Author Topic: Trees at the end of the runway  (Read 7079 times)

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
Trees at the end of the runway
« on: April 12, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
 :furious

For instance at SW take off A82 in Grinder MA. And that is far from the only one.

344 bomber perk points out the window because of trees at the end. This is simply way too stupid. With my sporadic playing of this game, it will take a couple of years before I can fly the B29 again and do some real strat runs.

And some are wondering why people leave this game...

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Trees at the end of the runway
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
A smart pilot, using some level of situational awareness, doesn’t takeoff in a heavy with obstructions off the end of the runway.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
A smart pilot, using some level of situational awareness, doesn’t takeoff in a heavy with obstructions off the end of the runway.

You would think this is standard practice.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
The level bomber training page does recommend carefully picking your runway selection whether its mountains or trees you need to avoid.

The good news is that even with sporadic playing it shouldn't take a couple of years to build 344 bomber perks (did it really cost you that many to up some 29s?!). I've been known to earn over 30 perks in a single sortie.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
If all were easy in this game I would have been bored and left many years ago.....Also, as this game simulates real WW2 combat, if you read about the B-29's, many in fact did crash on takeoff.  But I can sympathize with the OP....gotta be frustrating.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
You would think this is standard practice.  :D

One would think.  But, there are exceptions, who are their own worst enemies.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:59:29 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
KillerPops has a point. If it is a fighter or forward air field I think maintaining some SA is key and it is up to you to figure out how to take off in a B29 from there. But for a medium or large airfield, there is NO reason why there should be trees within 100m of the end of the runway, you can't even come back to land in a normal approach unless you want your wing clipped off.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 10:58:13 AM »
I know the frustration. I have lost more B-29s taking off than in combat. The hard lesson is, spend plenty of time choosing your field because AH runways weren't made for B-29s.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:00:04 AM »
The B-29 is probably the toughest aircraft to both take off and land with in the game, even more so than the Me 262 or Ar 234. Even the LAF runway isn't enough for it to be honest.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Not having flown bombers in well over ten years, especially the B-29, is there a technique that works best for it, i.e. flap configuration, power run up before brake release, etc (except of course, an awareness of obstacles off the end of the runway)?

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
Lots of "smart" people here  ;)

This is a large field, for bombers. The end of the runway is into the sea. Trees here is just stupid, plain and simple.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
Yikes, you weren't kidding. Still, I think Puma's and my point stands. I have learned that hard lesson before, it takes planning and scouting to find the suitable B-29 field.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Not having flown bombers in well over ten years, especially the B-29, is there a technique that works best for it, i.e. flap configuration, power run up before brake release, etc (except of course, an awareness of obstacles off the end of the runway)?

1. Pick runway carefully, preferably at or near SL and with a downslope or no trees down the way for a LONG time. Also pick loadout carefully.
2. Use WEP.
3. When you get off the ground, you have to fight for airspeed, not altitude. The more you pull back, the more you slow down, then you start losing altitude. It is very painful but you have to climb tediously foot by foot. Once you finally get above say 160 IAS then you are climbing at a slow rate, but it is much more manageable. I usually wait until I'm at 3k AGL for me to go afk.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »
Lots of "smart" people here  ;)

This is a large field, for bombers. The end of the runway is into the sea. Trees here is just stupid, plain and simple.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

So, what’s the problem?  Or, is this a case of finding something to complain about when there really isn’t a problem?

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Yikes, you weren't kidding. Still, I think Puma's and my point stands. I have learned that hard lesson before, it takes planning and scouting to find the suitable B-29 field.

Sure it takes planning and scouting to find a suitable B-29 field NOW, but does the game have to continue to be that way?