Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62930 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »
Nope.  That's not how it would work. 

But if freeloaders generate critical mass it will benefit the game.

So you tool around in your Spit V and I'll wreck you in my "premium" ride.  You play for free.   I pay to turn you into spare parts.   We both win.

Now you see why it won't work.  You have the illusion that it will work.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »
So they make money, so it's not free to play.  Somebody gotta pay.

The whales are paying for the rest of the playerbase. :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »
I am like Violator in that I started in the free 8-player arenas then moved over to the Main.  I don't know what it was about that setup but it simply worked well.

Total lack of alternatives. Flight simulators existed, even including such with combat. Multipler games existed, even if most of them only for LAN games. Multipler LAN flight sims with combat ... none. And even if, the probability that friends usually LAN games are played with consider anything with flying is low.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
I don't think the Battlefield games lure players away from Aces High. They are two different genres. War Thunder, WW2OL on the other hand...

I believe they do.

I think there were a LOT of Aces High players in 1999-2005 that were perfectly happy to move to BF once it became available.  Where do you think the 700 players we used to have all went to?  Not just to BF, but I bet many did.  If not BF, the WT, or WT, or WoW, or WIIOL, etc.

A lot just wanted online multiplayer combat. They may have been OK with airplanes, but a lot didn't necessarily eat, live, and breath WWII fighter aircraft like the old timers you have left here now.  They were like, whatever, airplanes, yeah I can do that for a while.   AS other new mutliplayer online combat experiences came online they got lured off a few at a time to other games, even different genre.

Back in 1999, AH was really the best, if not the only, option out there for online multiplayer combat.  Now players are drowning in options.  With multiple options of monitization.

:salute

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:45:45 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2019, 01:44:24 PM »
What you were describing sounded more to me like you walked around a corner the guy was actively covering.

If you don't understand that the higher rate of fire gives a district advantage in BF CQB, then you just haven't played it enough for us to discuss it.  It's like talking to someone trying to convince you the IL2 is a better dogfighter than a P-51D.  OK, whatever.

The only real exception is the shotgun.  But you have to be an artist to make that work consistently. You have to hit perfect with that first round, or I've already melted your face off before you get the next shell shucked.

Do you play?  You can pick up BF4 for $20 and play all you want on full servers.  I'll run with you. Or use you for bait.  :D

You can show me how those slow fire guns work on Operation Locker. ;)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:47:18 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
If you don't understand that the higher rate of fire gives a district advantage in BF CQB, then you just haven't played it enough for us to discuss it.  It's like talking to someone trying to convince you the IL2 is a better dogfighter than a P-51D.  OK, whatever.

Not what I was saying.  As I said, if you both notice each other and acquire each other at the same time, yes, better equipment is better equipment.  However, that's not what I thought you were describing.  What you said in the first post sounded more like you walked into a camper or a person who was pointed right where you were going to pop out.  At that point, what gun either of you have is less impactful.

The only real exception is the shotgun.  But you have to be an artist to make that work consistently. You have to hit perfect with that first round, or I've already melted your face off before you get the next shell shucked.

Do you play?  You can pick up BF4 for $20 and play all you want on full servers.  I'll run with you. Or use you for bait.  :D

You can show me how those slow fire guns work on Operation Locker. ;)

Haven't been bitten by the FPS/combined arms bug in a while but I'll bear it in mind.  I have put in my time mostly in Counterstrike, PS2, PUBG, and a few others that escape me off the top of my head.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2019, 02:01:08 PM »

Haven't been bitten by the FPS/combined arms bug in a while but I'll bear it in mind.  I have put in my time mostly in Counterstrike, PS2, PUBG, and a few others that escape me off the top of my head.

If you've played those you would have no problem. 

In my opinions BF4 is the finest game ever produced by Western Civilization.  (Too much?  :D)
Sorry Hitech, you are in the top 3.  :D

PM me any time.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
If they are choosing to play for free, they should be cannon fodder for the paying subscribers. It would make the fights bigger and better overall.

And I thought "better fights" was usually referring to something more even, where there is a risk of dying for both parties involved, fights that don't end quickly. I was assuming people described it like that, to sound serious, but basically were only looking for easy kills. I think this thread is the first time I've seen it stated explicitly that all that is desired is more easy targets.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
Titanic Tuesday redux?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »
Titanic Tuesday redux?

Boo

AH has Titanic Tuesday everyday now.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
And I thought "better fights" was usually referring to something more even, where there is a risk of dying for both parties involved, fights that don't end quickly. I was assuming people described it like that, to sound serious, but basically were only looking for easy kills. I think this thread is the first time I've seen it stated explicitly that all that is desired is more easy targets.

The goal is to allow them to play in the MA longer. Putting them in a semi challenging plane means they will crave paying the money to fly the better planes. If you make the planes the full scale, a vet can come in for an hour in the middle of prime time and do all he needs, in his fav plane, and not ever have to worry about paying. The goal is to prevent that by limiting the planes so that people do not abuse the free play. The goal is to allow people to fly something in the MA to stay in the game, rather than have nothing at all. Paying subscribers should not be at a loss to free gamers who get to utilize the better planes.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
Unlock all early and a few mid war planes for them. They will be more than competitive and I believe it will set that sub hook.

GV's should be unlocked for the most part with perhaps a few limited vehicles reserved for sub'd players. maybe limit troops carrying to 5 for non subs and 10 for subs. 1000lb bombs and above reserved for subs and 500lb for non subs. unlock all weapons hard points for subs and limit non subs to a pair if wing hard points and for aircraft with 1 hard point limit them to small bombs or fuel only.

Give them a taste but not the full cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Only on page 2 but here I go...
I think they often mean a different type of 'fight' than the kind of duels in KOTH. It would be better they would use the term 'battle', because that's what they are often looking for.

I wouldn't call it a duel if at anytime a guy can come into the fight / engagement you are in which is what happens in KOTH. I won't ask where the duel idea was conjured up.

Thanks for the comment Violator.
All read, I'll keep the minor details out of an important topic.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »
Now you see why it won't work.  You have the illusion that it will work.

semp

It may or may not work.   If it had been a feature when the Steam rollout took place it would have definitely kept some people. 

If it doesn't work you've lost nothing by trying.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »
Total lack of alternatives. Flight simulators existed, even including such with combat. Multipler games existed, even if most of them only for LAN games. Multipler LAN flight sims with combat ... none. And even if, the probability that friends usually LAN games are played with consider anything with flying is low.

I was already in Warbirds.   So I had all the alternative I needed.   We also had CFS.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:42:17 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)