Author Topic: 4 maps that need to go  (Read 8153 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: 4 maps that need to go
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2021, 10:51:24 AM »
Shaw's book is mostly irrelevant for AcesHigh, and one of the fastest ways to get yourself a repeat ticket to the tower :old:.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
Shaw's book is mostly irrelevant for AcesHigh, and one of the fastest ways to get yourself a repeat ticket to the tower :old:.

Could be.  I've never read it.  Should we be impressed?   ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
I will say that I have logged on many times and logged right back off after looking at the map.  As someone else pointed out (I think Fugitive), the low numbers just makes several of these maps stale. As summer approaches, I will be considering spending more time on AH while my other gaming buddies are all at work. I guess I need to start learning how to make my own fun again. 😂😂. Heck, most of the time I find myself flying in the training arena by myself.

I normally have Halo or another game running at the same time I have AH running. I will check to see what fights are going on. If there are any, I will roll and join the fight, if not, I'll play Halo and recheck the MA after the match. The past couple of weekends, I've been sitting the tower for up to 3-5 hours waiting for a good fight to pop in the afternoons. These big map that end up taking over the weekends are really causing some poor gameplay during off hours.

Yesterday, I was stuck with bowlMA again sat around for 2 hours while playing Halo. I was on the bish side with 42% of bases. I had auto switch on. The fight finally got going a little bit we had about 6 cons on each team. I rolled, had a decent sortie. Then It auto switched me to Knights. I had just told my squadie to switch to Bish for this fight that was looking big (finally!) (Bad decision though). So now I had to take off auto switch and switch back to Bish to rejoin him. Now we are both stuck on Bish. We roll for the sortie. All of the sudden the fight just dies out of no where. We are flying around for 20 minutes to 2 enemy bases on the island and there is no one to shoot any more. We RTB and land with nothing. All we saw was a 20k p51 that was too timid to dance. So just like that, the fight was over and we are stuck. We rolled to go jabo a base with some friendlies and we died pretty quickly screwing around. At this point our team was in full control with the hoard. There was really nothing much else to do. We took a break, and i had to log off after another 20 minutes. It appeared the fight was better on the other side of the map, but can't really tell with only 1 red dar. So I brought my squadie over for a good fight. And ended up kinda screwing him for another 6 hours of 0 fights where the bish only had 1 island they there hoarding to get bases back.

This is just kind of my frustration right now with these maps and the playability of them for most of the day.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:52:19 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2021, 01:34:25 PM »
Sometimes in slower periods even going auto assigned does not provide the fight you think it should

I was thinking if I just wanted to fly around I should log into IL2 or DCS as they are prettier

This is even more reason for events like last Friday night and MNM

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »

I was thinking if I just wanted to fly around I should log into IL2 or DCS as they are prettier

I downloaded DCS yesterday. Gonna give it a try tonight!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
violator were you having fun in helo? my guess you weren't. did you post anything on helo bb about how to improve gameplay?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2021, 02:30:54 PM »
Yes you’re right I tend to be condescending in text (maybe in general, shrug) towards players who fully exploit the MA’s facilities to avoid fair combat and risk, even if it is (was) damaging to the game and player-base, driving others away. Just boils my piss.

About my Robert Shaw anecdote: I met him in the DA, then bought his book, then worked through it annotating with further study and disregarding sections until eventually discarding it. From this a couple of you seem to have read: I deluded myself that I took him to the DA, schooled him on how Top Gun and Newtonian physics was all wrong, tore out sections of his book and used it for toilet paper before having a fake Iron Cross fashioned for myself out of a Mercedes 190 sump-plug so I'd look good in my next Photoshopped self-portraits. Wow. And you guys are entirely without fault.

None of my activities in game reflect the personality you are trying to paint me as. Even in this thread I was trying to contribute a constructive thought before you decided you didn't like my tone. If I could get a fight as fast in the MA as I can on the forums...

That anecdote was intended to illustrate how anyone, who’s willing to do the work, can get very good in the frame of reference of the title  ‘Aces High’ and how this was the case to the point that some players were doing stuff not even in the reference texts.

I’m bemoaning the loss of that knowledge and activity on a community-wide level, including myself in that community (not above it) and my possibility to continue. Refer to my signature which has been untouched for several years and I meant it.

Violator is bemoaning the fact that he can't apply the leverage of his superior ACM against weaker opponents at a higher hourly rate (although I do like him).

Funny old world.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:34:42 PM by nrshida »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
Yes you’re right I tend to be condescending in text (maybe in general, shrug) towards players who fully exploit the MA’s facilities to avoid fair combat and risk, even if it is (was) damaging to the game and player-base, driving others away. Just boils my piss.

And then in the next breath, you allegedly don't want people to "play your way"...  Do you not see the issue there?

About my Robert Shaw anecdote: I met him in the DA, then bought his book, then worked through it annotating with further study and disregarding sections until eventually discarding it. From this a couple of you seem to have read: I deluded myself that I took him to the DA, schooled him on how Top Gun and Newtonian physics was all wrong, tore out sections of his book and used it for toilet paper before having a fake Iron Cross fashioned for myself out of a Mercedes 190 sump-plug so I'd look good in my next Photoshopped self-portraits. Wow. And you guys are entirely without fault.

LOL bit defensive over that, eh?  I said none of what you're stating, I am simply responding to what your actual statements were and the underlying tone with which they were given.

None of my activities in game reflect the personality you are trying to paint me as. Even in this thread I was trying to contribute a constructive thought before you decided you didn't like my tone. If I could get a fight as fast in the MA as I can on the forums...

And you make certain with every single post to mention it.  You even help people on the enemy teams!  What a benificent, giving person you are!!!

That anecdote was intended to illustrate how anyone, who’s willing to do the work, can get very good in the frame of reference of the title  ‘Aces High’ and how this was the case to the point that some players were doing stuff not even in the reference texts.

I’m bemoaning the loss of that knowledge and activity on a community-wide level, including myself in that community (not above it) and my possibility to continue. Refer to my signature which has been untouched for several years and I meant it.

Violator is bemoaning the fact that he can't apply the leverage of his superior ACM against weaker opponents at a higher hourly rate (although I do like him).

Funny old world.

From the first time a person starts playing a game, a timer starts counting down.  The timer is longer or shorter for different individuals, but eventually everybody's reaches zero and they stop playing it.  Compared to most other games, this one keeps some people for an astoundingly long time.

The game mechanics aren't helping, but most of the issue is the average rank and file players simply aren't interested in training to become a top 5%er, regardless of how the game works.  The game used to be filled with aviation enthusiasts.  It's now filled with gamers who want to win.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2021, 03:23:06 PM »
I downloaded DCS yesterday. Gonna give it a try tonight!

It's a fun game for sure.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2021, 03:52:30 PM »

Funny old world.

I'm bemoaning that fact for everyone. By having maps that are too scattered with action, it creates a lack of air combat density, this lack of air combat density becomes a detriment for the majority of players trying to get into some air combat action. Ie, they have 1 hour to play the game, can they find the action they desire, or will they find another game that provides that action at a better rate? When these outdated maps become more prevalent during the weekends because of "time it takes to win map". This can cause a major decrease in players who are tired of playing that map when they only get to play on the weekends, these maps only have combat density in the prime time hours if we are lucky. Just measure the average #s of players on the weekend compared to what map is up. It is clearly blatant and obvious to me.

This goes to a previous post I made before. When you increase the K/H for most players, the #s overall will increase due to action density. People want action density. Spread out small dars is not what people want. The Map makes all of the difference. The fights make all of the difference.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2021, 04:48:47 PM »
I'm bemoaning that fact for everyone. By having maps that are too scattered with action, it creates a lack of air combat density, this lack of air combat density becomes a detriment for the majority of players trying to get into some air combat action. Ie, they have 1 hour to play the game, can they find the action they desire, or will they find another game that provides that action at a better rate? When these outdated maps become more prevalent during the weekends because of "time it takes to win map". This can cause a major decrease in players who are tired of playing that map when they only get to play on the weekends, these maps only have combat density in the prime time hours if we are lucky. Just measure the average #s of players on the weekend compared to what map is up. It is clearly blatant and obvious to me.

This goes to a previous post I made before. When you increase the K/H for most players, the #s overall will increase due to action density. People want action density. Spread out small dars is not what people want. The Map makes all of the difference. The fights make all of the difference.

"I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead, burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL."

:devil
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »
so now violator proposes a never ending horde because that's what people want.  interesting.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
snip
Should we be impressed?   ;)

I don't think anyone you have posed that question to has at one point tried to impress anyone. I certainly have not read that particular tone in other posts.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
so now violator proposes a never ending horde because that's what people want.  interesting.

semp

Better than no fight at all.....maps with good and shorter base layouts create less hoarding because it's faster to defend from a back field..maps with far distance fields create the biggest hoards, thats one reason I don't like Mindnao and even smpizza even though they are smaller, the same for bases on buzzsaw. The back fields are too far to defend from.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:20:09 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
How far is "too far" to fly to an adjacent base? 16 miles, 20 miles, 30 miles????? What altitude do you "have to be" to engage?? Maybe hangers need to be set at 4500 lbs. instead of 3000 lbs. ord bunkers at 1500 lbs, and dar at 1000 lbs.. You tell me. I'm not a fighter pilot, but it seems that when you cap a base and start vulching, or you have some one "picking", those kill fights.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76