Author Topic: Sullly Day  (Read 8211 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sullly Day
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
I posted that it was good.... just like many others have done a good job.

Exactly.

You wanna see something very few could pull off I contend it is what the crew and dead-head Check Airman did on United 232.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 01:58:34 PM »
Thank you Tyfoo. You are exactly right. Seems some won't recognize a good job unless they themselves are recognized.

No.  It's just that some of us know what it's like to have been there and done that.   Doers do, they don't have to talk.

When Bob Lilly or Randy White sacked a QB they didn't strut and preen.  They acted like it was just another play.

That's what a real hero does.   

Sully is doing doughnuts in the parking lot, running his mouth about how people who disagree with his politics are morons, and generally behaving like a man in love with his own press.    Unbecoming and not a good reflection on the profession in the eyes of many of us.

One of the guys I flew Falcons with is married to a gal who was a CRJ Captain at a regional airline.  She landed an airplane that blew an oil seal and filled the cockpit with smoke after takeoff.   She couldn't see five inches in front of her face.  Another 90 seconds and I doubt the outcome would have been survivable, it was that dire.   Nobody even knows her name.  *THAT* was something worthy of mention and a movie.   It was exceptional.

I'm not diminishing what the USAir crew did.   But the harsh reality is that Sullenberger did the job any competent Captain would have done, including you, Puma, Toad, myself, virtually every 121 Captain [of my generation and prior] I've ever flown with, etc.  If not, then you have no business in the left seat.   At least Skiles (his F/O) has stayed dignified throughout this.

Landing a jet with a smoke-filled cockpit and no EVAS?   That's an entirely different level of accomplishment.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:19:23 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »

No.  It's just that some of us know what it's like to have been there and done that.   Doers do, they don't have to talk.

When Bob Lilly or Randy White sacked a QB they didn't strut and preen.  They acted like it was just another play.

Sully is doing doughnuts in the parking lot, running his mouth about how people who disagree with his politics are morons, and generally behaving like a man in love with his own press.    Unbecoming and not a good reflection on the profession in the eyes of many of us.

One of the guys I flew Falcons with is married to a gal who was a CRJ Captain at a regional airline.  She landed an airplane that blew an oil seal and filled the cockpit with smoke after takeoff.   She couldn't see five inches in front of her face.  Another 90 seconds and I doubt the outcome would have been survivable, it was that dire.   Nobody even knows her name.  *THAT* was something worthy of mention and a movie.   It was exceptional.

I'm not diminishing what the USAir crew did.   But the harsh reality is that Sullenberger did the job any competent Captain would have done, including you, Puma, Toad, myself, virtually every 121 Captain [of my generation and prior] I've ever flown with, etc.  If not, then you have no business in the left seat.   At least Skiles (his F/O) has stayed dignified throughout this.

Landing a jet with a smoke-filled cockpit and no EVAS?   That's an entirely different level of accomplishment.

When exactly did you do anything in comparison to Sully's water landing?
I didn't see anything on the news about it...

Coogan
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:32:58 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
When exactly did you do anything in comparison to Scully's water landing?
I didn't see anything on the news about it...

Coogan

Who is Scully?   :rolleyes:

You don't see a lot of things on the news.   Do you have ANY IDEA how many inflight smoke events occur on a daily basis?

Of course you don't. 

And they are light years more perilous than ditching in a giant river that was gift wrapped right in front of you.

As for what I've done, you'll never know because I won't talk about it except privately among my colleagues IF they ask.  The men I've mentioned in this thread are probably the same way.

Doers do, they don't have to talk.

I WILL, however, loudly and humbly proclaim all my mistakes and the knowledge gained as a result in the hope others will be spared learning those lessons the hard way.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:24:43 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »

I'm usually in agreement with a lot of your ideas and conclusions pertaining to aviation, its the demeanor thats difficult to understand. I am not aware of any hazardous attitude that has ever been attributed to a positive outcome on the flight deck. I wouldn't be surprised if this subject hasn't reared its head in an eval or two in the past.

But to equate a football player sacking a quarterback and not strutting and preening as what "a real hero" does - to actually saving 150 lives - Well I am still shaking the gray matter around in my head and having to work through that . . . .lol I never realized a job in entertainment was as equitably important. 

Be that what it may, I think many of us would love to hear about your "being there and done that" equivalent to what Sully did.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »
Sully did an outstanding job that no doubt saved all their lives... Is sully the only one in the world that could have done that? Who knows but I bet every single passenger aboard that plane was glad sully was in command.. If you remember he wasn't praised as a hero at first.. he was under Mass scrutiny and criticism.... Under those exact set of circumstances I'm pretty sure no one here has faced.. So I'll take my sully flag and continue to March in the parade. Considering the name of this post is" sully day"not "look what others have done even better than sully day"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:06:13 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
I think he kept extra speed and concentrated on a very low vertical speed to remain in full control at touchdown.

Most of the ones I've seen end up losing a wing and rolling because one of the engines hanging off the wing touches down a few milleseconds before the other one and the remaining wing's lift doesn't have to do much to roll it.

Not sure I've ever landed a jet full stall.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2021, 06:08:31 PM »
I'm usually in agreement with a lot of your ideas and conclusions pertaining to aviation, its the demeanor thats difficult to understand. I am not aware of any hazardous attitude that has ever been attributed to a positive outcome on the flight deck. I wouldn't be surprised if this subject hasn't reared its head in an eval or two in the past.

But to equate a football player sacking a quarterback and not strutting and preening as what "a real hero" does - to actually saving 150 lives - Well I am still shaking the gray matter around in my head and having to work through that . . . .lol I never realized a job in entertainment was as equitably important. 

Be that what it may, I think many of us would love to hear about your "being there and done that" equivalent to what Sully did.

Ty, it’s a metaphor not an equivalency.  But it is also what we are paid to do, as it is with football players or any other profession   Be technically and tactically proficient, just like the Marine Corps.  Anyone who isn’t has no business being a Captain.

“Never let an airplane take you somewhere that your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.”   This includes dual engine failure scenarios on takeoff.

Sully running his mouth about politics like he was anointed as a god for ditching a jet when he had no other choice is just bizarre—and unbecoming, if not downright insulting.

As for what I may or may not have done, with respect, that’s personal and I prefer to keep it that way.

:salute

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:39:13 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »
I think he kept extra speed and concentrated on a very low vertical speed to remain in full control at touchdown.

Most of the ones I've seen end up losing a wing and rolling because one of the engines hanging off the wing touches down a few milleseconds before the other one and the remaining wing's lift doesn't have to do much to roll it.

Not sure I've ever landed a jet full stall.

You can’t land an A-320/321/319 full stall.   It won’t let you.   

Which ones have you seen?   I would be interested in hearing these.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »
I'm with you busher.. Sully day for sure got my vote
"scott66"        

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »

If a day ain't good enough for Washington and Lincoln then it's too much for a Sullen Sully. 

Professional Aviators' Day gets my vote and it should be on July 19.   What the guys on UAL 232 did was the real miracle, not this.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »
If a day ain't good enough for Washington and Lincoln then it's too much for a Sullen Sully. 

Professional Aviators' Day gets my vote and it should be on July 19.   What the guys on UAL 232 did was the real miracle, not this.
did you not read the op post?? Go start your own thread this was a salute to sully stop hijacking and dumping on a thread you have no interest in supporting. Go spread your hate elsewhere we are not impressed
"scott66"        

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 09:26:25 PM »

Thank you. In spite of confusion to the contrary, I was not suggesting Sully's name be placed on the calendar. I was only reminding us of a job well done in a myopic world that rarely remembers accomplishments of 3 days previous.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2021, 09:30:19 PM »
Thank you. In spite of confusion to the contrary, I was not suggesting Sully's name be placed on the calendar. I was only reminding us of a job well done in a myopic world that rarely remembers accomplishments of 3 days previous.
realized that but I was gonna run with it lol..btw V if you posted a UAL 232 thread about how remarkable what they were able to do and the fact that anybody survived is a miracle .I would agree What i wouldn't do is come to it and dump on it like what you did here.. Both remarkable equally completely different set of circumstances
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:52:21 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2021, 11:22:46 PM »
realized that but I was gonna run with it lol..btw V if you posted a UAL 232 thread about how remarkable what they were able to do and the fact that anybody survived is a miracle .I would agree What i wouldn't do is come to it and dump on it like what you did here.. Both remarkable equally completely different set of circumstances

Anyone who contends these two emergencies were even remotely equal has no concept of the subject at hand.  What the United crew did was, as best I can determine, unprecedented--and unduplicated.

Just about any Captain could do what Sullen did.   I know of not a soul that would dare suggest they could pull off what that United bunch did.  I sure couldn't have.
”KILLER V”
The Damned