Author Topic: Reward effort not just success  (Read 2462 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Reward effort not just success
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
The score calculates this information as damage. Sure, you don't get a message saying that you destroyed it, but the arena can't read it anyway so what is the point? The same goes for damage on aircraft, the game knows you did damage and that damage is translated in your score. But, you may not get the kill and therefore no name in lights. I, personally, do not feel it necessary or even beneficial to have an arena message that says "Player 1 landed successfully and damaged 3 aircraft." That seems ridiculous to me.

not about kills, it's about perks.  you damage something it should translate to perks too.  nobody is saying "landed 3 assists".

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
Picture this.  A structure takes 2 bombs and 4 rockets to destroy.  I hit it with 1 bomb and 4 rockets.  The next guy hits with 1 bomb.  The target is destroyed.  I get no reward he gets reward.

So in this scenario i do not need to practice to get better, I did more damage but get nothing for it. 

Training tip: You need to be the second guy if you care about the "reward" and you didn't bring enough boom to the party.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 08:01:56 PM »
When you land a screen pops up saying, "Player X is hereby awarded a commendation for participating in the destruction of yadda yadda yadda."

Show mission stats for hits, damage, etc..

Then a mention of criteria remaining for the next medal or achievement.

Hello??!

TAP TAP TAP

Is this thing on?

People don't look at perks and other hard to find data.  You need visual stuff combined with mission stats to show they did something.    It can't just be obscure numbers.   The ADD generation doesn't "get" that sort of thing.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
Rewards are nice but real rewards are better than participation medals. Perks are real rewards.
You can spend them. New players look at perks because they don't have enough to fly the 262.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 09:29:57 PM »
Rewards are nice but real rewards are better than participation medals. Perks are real rewards.
You can spend them. New players look at perks because they don't have enough to fly the 262.

New players don’t care about perks.   Neither do I, come to think of it.   And if you think a new player is even THINKING about Me-262s and on even the most basic level understands the perk system or how to “spend” them you’re dreaming in Technicolor. 

Perks are probably number 2,457 on the list of things noobs care about. 

Start giving them medals and things they can grasp early and often for awhile...

Give them a mission debriefing summary popup so they have some tangible feedback as to how they did.    Showing they earned 0.14 perks hidden somewhere on the bottom of the clipboard menu where it is almost never seen is NOT going to do anything...
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
I’d even go a step further and give noobs mission objectives.   

“On this sortie, bomb a building.”

Or give them a list of missions and once they finish them p, in whatever order they choose, they earn a Bronze Star Medal or something.       

The way Apache did it back around 1985 was the bomb.   It made it fun to shoot stuff up.   It encouraged you to take more risks.   

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 11:43:39 PM »
When you land a screen pops up saying, "Player X is hereby awarded a commendation for participating in the destruction of yadda yadda yadda."

Show mission stats for hits, damage, etc..

Then a mention of criteria remaining for the next medal or achievement.

+1
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
Picture this.  A structure takes 2 bombs and 4 rockets to destroy.  I hit it with 1 bomb and 4 rockets.  The next guy hits with 1 bomb.  The target is destroyed.  I get no reward he gets reward.

So in this scenario i do not need to practice to get better, I did more damage but get nothing for it. 

Open your mind a little, there are examples of this all over the game

The next time you shoot 5 bullets and blow it up and get credit when someone else did all the damage. Works out in the wash.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
No pilot left behind....

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 04:54:21 PM »
The true rewards are the tears of my enemies on #200.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat in terms of shaking my head when a game gives you a "Yay!  You did something in the game!" but again, it's what people have come to expect.  People want something in game that is visible to show you've done something.

We may pooh-pooh it, but it's a motivator in a lot of cases.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat in terms of shaking my head when a game gives you a "Yay!  You did something in the game!" but again, it's what people have come to expect.  People want something in game that is visible to show you've done something.

We may pooh-pooh it, but it's a motivator in a lot of cases.

Wiley.

The learning curve in this game is so steep that without something tangible to grab onto most people will simply quit in frustration.   

Those of us that are still here are the 1%.     Perhaps less, considering the vets who have left for other pursuits. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
You should earn medals of some kind that get placed in your Shadow Box in the Hangar/O'Club.  Or credit toward a medal later.   It needs to be more obvious that the current achievements system progress.   Maybe a handshake image from your CO saying  well done after you land and a note saying what you've accomplished.  This will happen frequently for noobs, less so for vets.

Why not download a series of images of medals, and give yourself a couple every time you feel you deserve one. Maybe a promotion too?  :x :salute :salute
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 02:37:17 PM »
Why not download a series of images of medals, and give yourself a couple every time you feel you deserve one. Maybe a promotion too?  :x :salute :salute

THAT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC AND HELPFUL COMMENT.

SMH.  Some people just don't get it.   :rolleyes:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
Thanks for the training tip FLS.  WTG on keeping the spirit of the game alive with that one.

You guys know that moat of what I am asking for is already in the game, you know, progress to achievements, addition to score etc.  But it is all hidden.  I would have to hunt around for the achievements bit since it is hidden away.  Why not bring that forward so after each run the players see progress?

As it is now all you see is Last Sortie:  0.00

Ohhh hell yeah I want to do that again!!!    noobs simply will not keep trying if all they get is a big fat zero and a bunch of vets all just picking them apart.