Author Topic: Question about Guns  (Read 1536 times)

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
Question about Guns
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
Does anyone feel like guns are more effective one day than the next?  Some day I hit a plane and it explodes, the next day I hit the same plane and it is like the bullets bounce off.  Is this part of the game or on my side?

Thanks!
Check Six!

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Re: Question about Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
I would guess that it is you. You probably can't make the same shot for every kill.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 01:08:40 PM »
I can tell it has been that way at least from when I started to play this game. Heard the same from squadmates as well. The reasons can be multiple, starting from your mood and mental alertness to issues in your Internet connection. The latter is rather about instability than response time so looking at the ping doesn't tell you much unless it's way off. The reasons for Internet instability are multiple as well, a novelty on Netflix, a new meme spread all over, scheduled banking transactions, a change in oil or stock prices, Trump calling "get well soon" to Kim, rain or thunder somewhere along the route, sunspots, you name it...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »
If you don't pop the melon ....

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
Does anyone feel like guns are more effective one day than the next?  Some day I hit a plane and it explodes, the next day I hit the same plane and it is like the bullets bounce off.  Is this part of the game or on my side?

Thanks!

I feel like it has something to do with lag, much like collisions. I find that when I lead shoot and my front end doesn't technically see the enemy plane, it takes way more bullets because some of them don't register. I could be wrong on this. Its just that I consistently rake planes with bullets, I've put what seems like 80 -100 bullets in some planes and only give them a gas leak or something small. I have drilled planes that attacked me first, only to get the assist. Id love to make a video of it just to see if there is something I'm doing wrong or if there is some kind of a front end issue. I feel like you have to hit them constantly for about .5 seconds to really get them. Sometimes I don't understand how I can be flying a 109G14 with 3 20Mms and completely drill a plane in a lead shot or crossing shot and not take them down. When I see about 20 sprites hit a plane and hardly damage them, then I have to spend more time to finish them off wasting alt, E, and bullets. Sometimes I just don't get it and it doesn't seem consistent. It's one that irritates me a lot, and I have one of the top hit % in the game.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:26:24 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
When I flew more often I seemed to get this and when it was particularly bad I'd relog and it seemed to help, whether that was the placebo effect or not... who knows.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:10:03 PM »
I feel like it has something to do with lag, much like collisions. I find that when I lead shoot and my front end doesn't technically see the enemy plane, it takes way more bullets because some of them don't register. I could be wrong on this.

Lag would have no effects on hits, other then how soon you see a part fall off. Front End registers and shows hit and sends to host, host applies damage, if enough is done host sends back to you to display the damage.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Yes, but 'hitting a plane' won't `splode it, right? Killing a pilot outright with bullet or cannon fire will (head shot), right?  :old:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
My personal theory is that air to air gunnery is such a complex thing, miniscule variances in your what your computer is up to/what is going on in your brain and eyes affects it.

Tired, caffeine, your PC doing something a bit differently all could be contributing factors IMO.  Could be completely wrong though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »
I am not sure..... I shoot with my eyes closed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 04:13:47 PM »
A plane only explodes when you kill the pilot. 

A plane has different areas that take damage, hits may have to accumulate to cause damage, depending on the weapon.

Depending on distance and maneuvering, dispersion can cause hits all over a plane without damaging any one thing too much.

That's why you can see planes explode one day and fly away the next.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 04:21:02 PM »
A plane only explodes when you kill the pilot.

Huh?  :headscratch:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
Huh?  :headscratch:

Coogan

If your opponent's plane actually explodes and disappears in a large puff of smoke that means your bullets or cannon fire killed the pilot outright (no pilot wound - a popped melon, so to speak).

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 04:40:01 PM »
I always thought if the pilot was killed, we would see his/her plane simply fall to the ground.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear