Author Topic: Sullly Day  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Sullly Day
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »
Agree!  IN

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »
I am truly amazed at how "off the rails" this thread has gone. It was initiated by the approaching date. Had it been closer to July 19, I would have also ask for remembrance of Al Haynes, Bill Records, Dudley Dvorak and Dennis Fitch.

I'm sure you would have.

Thankfully very few professional pilots are faced with "all or nothing" emergencies

And yet we've seen what happens when poorly trained crews face them.   We've also seen how mature, modest, quiet professionals behave after they succeed in walking away from them.   It is most certainly not the way Sullen has done it.

but to compare those incidents to one's personal accomplishments in a Simulator is intellectually corrupt.

You have gone full scale on the localizer.   Execute the missed and try again.   

If simulators and what we learn from them and in them were "intellectually corrupt" we would still be doing rides in the jets themselves--and we would be crashing a lot of airplanes, both in training and the real world.   Simulators are completely irreplaceable tools for teaching, learning, and evaluation.    What you do in training you'll do in real life, good or bad.

Sullen did the only thing he could have in the situation--unless he wanted to do something stupid like try to return to the airport or make KTEB.   It's the exact same thing others have done, only, I'll argue, it was actually easier in many respects.   My experience in the simulator pre-dating this so-called "miracle" shows I'm right, you're not.    My training and experience saved the [simulated] day just like thousands of my colleagues would have done, including in real life were it to come to that.

If you screw-up a simulator ditching the check pilot's debrief pales in comparison to the simulator cab filling with ice cold water.

They barely got their feet wet (and had they not screwed up the checklist they wouldn't have gotten even that little bit of water in the jet).  That thing would have been a hazard to navigation for years regardless.   And I'm not talking about an emergency evac over the wings--that hat tip goes ENTIRELY to the Flight Attendants who are completely ignored in this event--I'm focused on the act of getting that Bus down in one piece.    Sullen put the jet in the water which was his only good option.   I can pick 100 Captains at random out of the phone book who would have done the exact same thing--and perhaps done it better.

One member seems to have a personal dislike for Chesley Sullenberger but I might surmise at the risk of incurring HiTech's wrath, that this dislike has it's foundation in this statement:

“For the first time in American history, a president has repeatedly shown utter and vulgar contempt and disrespect for those who have served and died serving our country,” the former pilot wrote. “While I am not surprised, I am disgusted by the current occupant of the Oval Office.”

With that, I would ask HiTech to close or delete the entire thread and I apologize to all for starting it.

This slanderous/libelous quote [from Sullen] is a completely unmerited, unwarranted, baseless, and entirely idiotic statement from a man [Sullen] who likes seeing himself on TV long after his five minutes of fame expired.  There is not one shred of truth to what he [Sullen] claimed.  NOT ONE.   It was (hopefully) the last in a long line of utterly ridiculous, uneducated, self-important tripe stemming from that arrogant, overrated, media-appointed water-walker [Sullen].

Super Storm Sandy!

Poloar Vortex!!!

Miracle on the Hudson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Gag*

:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, more than one crew PER DAY in the US alone successfully land airplanes after inflight smoke events (my buddy's wife actually did it twice in one day because MX screwed up the repair) and not one of them has been [self-]elevated to the position of cultural icon or Presidential Kingmaker.   It's really freaking twisted and should not be allowed to go by unaddressed just because some are too blinded by bias/hype to do so.   

I *GUARANTEE* you if I changed the person referenced in that quote and went all over TV blabbing my mouth without being asked you would condemn me faster than you could pick up your cell phone no matter how many "miracles" I had pulled off.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:42:05 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »
@Vraciu:

I'm very surprised that you were allowed back to the forums.
Clearly your past history has not been taken into consideration.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
@Vraciu:

I'm very surprised that you were allowed back to the forums.
Clearly your past history has not been taken into consideration.

Coogan

So because I don't toe your party line I should be banned?   How very enlightened of you.   It's also hypocritical considering your personal attacks on me, of which I have never responded in kind.   Perhaps you should be banned instead.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2021, 03:47:54 PM »
You did change your post after viewing my reply to your post.

I guess that's what the "quote function" is for.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2021, 03:52:07 PM »
You did change your post after viewing my reply to your post.

I guess that's what the "quote function" is for.

I regularly change my posts when I find typos and want to spell things out more clearly for proper context.  That's what the edit function is for.  (Although in this case I have no clue what you are talking about.   It is also quite possible you replied to something while I was in mid-edit.  That happens a lot.   I see nothing out of sequence in my posts where yours are concerned, though.  Edit in: I have edited this one again now, after you replied.  LOL  :D )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:13:09 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2021, 04:06:57 PM »

I probably misread the time.    Apologies.

You know we said the same thing different ways.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »

I probably misread the time.    Apologies.

You know we said the same thing different ways.

No sweat.   I have no beef with you, old friend.    :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
LOL he is a pilot... nothing else. He just needs to know the plane he is flying and react well.

I would not trust him for anything else as seems to be ignorant... going by his off the wall statement.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:30 PM »
As for what I may or may not have done, with respect, that’s personal and I prefer to keep it that way.
Convenient. AKA, nothing.  :bolt:

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:14 PM »
I would not trust him for anything else as seems to be ignorant... going by his off the wall statement.

Ignorant because his political views do not align with yours? How... :old:

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2021, 08:47:41 PM »

#Weaksauce

I have no need to prove my bona fides to an anonymous troll.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Ignorant because his political views do not align with yours? How... :old:

Ignorant because his assertions do not align with the FACTS.

He fell for a hoax and ran his mouth.

His ignorance extends well beyond politics and predates it by a long shot.

Next!!!   :old:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2021, 09:09:59 PM »
Ignorant because his assertions do not align with the FACTS.

He fell for a hoax and ran his mouth.

His ignorance extends well beyond politics and predates it by a long shot.

Next!!!   :old:

I believe you'd be happier if the plane had crashed and nobody survived.
Is your life that bitter?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »

Nail on the head there.   :rofl

Coogan
Game Id's: