Author Topic: Why were all of the maps with GV spawn battles removed from AH3?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
There are no longer any maps in the rotation that have GV spawns that are close together nor v bases that feed into a basin like in AH2. Is this by
design or just a coincidence?

I believe BowlMA is the only map that has v bases that feed into a central basin but the spawns are pretty far apart when compared to the maps
of AH2. I realize this is a flight sim, but fighters, bombers and gv's need each other and compliment the common goal of winning a map.

CraterMA used to be my favorite map in AH2 and we used to have massive amounts of gv'ers when that map was up, but in AH3 the spawns all feed into thick trees. When you spawn in all you see is thick trees in front of you and  the spawns are far apart making gv'ers drive for awhile to find action. Fast action is important. That map is never populated in the basin for that reason. It is still a fun map, but if spawns were moved closer together like the original map, gv'ers would definitely use the center part of the map again.

Some of the older maps require long drives from the spawn to the town or base. Who wants to drive for 10 min only to get egged when you finally get there.....arggggggggghhhhhhh.
If those older maps could have the vehicle spawns redone to cut down the driving the gv's  would get into battle the quicker. A fast pace is important for AH3.

I am just suggesting some of the maps be fine tuned a little. I welcome the fighter pilots and bombers
to make suggestions as well.

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why were all of the maps with GV spawn battles removed from AH3?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »
You may find that the old AH2 terrains have two different distances for GV spawns from the target map room, 3 miles and 5 miles. I haven't kept track, so maybe they are all 3 miles now?
If you see spawns at 5 miles, those are terrains that were updated while AH3 was in Beta and 5 miles was the old rule for distance. After AH3 went live and HTC saw the impact of the new speedtree environment, the distance was relaxed to 3 miles for the rest of the conversions. If you know of spawns at 5 miles, (SFMA?) and can find a volunteer willing too do the changes, the problem can be solved.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:29:44 AM »
If you know of spawns at 5 miles, (SFMA?) and can find a volunteer willing too do the changes, the problem can be solved.

I'd be glad to adjust spawns, if you can get HT's approval.  It would mean transferring a lot of data so I can't do it right now as I am using a cell phone connection for the net.  However, I will be getting a fiber connection soon.

Montis is one of the maps that could use GV spawn adjusting.  Some of the spawns go to empty terrain that (I think) used to be Strat locations.  Also, some countries have spawns to resupply Strats, while others do not.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 08:50:52 AM »
There are 2 good gv maps in rotation imho, Bustr's Fjord and Kong's Northco. I know that Kong and I both have submitted new maps, but have had no feedback from Hitech as to "yes/no", "needs this" or "remove this". I have sent several emails and called but, still no response. I assume Dale is busy on other things. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:50:56 PM »
Jimmy,
 Send them to us. Maybe we can use them for tank night or some other things we are thinking of coming up with!
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 01:57:16 PM »
"Who wants to drive for 10 min only to get egged when you finally get there.....arggggggggghhhhhhh."

I've been making this argument for a very very long time, not just for tanks, but for planes. I feel it's even dumber for tanks because all it takes is one ping out of freaking no where to end your run. I could never understand how people find this enjoyable.

I find all of the trees to be freaking ridiculous. I know that has probably cost a lot of subscribers as well. I Def think it makes big tank battles very tough.

Farm land would be much more appealing anyway.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 05:12:48 PM »
BTW, Northco has a GV playground in the southeast corner of the map -- far away from bomb****s.  Open spaces with rolling hills and a village in the center.  The problem is that since there are no bases nearby, no one will know that you are there unless you announce a fight on 200.  Oops.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
There will be announcements now !

:rofl
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »

I personally believe that all spawns need to be placed so the objectives are the bases/towns...... not some juvenile spawn battle that only good for seeing your  name in lights and running up a kill count.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 04:56:02 AM »

I personally believe that all spawns need to be placed so the objectives are the bases/towns...... not some juvenile spawn battle that only good for seeing your  name in lights and running up a kill count.

CAV

What about those juvenile furballs that cause us tank guys  to have to try to capture bases with no air support?  Maybe we should put more distance between airfields too?
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »
A Couple of do0des Spawn camping.. Utterly fantastic gameplay  :banana:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
I think all vbases ought to have the Hurricane 2D and the Stuka G enabled.

Chuikov

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 08:02:40 PM »
Maybe we should put more distance between airfields too?

I am Ok with that Too... start turning AH from a arcade game, back to a combat simulation.

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 04:39:18 PM »
Spot on with Greebo’s CraterMA.

I don’t recall anyone ever saying one negative thing about the Tank Town on that map in AH2. It was fantastic and with the rollout of the tank destroyers even more fun back then.

In AH3, now no one is ever there.  :(
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
Good reason to get rid of CraterMA. Not suitable for current #s. Too big, bases are too far, and TT is pointless.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion