Harley onto the High Dive" :D  I feel a STORY! if you feel up to it... :uhoh :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »

glove not clove!

Well, that sounds plenty scary enough.  I remember you telling that story in the past.  Please refresh, at least my memory, and tells us again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:58:37 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »
The Thunderbirds lost a pilot this way.   I forget what they said the G load was when he pitched up but it was a LOT. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »
Forgot to mention earlier, maintenance R & R (Remove and replace)ed the right engine.  Didn’t follow up any further on the specifics of the failure.  I was done with that engine and it was no longer my problem. 

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
When all else fails, Egress prevails!

Thrust you can trust

haha, I've been Egress mechanic for over 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »
Dang Puma...the way you literally described that sortie almost gave me a "pucker" factor.....LOL

Thanks for sharing... Sux that you didn't have an APU, and was running of of huffer start.... I'll let you tell them what huffers are  :D

Thanks for sharing

~S~

TC

(Puma, did you ever get the chance to carry any nukes? If so call me...i've got a couple scary memories working with them)  LOX incidents as well
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:04:01 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »

glove not clove!

“No glove, no love.”

:rofl

:cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
Dang Puma...the way you literally described that sortie almost gave me a "pucker" factor.....LOL

Thanks for sharing... Sux that you didn't have an APU, and was running of of huffer start.... I'll let you tell them what huffers are  :D

Thanks for sharing

~S~

TC

(Puma, did you ever get the chance to carry any nukes? If so call me...i've got a couple scary memories working with them)  LOX incidents as well

Until the stick got mushy in the flare, I was mostly irritated about not being able to shoot the dart and the way odd mechanic problem.  When I felt the stick get soft in the flare, there might have been one pucker pulse but, then we touched down and it was a non issue. 

Surely there’s someone else in here that can explain a “huffer”. 

Never did nukes in the Phantom.  The primary weapon in the F-106 was the nuclear tipped Genie.  I never carried one with a warhead.  Every year each jet had to fire an inert Genie at a drone and “hit” within scoreable criteria.  I was fortunate to live fire three Genies.  An amazing experience.  Once clear of the F-106 weapons bay, it accelerated instantly to Mach 3 in addition to the over the Mach speed of the Six.

We did no notice nuke weapons load out recalls.  Oddly enough, the recalls (initiated by the squadron commander) were usually at O dark thirty Saturday morning after everyone had been in the O’Club the night before.  That was less than fun out on the ramp in the winter with a severe hang over and the typical North Dakota wind howling and driving the wind chill down to -20,-30,-40......etc.  Then if it was snowing, well, you get the idea. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:34:35 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »
When all else fails, Egress prevails!

Thrust you can trust

haha, I've been Egress mechanic for over 20 years.

You egress guys were a fighter pilot’s best friends, especially this one.  If we ever had to “pull the handles” that seat had to fire, sequence, and hang us promptly under a good chute.  I’ve always had the greatest respect for you egress troops!  Thanks for a job well done!  :salute

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
Thank you sir!

haha pilots are very kind to us.

so far I've put 11 pilots on the ground back home with their family.

we lost one over at Laughlin AFB when I was there. It was a shame that a checklist interruption cost that Captain his life. I was a responder to the crash site, it was very tragic.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
Damn...I have had to work in freezing cold, but guess working on the flight deck above the artic circle with the jet engines blowing on me it really never felt cold

On land on the "Ramp" we actually had to go all the way across the runways away from the flight lines/ramp/hangars when they were first time testing loading nuked headed tomahawks on our 1st S3-B Viking... I was playing Assistant Flight Line Coordinator and Plane Captain at the same time....we only had 6 people qualified to work with nukes...

Edit: had alot more sorties I had to coordinate over but I guess those Navy guys were scared to get their qualifications to work around nukes....sure damned seemed like it but I didn't mind the 2 jumps in rank at the time/moment in those days...

TC
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:01:37 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC