Author Topic: Yak3 Drag modelling  (Read 19988 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Yak3 Drag modelling
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 06:58:38 PM »
Bleeding E is not a flight model parameter.  If the drag is wrong why aren't the speeds wrong?
How is it not?

Coefficient of drag should vary based on angle of attack and elevator deflection, correct?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:07:53 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
Drag modelling...can we bring phrasing back?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
Drag modelling...can we bring phrasing back?

Only if you put your wig and your dress on  :rock

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Bleeding E is not a flight model parameter.  If the drag is wrong why aren't the speeds wrong?

And which part of the code did you write that into?

I dont know how many parameters Hitech uses in his flight model code, and Im pretty sure you dont have a clue, so maybe its something that could be looked into.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »
You realize that when you get closer to an object it update more. Any lag or issues with hops will become obvious at that time.

Yeah nah this is different. It also relates to the pilots awareness of his impending doom. And I am not exclusive in my observations.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »
How is it not?

Coefficient of drag should vary based on angle of attack and elevator deflection, correct?

Correct, drag is the parameter, not "bleeding E".  Level speed and best climb speed use different AOA and control deflections and they aren't wrong. I understand the Yak3 performance is annoying but nobody has shown it to be incorrect.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 11:07:02 PM »
Correct, drag is the parameter, not "bleeding E".  Level speed and best climb speed use different AOA and control deflections and they aren't wrong. I understand the Yak3 performance is annoying but nobody has shown it to be incorrect.

So I will reiterate my previous point.

Even if drag is correct to the point that speed and climb rates match the charts, there may be an issue with how much extra drag is applied when pulling G's.

Also, despite this thread is about the Yak-3, there are a few more fighters that seem to hold energy better then they seem like they should, mainly the Brewster and Wildcat.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:26 AM »
... mainly the Brewster and Wildcat.

Well, speed demons like those reaching their max speed right when they level off is surely unfair.  :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »
Yeah nah this is different. It also relates to the pilots awareness of his impending doom. And I am not exclusive in my observations.

You won't be. Everyone is on the internet.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »

Even if drag is correct to the point that speed and climb rates match the charts, there may be an issue with how much extra drag is applied when pulling G's.

Also, despite this thread is about the Yak-3, there are a few more fighters that seem to hold energy better then they seem like they should, mainly the Brewster and Wildcat.

You're talking about induced drag. Induced drag is proportional to lift. It's not a mystery. That's why the turn rates and radii are so accurate.

You mention two other small lightweight aircraft with low stall speeds. What is energy in this discussion? It is basically speed. So some aircraft have better slow speed turns and better acceleration.  I bet you already knew that.

Holding E is not a useful way of talking about thrust, weight, and drag. It appears to confuse people.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »

I get what you are saying Devil. 

It may not be a matter of induced drag.  It may be a matter of parasitic drag.   

When pulling G's and high AoA, the relative wind is not just striking the airfoil.  It is striking the plane-form and the fuselage.  Maybe it is the parasitic drag at high G/AoA that is under-modeled causing it to not bleed E like it should when turning hard. 

Maybe the parasitic drag at the gentle AoA the climb rate are tested at is correct. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
So parasitic drag is properly modeled in everything except the Yak3, F4F, and Brewster?  Quite the coincidence. Careless of Hitech.  :D

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
So parasitic drag is properly modeled in everything except the Yak3, F4F, and Brewster?  Quite the coincidence. Careless of Hitech.  :D

And there was absolutely nothing wrong with the DrI, until it was one day quietly fixed.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
FLS seems to know a lot about the game mechanics, but still isn't very good...

:bolt:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »

And there was absolutely nothing wrong with the DrI, until it was one day quietly fixed.

Maybe because I found some co-efficient of drag data that Hitech hadn't seen.  Nobody said the Dr1 model was perfect, that's your straw man, it was the best model from the available data and it was improved.  It's still the dominant dogfighter.

FLS seems to know a lot about the game mechanics, but still isn't very good...

:bolt:

I try to be good, but I was born to be bad...     :devil