Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13703 times)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 05:02:11 PM »
Well until they figure it all out I'll just keep my 7mpg peterbilt... She's paid for... Not the wife.. still making payments on her..
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 05:12:21 PM »
Good pic Scotty ! I thought you have a red truck, but blue looks good too  :D

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 10:16:54 PM »
Well until they figure it all out I'll just keep my 7mpg peterbilt... She's paid for... Not the wife.. still making payments on her..

Do you have the sign on your sleeper.... "Sleeps one wide, two deep"?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »
Do you have the sign on your sleeper.... "Sleeps one wide, two deep"?
no.. But that's a good idea
"scott66"        

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 12:48:30 AM »
no.. But that's a good idea

you stole fiona from me  :furious

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 02:26:14 AM »
you stole fiona from me  :furious

semp
LMAO! Can't get that song out of my head
"scott66"        

Offline Haskell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
A couple points. A 500 mile range per charge just isn't going to cut it for over the road operators. It certainly is viable for short haul or urban deliver trucks IF they can provide a load vs weight balance that allows them to operate on the city streets economically.  Secondly due to the idiot in charge of the PDRK (peepuls demokratik repugnant of kaliphornya) who shut down both nuke and fossil fuel power generating plants there is insufficient electrical grid to power the current load. The rotating blackouts were proof of that recently. It is estimated that to power an all electrical vehicle state with just a small car like the chevy volt it would take double the previous grid (pre anti nuke and fossil fuel plants) level of power to charge them.

In addition they neglected to talk about the issue of either recycling the batteries or disposal including the tremendous amount of hazardous waste.

I am far from a luddite but I do not see the electrical vehicle tech capable of taking over from ICE any time soon.

500 miles is more than enough, the furthest you can drive in a day feasibly is 600-650 miles. at some point you have to take a break, and within that break time the megachargers should be able to top you off before you finish off for the day.

they fit in perfectly with the safety regulations.

recyling these type of batteries is a solved problem.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
500 miles is more than enough, the furthest you can drive in a day feasibly is 600-650 miles. at some point you have to take a break, and within that break time the megachargers should be able to top you off before you finish off for the day.

they fit in perfectly with the safety regulations.

recyling these type of batteries is a solved problem.

2 words, co driver or tandem team.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
2 words, co driver or tandem team.

They can gang plug the truck.   :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
A lot of claims made in this video about lowering emissions and other wild claims. Yet, no mention that a lot of electricity in North America still comes from coal or natural gas generators. And the amount of rare earth minerals required to make a Tesla semi - none of it is recyclable. When the truck is done, it goes into a landfill. While other diesel trucks - almost all of it gets recycled.

Just saying.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
A lot of claims made in this video about lowering emissions and other wild claims. Yet, no mention that a lot of electricity in North America still comes from coal or natural gas generators. And the amount of rare earth minerals required to make a Tesla semi - none of it is recyclable. When the truck is done, it goes into a landfill. While other diesel trucks - almost all of it gets recycled.

Nearly your entire post is full of toejam.

Your electric energy supply is only going to get greener over time, your diesel engine is dirty for life.

The only component that might use a small amount of rare earths in the Tesla Semi is the motors, if they use permanent magnets. Tesla has also used induction motors which don't have magnets, and I haven't heard which they'll use in the Semi yet.  And no reasonable person has expressed environmental concerns over the rare earths in the existing Tesla motors to date.

The batteries are going to be fully recyclable.  See Tesla's most recent Battery Day presentation. And the batteries don't have rare earth elements in them.

There's no reason at all to think that a Tesla Semi will go in a landfill at the end of its life, and plenty of evidence, based on the salvage value of existing Tesla vehicles, to think the exact opposite.

About the only thing you got right was point out that existing energy often comes from dirty sources. But even the dirtiest coal plant in America is cleaner than the cleanest semi-truck-sized diesel engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JohGniYph-c&t=22

Just saying.

Indeed.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:41 PM »
Nearly your entire post is full of toejam.

Your electric energy supply is only going to get greener over time, your diesel engine is dirty for life.

The only component that might use a small amount of rare earths in the Tesla Semi is the motors, if they use permanent magnets. Tesla has also used induction motors which don't have magnets, and I haven't heard which they'll use in the Semi yet.  And no reasonable person has expressed environmental concerns over the rare earths in the existing Tesla motors to date.

The batteries are going to be fully recyclable.  See Tesla's most recent Battery Day presentation. And the batteries don't have rare earth elements in them.

There's no reason at all to think that a Tesla Semi will go in a landfill at the end of its life, and plenty of evidence, based on the salvage value of existing Tesla vehicles, to think the exact opposite.

About the only thing you got right was point out that existing energy often comes from dirty sources. But even the dirtiest coal plant in America is cleaner than the cleanest semi-truck-sized diesel engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JohGniYph-c&t=22

Indeed.

Watch Planet of the Humans for a different perspective on 'green energy' and lots of facts.

Ask yourself a great question - 'why does going green mean you have to buy something new?'

Things like 'solar panels, battery power cars, biofuel, wood chips for power generation, all of it is sheit. All of it. Sure, CO2 emissions bad. Diesel emission bad. Climate change bad.

The bigger issue is the consumption of the natural resources of our planet. The green industry is ensuring 100% we continue that path.  An some fracking Tesla truck is just another cog in the consumption chain.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 12:59:24 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
Watch Planet of the Humans for a different perspective on 'green energy' and lots of facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Humans#Factual_accuracy

422 Error: Accuracy Not Found
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 08:35:05 PM »
Diesel is actually not that bad.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 12:34:33 PM »
Ask yourself a great question - 'why does going green mean you have to buy something new?'

Sure, some of the evidence wasn't as transparent as it could of been, it's a doc with a perspective. That said, my comment above still stands.