Author Topic: GV Gods Attend!  (Read 3369 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
GV Gods Attend!
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
With fights drying up more and more I once again am trying to get a handle on GVing. I wish we had a training tutorial on ALL the tips and tricks players have found and use to GV. As it is, it's pretty frustrating trying to find and shot at another GV when your dead before you can change seats.

I have my sound set better but still have no clue as to how close a GV is. I at least can have them in an area of my view to zoom and sometime spot them.

Some questions....

Are there any tricks to viewing? Do you guys run with toned down graphics to see better? Shadows on/off? Which seat do you spend most of your time in, commanders view?

Parking, here are a few shots of mine.

Is sitting back in the trees a good spot, or should you hide in thicker groupings? Do the trees really hide/protect you?

Here I have a shot on a jagpanzer. I hit him 3 times, one a hit, two ricochets. His first shot was short, and as I backed out his second killed me.

Should I have "shoot and scoot" or hope to get him before he gets me (which never happens)

Sitting back in the trees gives me decent views....

..... but am I sitting "out there" for all to see?

For hunting GVs out in the woods, how often do you shut down and listen? How long do you sit and listen? Is sitting at a high spot better, or in a gully hull down?

How often do you shoot from the commanders seat? Are there any tricks to learning lead and elevations settings on the run?

Aiming, are there any tricks on setting a range? Do you set one range on the range finder and guestamate from there or do you set it for each encounter?

These are the questions I can rattle off before I have to go out and vacume the leaves in my yard..... woopie! I really wish we had a GV trainer but they havnt replaced the one they had since he passed away  :( I think a DETAILED write-up on "How to GV in Aces High" would be a great help to noobs and us old air guys alike. So what do you say, can we get some information layed out here?  Please?   :aok

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Re: GV Gods Attend!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Fugi,  If you see me in the game, I'd be glad to chat on a vox channel with you and give you some tips.  Each GV selection will change your tactics a little. 

One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:14:28 PM »
I'm not the best gv'er but 1 thing-with a T34 you can drive into the bush's and and trees and stick the barrel out with a good view is better than sitting in the open-hull down is best  if you can find a hill with a short drop behind you-a tank that can drop the barrel lower than the tank like a Panzer 4H.

I listen to the tracks more than the engine, also I set external sounds to 100%
I turn shadows off. see Kilroy about settings, he seems to be able to see the target better than anybody other then TyFoo and Slaxer.
when shooting at a Jagdpanzer-Jagdpanther or any other turtle-shoot at the front fender just above the track-or try to hit side-rear end. T34 HVAP is good/best at 1500 yards T34 AP 1500 on up. when hunting a spawned in tank do a quick shut down restart to get a quick fix on eny tank or tanks. get a friend and go to a base far away from combat and have him let u shoot at him-you can see his range and adjust you're range until you can him from 1500-2000-3000 yards-best way I know. the only way I know to listen to a tank when your sitting still is while testing gun range, at 2000yards tell him/her to keep their engine running adjust you're headset volume until you can start hearing the tank and set volume there.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
Fugi,  If you see me in the game, I'd be glad to chat on a vox channel with you and give you some tips.  Each GV selection will change your tactics a little. 

One-eye

Thanks 1eye, I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it if I run into you. I was hoping to start a conversation here where some of thses "killers" could come in and go over the settings they use and why. The places the park/hide and why. The way they hunt and how they shoot. The more info here could help more players to get into GVing and maybe subscribing.

Thanks Lunatic for your input as well. The more info and DETAILS the better the GV game can be for everyone.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
Fugitive, my 2 cents. If you have your sound setup they way we discussed online, when you get within about 800 yds. you will start hearing the enemy engine over yours.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Fugitive, my 2 cents. If you have your sound setup they way we discussed online, when you get within about 800 yds. you will start hearing the enemy engine over yours.

Yes, it worked much better. I feel I can tell direction better, but range/closeness is still very difficult to understand. With my engine off tho that doesnt help much   :)

With all the other things I mentioned there are still so many things to learn. With some sort of tutorial or at least a discussion it could help not only me, but many other just now coming into the game. Granted if I spent months/years playing nothing but GVs sure I could get to DR7 skill, but couldnt you guys lay out some of those things you have learned? I had one guy say he wouldnt teach me anything unless I switched sides. OK, I did. He gave me very little info or help. Thanks for nothing.

WWhiskey was planning on building some information before he passed away. I was sorry we lost him, but even more that he never got to finish his wish to build a data base of information for GVing in Aces High.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I’ve tried the offline tank terrain.  I set the targets to some of the most commonly encountered tanks but, there were no ranges displayed.  Does anyone know if range can be displayed and how to do it?

A lot of good tips so far.  I agree a good, comprehensive “how to “ guide would be a great help.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
 :aok http://www.75thguards.com/ww2online/downloads/Zheriz_Ziess_Sight_Guide.pdf   I found this post YEARS ago..its very informative, well WHEN you use a tank with these Sight Systems. Its good practice, but hard to get ACTUAL Bad Guys to hold still long enough to get accurate measurements. It did help though at ROUGH Guesstimates :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
I discovered early on that the majority of my shots were within 1200 yds.. So anytime I leave the hanger in my T34, I quickly adjust my sights to 1200 yds.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »
The biggest hurdle to clear in GV game play in AH3 is correctly modifying the sound settings.  Experience with FMOD will help you.  The second biggest hurdle is setting your graphics settings properly.  I can see a GV crossing terrain clearly from an airplane 4k away.  Not the icon.  The actual vehicle.  I can also see parked or flying C47's on or near the ground from outside of icon range.  In fact the next time that happens I'm going to take a snapshot and post it.  They stick out prominently from the terrain, unless they're parked in that weird drive-through seaweed vegetation.  If they're in that, they are invisible.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »
The biggest hurdle to clear in GV game play in AH3 is correctly modifying the sound settings.  Experience with FMOD will help you.  The second biggest hurdle is setting your graphics settings properly.  I can see a GV crossing terrain clearly from an airplane 4k away.  Not the icon.  The actual vehicle.  I can also see parked or flying C47's on or near the ground from outside of icon range.  In fact the next time that happens I'm going to take a snapshot and post it.  They stick out prominently from the terrain, unless they're parked in that weird drive-through seaweed vegetation.  If they're in that, they are invisible.

How are your sound and graphics set?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
Small note, I was testing HVAP offline with a T34\76 against the T34\85 inside of 1200. No where against it's armor did the round have any effect. The AP round did. The T34\85 HVAP round is a one shot killer 1200 and closer against other T34\85.

Regardless of outcomes online, it's a good idea to set tanks in the offline drone circle at an airfield, then get a feel for the rounds from the tanks you favor fighting in. Do it on an airfield because a vBase has too many obstructions while an airfield will have long flat open lanes that you can pull up the target to check your range. Also you can toggle your tank optics between white and black to help with light conditions. Just like with convergence and the range ticker on aircraft icons, the range settings with tank optics are a suggestion since you can never drive yourself to an exact range nor will your target. You need to spend some time getting the feel for "roughly" how far away a tank silhouette is in your sights.

Same goes for learning the guns in the IL2 and Ju87-G2. If you really get frustrated, the best "single tank" killing fighter is the HurriC with two 500lb bombs set to salvo 2. Once you fill the drone slots with tanks at your offline airfield, practice getting the feel of range estimating.

As for sneaking around in the bushes, put yourself into as many GV fights as you can every night and take your lumps. Much of the ambushing is by players who have learned how to hide shutdown in Waffle's choice of setting trees in circular clumps of 3-5. Because I hunt tanks with plane a lot, I have come to see these things. Running around and not getting whacked in your tank, there are players who excel at that and you will need to talk to them about how they either guess or determine their safe transit routes.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
How are the optics toggled between white and black?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »
Under Global in the keymapping. Site Mode Toggle

I don't know if Hitech has it default to F4, a longtime ago I set it myself while I keep copying over my backed up settings each time a I do a full install.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
Thanks Bustr!