Author Topic: Nvidia RTX 3xxx Coming Real Soon.  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nvidia RTX 3xxx Coming Real Soon.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 06:35:30 AM »
The price/ performance of the 3080 looks good to me

For almost the price of the vive pro setup I can get the 3080 and a new HP reverb 2 vr headset and controllers

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
bortas, you're going to want to wait and see what the power requirements of the 3070 will be. The good news is that if you can just replace the GPU that your experience is going to be night and day, by all accounts so far.
:salute i fully agree just was wondering if it could that simple or have to get all new componates for computer. since my system is 4 years old  i may have to do that and frankly not looking forward to that. :rock

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
When I put my new 3900x system together in March I recycled my 2060 in it knowing this was gonna happen in the fall. No sense buying a new card at the time that was about to be obsolete. Now I'm thinking rather than jump on the first card available I might wait a little bit longer, maybe catch a black Friday deal. Thinking 3070/3080.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »
When I put my new 3900x system together in March I recycled my 2060 in it knowing this was gonna happen in the fall. No sense buying a new card at the time that was about to be obsolete. Now I'm thinking rather than jump on the first card available I might wait a little bit longer, maybe catch a black Friday deal. Thinking 3070/3080.

2600 is obsolete?

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 02:42:46 PM »
2060 was obsolete by design.
Raster performance was OK but limited by 6GiB VRAM, RT was not usable for anything - by far too slow.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
2600 is obsolete?
No but I wasn't going to put together a brand new system with top end parts and buy a say 2080 at the time when I knew the next gen of cards was going to be released in a few months. Figuring I'd wait and see what was gonna happen with that and then decide on a new card.

I've built my last few PCs and really enjoy doing it. I like having total control over what goes into them. However, I'm not rich so I'm not building a new one every other year. My last one was a c2011 z68 build I had overclocked a ton and replaced the video card a couple of times to keep up with things. My MO is to build a bit into the future as best I can afford at that time and if this one lasts as long as the last one did I'm OK with it. The old one is now de-clocked and has become the wife's work from home office PC. So it continues to serve us well. I cleaned out the case and reseated the cpu cooler. It's now logging many more hours than I ever put on it!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 02:48:11 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
2060 was obsolete by design.
Raster performance was OK but limited by 6GiB VRAM, RT was not usable for anything - by far too slow.
Yeah. I had it overclocked too! I only got it to help with VR a bit, which it did. The 1060 really wasn't cutting it for VR. No ammount of OC fixing that! So the 1060 is back in the old PC where the 2060 is in the new one, for now anyway.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 03:25:37 PM »
Interesting read, but I doubt it is true at the end - Reviewers, industry analysts, etc., would sing out loud and wide, and consumers would be burning nvidia execs in effigy in front of their headquarters (and also, not in effigy).

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 11:57:09 PM »
The cost-to-manufacture of the coolers is already confirmed. The architecture of the boards changed so much it drew industry attention to the CAD files and no way to optimize the coolers was found outside of the current design. Nvidia modified their approach to make the cards more efficient in heat removal, and that's part of where the problem occurs. Why they go to so much trouble to profit so highly on video cards is well known, as well.  While they are involved in computer mapping and logic systems as well, that industry does not sell as many units as video games do. In fact, I am only aware of one company using Nvidia chips for space missions (to the asteroid belt), and they may use a total of ten chips over the next 25 years! Plus, if your chip isn't even powered up until you're in space you don't really need cooling. Shielding, yes, but not cooling.

You have got to love corporate intrigue!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 02:44:16 AM »
"The Founders Edition sell for $699, while custom models are expected to retail for up to $900. However, opportunists on eBay are putting up GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition preorders for as high as $1,250, which is blatant price gouging."

At that price I would just wait a week and grab a 3090. at $700 vs $1500 and the diminished returns on performance just make it not worth it. Unless your a professional doing some high end rendering the 3090 is only going to give you an estimated 120% the 3080's performance for 200% the price.

Now at $1200 vs $1500 which gives you 120% performance for 125% the price ... that's easier to swallow .. however, There's a chance Nvidia may slide a 3080 ti in around Xmas for around $1000 by simply halving the 3090's memory down to 11 or 12 gigs vs the 3090's 24gb which is overkill for nearly all games ... you would still be getting around the same performance as the 3090 for a lot less.

"Shocking as it may sound, eBay allows sellers to put up listings of products that he or she doesn't physically have under the presale policy. The platform's rules state that 'Presale listings must clearly state that they are "presale" in the title and description, and guarantee delivery within 30 days of purchase.' As long as the postings abide by the indications, eBay will allow them to stay online."

They really need to do something about this as bad as it sounds I'm willing to bet many onine vendors are going to use captchas to trip up the bots.... I hate captchas.

Since I have a 1080ti and an radeon r9 390 If this goes south for me I can wait for restock and/or prices to come down or wait till the 3080ti or 3080super comes out.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-3080-scalpers
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:57:09 AM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 05:39:56 AM »
2020 is an exciting year for Hardware enthusiasts.
First AMD dethroned Intel as having the best/most efficient notebook CPU (Renoir Ryzen 4xxxG series)
Second there will be fierce competition in the mid to higher end range of desktop GPUS with AMD and Nvidia releasing new faster generations (BigNavi vs Ampere)
Third in October AMD announces Zen3 which should dethrone Intel as having the best gaming CPU.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »
Well that was a bigger mess than trying to get a Virpil Hotas set up.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
Looks like the article was correct regarding availability and the pricing.

The next question will be, will the 20gb mod be available and how much will it cost? And will AMDs offerings be competitive?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:45:40 AM by atlau »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
All the more reason to wait and see how this shakes out. In the next few months there will be more choices (including the AMD flavor) at more price points and they'll be more readily available. Not like this whole thing didn't play out this way exactly with the 20 series.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"