Author Topic: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Almost Jettisoned this F-4....
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »

No no no no.  I fly an SR20.  I don't own an SR20.  Used to own a Saratoga (or part of one, at least), but maintenance costs became a significant source of marital discord.  Now I'm back to flying rentals.

That said, Ciaphas' story, in particular, is a grim reminder of the value of slavishly adhering to checklists, which is easy to forget.

- oldman

I have a SR-20 and a Supercharged SR-22. I’ve read too many reports with the arming pin kept in when it was a within envelope pull. Checklists.....checklists.... checklists....

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 12:47:05 AM »
 :uhoh
You flew the F-106 and the F-4... awesome! I was born at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL in 1968. I grew up with F-4s and UH-1s flying over my head almost every day. I watched F-16s replace F-4s starting in 1979. I had wanted to be an F-4 pilot, but realized the F-15 would be the equivalent by the time I graduated high school (1986). My vision went south in 7th grade and was below back-seater standards by 10th grade. I would have done anything to fly fighters. The best I have done is Cessnas and Pipers. Thank goodness for modern PC combat flight sims: most of the fun of the real thing (minus the g-forces and force feedback) and none of the scary life-threatening/life-ending problems... hit reset, try again!

I had geared up to go the USAF Academy, but with my vision status, I never applied. Instead I briefly went to West Point, but resigned after 3 months, a couple of weeks after the first semester started when I realized the stress was just too much for me without the carrot of being a pilot dangling in front of me. I ended up being a submarine sonar tech for 8 years instead. Not quite equivalent to zooming around at Mach 1+, but still quite the adventure.
Same with me...plus a SEVERE knee injury...DAM Soccer :furious Love this GAME :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
As a young boy I dreamed of flying. Every year as a kid at USAFB Goose Bay on July 4th, I always wanted to sit in any plane seat – especially the B-52, and the C141 – but I also loved the F-104 and the F-4. My dad has dozens of pictures with me in nearly every military aircraft from the 70's - with a big cheese eating grin in seat or cockpit of the Phantom,104, C-5, C-141, B-52, F-106, and the CF-101 Voodoo.  It helped to live in a large airforce and NATO base.
:banana:

So I set off to become a military pilot as a kid and teeneager. In Canada, if you join the air cadets, and do your glider and then power school, if your vision is also good, pass both well, and you weren’t a moron, it almost guaranteed a ticket into direct entry officer for military pilot school.

So I joined the air cadets in 1982, carrot dragging me – well, I was dragging the carrot stick along because I wanted to be a pilot so bad. Accumulated almost 10 hours right seat in a 172. Couple hours in gliders. Life was looking up! :cool:

Then forking Top forking Gun came out. (FORK YOU TOM FORKING CRUIZE!) And the competition for the flying seats skyrocketed as every tom dick and harry suddenly wanted to be a fighter pilot (groan) and hook up with the blond flight instructor.  Instead of a typical school competition of 5 or 6 cadets, I had 32. Just for glider.  :furious

Still managed finished 3rd overall, but we were only allocated 2 seats at glider school. And those two tards were the "TOP GUN" fans (groan). My sister was also a glider pilot instructor at the school (a good one) and they still had hope for a cancellation. She helped me out - just in case of a late cancellation, I did some post-exam tests, threw me up in gliders with instructors. I was a natural they said - passion showed in my flying and stick handling.. It was looking good if someone dropped out. Got 4 more hours in student seat, and several more in a 172.

They had me do my medical to get my gliders permit just in case... :x

Strong protan colour blindness. I didn’t even know I was colour blind or what it even meant. What the hell is ‘protan’. Turns out, I can’t tell the difference between low colour greens and reds. Fork.  My dad took me in for my medical. He said I looked like it was a combination I found out at age 4 that Santa Clause didn’t exist and I was adopted all in one when they said I was colorblind. I did a ‘lantern’ test – it meant I could still fly gliders and small single engine airplanes VFR, but my chance a career as a pilot in any capacity was essentially zero. (sigh)  Received my gliders permit – but the flying balloons had all popped.  :(

Even when I joined the military as army signals 2 years later, I was helped out on my colour test.  Tester gave me a break and passed me anyways. 10 years army sigspig was still a great experience :aok

Now, with over 20’000 hours of flight simulation on dozens of combat flight simulators, give me a C-47 I’ll put it on a turning carrier any day. One eye closed. In my pajamas. 
:airplane:
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Those of us with that flying itch have to scratch it however we can. 

It’s amazing how far the eyesight issue has changed.  When I started USAF pilot training, it was made very clear that if any eye scarring from surgery was detected on an annual flight physical, immediate permanent grounding would occur.

Now, routine eye surgery is approved to achieve 20/20 vision.  A family friend had surgery during college, achieved 20/20 uncorrected vision, went to USAF pilot training, graduated, and is now in C-17 training school.

Before retiring from the USAF, I worked some of the staffing to approve a small select number of Weapons System Officers to wear soft contacts on an experimental basis.  My how things have changed.

The doctor that did my Lasik eye surgery was a flight surgeon for the USAF and did tests and check-ups on USAF pilots to see if high g loads impacted lasik surgery.  This was in 2009.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
The doctor that did my Lasik eye surgery was a flight surgeon for the USAF and did tests and check-ups on USAF pilots to see if high g loads impacted lasik surgery.  This was in 2009.

The bigger issue isn’t LASIK itself but retinal detachment.    The shape of the eyeball for those of us who are nearsighted increases the risk of suffering this event.   One can imagine what 9-G exposure is like and probably still never grasp it without living through it.   I guess the risk must not be as much of a problem as originally thought.

The Navy is okay with PRK and has been for a long time, they were just a few years too late to help me. 

I wound up doing LASIK and this got me bounced from going back into the Coast Guard as a Reservist.  Despite 20-15 vision in both eyes one of my flaps has a tiny wrinkle.   I can’t even tell, but it was enough to deny me a LASIK waiver.  Ironic.   

Too bad they don’t let guys like me fly KC-10s and the like to free up other pilots—or at least reduce their deployment lengths.   I’d do that as a Reservist in a heartbeat. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:46:11 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
20/15 in both eyes during my pre commissioning physical and maintained that for the entire career.  Very fortunate.  Now high mileage requires cheaters to read or see something up close or small.

It’s tragic the military isn’t more flexible.  They’ve come a long way but, much farther to go, especially with the big shortages in the current force.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:20:05 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »

My upper legs are two long from hip to knee.    Would lose them in case of an ejection.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Never written "two" meaning "to" before.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Never written "two" meaning "to" before.

... or even "too"?  None of us are perfect. I stand as an example.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 05:33:51 PM »
I thought it said Two as in 2 legs...didnt sound that weird :O Wait, I read it..it said nothing...how did it sound then? NEVERMIND pretty sure its me :rofl English is hard :bhead  :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain