Author Topic: Where'd everyone go?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
Re: Where'd everyone go?
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2019, 08:35:01 AM »
Go VR...It is wild!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline smash

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Look at the number of responses to my post looking for a squad to fly with.  I also got one PM.   And you guys really wonder why people don't stay...   
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »
Look at the number of responses to my post looking for a squad to fly with.  I also got one PM.   And you guys really wonder why people don't stay...
:eek: Only 1? Eh, still true though :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »

have you tried flying with other squads? joining one is should not be your goal.  joining one that fits your style of play or sense of humor should be your goal.  you can join the pigs anytime on our  channel.  I'm a pig but sometimes I'll be asked to join other squads vox and I do.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »

Generally you fly and find yourself with certain groups often. That is when you may be invited or ask. Sorry if your feelings are hurt. Maybe toughen up and try a little.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »
And expensive :)

But getting more affordable.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2019, 03:31:25 AM »
Generally you fly and find yourself with certain groups often. That is when you may be invited or ask. Sorry if your feelings are hurt. Maybe toughen up and try a little.
SHUFFLER. :eek:...True there are mostly whiners these days...but I think you were a bit harsh in this one! Also true...Most players dont have a BBS account, so contacts would be stunted by soliciting here. I didnt take away the feeling he was whining though. For me it was more an observation on current state of the player base. Very little team work these days, unless you are in a Squad. Hes been playing(maybe not active for the majority of time) since '99. True, he shouldnt take it personal that I was the only response to his thread. Its just the current environment we play in. You know me...not trolling one bit, and not trying to pick a fight. I find myself feeling the same Knee Jerk responses as you do..so not judging...just offering a different POV. Hell, for that matter...its sad that someone would need to qualify their replies, like I feel the need to do(again NOT YOU, its more a knee jerk). Folk seem a bit Brittle/Triggered easy, these days(NOT YOU, as we agree on most every thing...except the love of the Spitfire  :kiss:). His observation does raise an Glaring Red Flag IMO
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2019, 03:46:28 AM »
as for VR being expensive - AH is the best VR game - cost/effectiveness wise. You can buy 1st gen VR set on aftermarket for very reasonable price, you don't need much more then 1070 card, heck i think 1060 might even suffice. And you're all set for VR. It won't run DCS/IL2 well, but for AH it will blow your socks off.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2019, 04:35:58 AM »
. You can buy 1st gen VR set on aftermarket for very reasonable price, you don't need much more then 1070 card, heck i think 1060 might even suffice. And you're all set for VR.

I can get a used Oculus Rift for about 300€, a used 1070 would apparently cost at least 240€, that's 550€ already. But I would possibly need a new CPU too, which also means new mainboard and ram -> getting awfully close to ~800€ again.
All just to play in VR, for my system still can take every game I have thrown at it at 1080p in 2D.
So yea, it's still very expensive.

I wonder how may AH pilots are using VR? I'd guess the percentage being quite above average, but I have not the slightest idea how much that really is.  :headscratch:

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »
It's funny, I flew non Vr the other day..  and the visuals were so much better. I think for gv or buff missions I'd prefer 2d but overall the immersion in vr makes fighter missions so much more fun.

Snailman. Move to the US. Way cheaper parts ;)

Offline Tripp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
I don't want it to be free. Just needs more promotion to get players in the game. A free spit5 would do wonders, especially to get Europeans and britians interested. You know most of them would buy a sub eventually. Filling up the arena is what creates the best fights. More fights equals more subs. It's a chain reaction.

Agree 100%. They just want a fight.

2019 World Population: 7,713,468,100
Examples:
United States - 329,086,777
Russia - 145,873,568
Japan - 126,856,561
Germany - 83,520,421
United Kingdom - 67,534,328
France - 65,131,508

From close to 8 billion people on this planet, we should be able somehow to populate AH with 300 per day.
How to attract them? The same way all other products in the world do, Advertise!
Strategy: Advertise to like-minded people such as:
The age group of 35 and above. People who are most likely to be aware of WW2, have lives that are somewhat settled and have time to spend in AH. Chasing younger participation is just to difficult.

Groups, Clubs, Associations that have an interest in aviation.
Examples:
Army  Air  Forces  Historical  Association
Air Force Association
92nd USAAF-USAF Memorial Association
325th Fighter Group WWII - “Checkertail Clan" Association
WW2 Fighter Group Associations
R/C Flying Clubs
WW2 Aircraft modelers
WW2 A/C Demonstration teams
WW2 Aircraft Museums
Contacting these type of groups will lead to more possibilities.

If they don't know about Aces High they won't come!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
SHUFFLER. :eek:...True there are mostly whiners these days...but I think you were a bit harsh in this one! Also true...Most players dont have a BBS account, so contacts would be stunted by soliciting here. I didnt take away the feeling he was whining though. For me it was more an observation on current state of the player base. Very little team work these days, unless you are in a Squad. Hes been playing(maybe not active for the majority of time) since '99. True, he shouldnt take it personal that I was the only response to his thread. Its just the current environment we play in. You know me...not trolling one bit, and not trying to pick a fight. I find myself feeling the same Knee Jerk responses as you do..so not judging...just offering a different POV. Hell, for that matter...its sad that someone would need to qualify their replies, like I feel the need to do(again NOT YOU, its more a knee jerk). Folk seem a bit Brittle/Triggered easy, these days(NOT YOU, as we agree on most every thing...except the love of the Spitfire  :kiss:). His observation does raise an Glaring Red Flag IMO

You hurt my feelings....

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »

I can get a used Oculus Rift for about 300€, a used 1070 would apparently cost at least 240€, that's 550€ already. But I would possibly need a new CPU too, which also means new mainboard and ram -> getting awfully close to ~800€ again.
All just to play in VR, for my system still can take every game I have thrown at it at 1080p in 2D.
So yea, it's still very expensive.

I wonder how may AH pilots are using VR? I'd guess the percentage being quite above average, but I have not the slightest idea how much that really is.  :headscratch:

if you can do 1080 no problem, i doubt you need much more then VR set. What hardware do you have ?
I'm running on i5-3570k with 12gb of ram and 1080. 1080 might be an overkill, i have a funny feeling that 1060 could do just fine. In that case you might fit below 500 Euro.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:41 AM »
if you can do 1080 no problem, i doubt you need much more then VR set. What hardware do you have ?
I'm running on i5-3570k with 12gb of ram and 1080. 1080 might be an overkill, i have a funny feeling that 1060 could do just fine. In that case you might fit below 500 Euro.

That's 1080p not a GTX 1080.   :D
I'm running a I5-2500 (end of the road for my old MB) / GTX 950 combo