Author Topic: Unsportsmanlike game play  (Read 14429 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Unsportsmanlike game play
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2021, 09:25:45 PM »
I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately many people seem to have been brought up to be A holes instead of recognizing these unspoken rules the rest of us live with day in and day out.

Well, given that the OP is so successful in enforcing his individual set of personal rules on others that he felt the need to come to the forum and emotionally show his azz; given that I've seen endless variation on this whine over and over and over again on this forum since day one....

I have to ask, how's that workin for ya?

Maybe Vinkman should yell louder and jump up and down harder.  Keep trying, man.  Eventually I'm sure everyone will fly the plane he thinks they should, at the speed he is comfortable with, at an altitude he likes, and only engage or disengages after he has given them permission to do so. 

It's only a matter of persistence.  Wear them down.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »

Well, given that the OP is so successful in enforcing his individual set of personal rules on others that he felt the need to come to the forum and emotionally show his azz; given that I've seen endless variation on this whine over and over and over again on this forum since day one....

Maybe Vinkman should yell louder and jump up and down harder.  Keep trying, man.  Eventually I'm sure everyone will fly the plane he thinks they should, at the speed he is comfortable with, at an altitude he likes, and only engage or disengages after he has given them permission to do so. 

Yep. obtuse.
Who is John Galt?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2021, 08:43:06 AM »

The point is that that type of play drives away more players than it helps keep. Vink, I and those many others that post about this hope that some of these players, after hours of circling around looking to pick a fight realize that their picks are coming fewer and father between and may smarten up. Maybe learn to fly something else, or a different style and be part of the movement to help bring more fights to the arenas in stead of driving them away.

Pipe dream? Maybe, but it is something that will help the game in general, and it really doesnt cost anything.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2021, 08:56:11 AM »
Trips do you even still play AH or just haunt these boards?

If you do please share your handle so I can say hi in game :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2021, 09:38:46 AM »
Yep. obtuse.

So, are you claiming that after this rant post the arena has turned a 180 and now all players are abiding by Vinkman's Rules™?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
Pipe dream? Maybe, but it is something that will help the game in general, and it really doesnt cost anything.

The fundamental point You and Vinkman miss...

The terms "runstang", "pickers", "gangers" "HO-Tards", etc were not invented yesterday. 
There have been posts like this periodically since day one. Probably all the way back to AW.

In all that time, and all the rant posts about someone not liking how others fly, no one I know of has changed the way they fly in an open sandbox because some player posts a forum rant.
They will fly however they please within HTC player agreement and the constraints enforced by the software.

That has always been true.  It is true now.  It always will be true in the future, no matter how loudly Vinkman (or which ever crazy person on the street corner) yells or how hard he jumps up and down demanding they obey him.  Period.  Full stop. 

As Wiley put it succinctly.:

Expecting the arena to bend around your self-imposed rules is a) annoying and b) ridiculous.

Btw, this thread had been dead over a week until Vinkman decided he had to resurrect it.  :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:32:55 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
As Wiley put succulently.:

That may be the best autocorrect I've seen this year.  Please let it stand.  :rofl

As to Vink and Fugi, have you guys ever considered the possibility that ranting on the boards and on channel because someone interrupted your precious 1v1 or shot you from an angle that you didn't like, or just killed you in a way you find unacceptable might put some players off of the game?  I doubt you're self aware enough to realize it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »

The terms "runstang", "pickers", "gangers" "HO-Tards", etc were not invented yesterday. 
There have been posts like this periodically since day one. Probably all the way back to AW.

In all that time, and all the rant posts about someone not liking how others fly, no one I know of has changed the way they fly in an open sandbox because some player posts a forum rant.
They will fly however they please within HTC player agreement and the constraints enforced by the software.

That has always been true.  It is true now.  It always will be true in the future, no matter how loudly Vinkman (or which ever crazy person on the street corner) yells or how hard he jumps up and down demanding they obey him.  Period.  Full stop. 

As Wiley put succulently.:

Btw, this thread had been dead over a week until Vinkman decided he had to resurrect it.  :rolleyes:

Noticed you are in the DFW area, I live in Garland, NE of Dallas. Would love to meet and have a cup of coffee or lunch.  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
That may be the best autocorrect I've seen this year.  Please let it stand.  :rofl

As to Vink and Fugi, have you guys ever considered the possibility that ranting on the boards and on channel because someone interrupted your precious 1v1 or shot you from an angle that you didn't like, or just killed you in a way you find unacceptable might put some players off of the game?  I doubt you're self aware enough to realize it.

Wiley.

Gak!

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »
Noticed you are in the DFW area, I live in Garland, NE of Dallas. Would love to meet and have a cup of coffee or lunch.  :cheers:

I'm in the Coppell area. 

When this COVID thing has been reduced to background levels I'll take you up on that.

I'm back to hunkering down and avoiding public spaces through this winter.

:salute

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »

It is a small world.  My wife's oldest son in an art professor at UNT in Denton.  He and his wife live in that section of Denton known as 'Idiot's Hill.'  There used to be an old WBs player from the metroplex who went by the call sign 'chumly,' very fun to fly with.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »

As Wiley put it succinctly.:

In all the years I've been here I have seen many players change how they play and they have become much better players for it. Many others thankfully quit because they dont change and bore themselve right out of the game.

I dont know if my posts had anything to do with them changing but if it makes one person stop and think about how they play the game, Im ok with that. Same goes for in game, though I've tuned down my chatter in game a lot, if calling out poor game play now and then make a player stop and think, then great.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2021, 10:45:26 AM »
if calling out poor game play now and then make a player stop and think, then great.

It doesn't.

They simply roll their eyes, laugh at you, and continue to do what ever their whim dictates. 

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2021, 10:53:31 AM »
In all the years I've been here I have seen many players change how they play and they have become much better players for it. Many others thankfully quit because they dont change and bore themselve right out of the game.

I dont know if my posts had anything to do with them changing but if it makes one person stop and think about how they play the game, Im ok with that. Same goes for in game, though I've tuned down my chatter in game a lot, if calling out poor game play now and then make a player stop and think, then great.

It's funny, because I've had, over the last year and a half, a lot of email conversations with WBs players, people who are essentially nice people in the real world.  It's something about that game controller/virtual combat experience that turns them into idiots.  In the same manner that people will say things on FB that they wouldn't dare to say to someone face to face.  I don't pretend to understand that, either.
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2021, 11:06:02 AM »
Fugitive from 2013:

Yes they have ALWAYS been here, but they are much more numerous now. In the old days you could get 2,3, 4 flights in a row with nothing but good fun fights, then get a HOer, or runner. Today it is the opposite. 3,4,5 flights in a row you get HOed, or ganged, or stuck chasing a runners, then the next flight you get a fun fight with someone. It's kinda like golf now, you get that one got fight/shot that makes you come back again, and again.

[...]

The same goes for the HOs and gangs. Old days many would stay out of a 3 on 1, now you have an extra 5 joining in to make it 8 on 1. Sure we had all this stuff in the old days, just not so much of it.

How has that lecturing players worked for ya all these years?

Have you convinced them all to play the way you want yet?

On the other hand, here is Fugi in 2015 sorta making a little sense:

You can't force people to fight! That was one of the reasons the capture chain thing didn't work. What they have to do is make players WANT to fight. Whether it is though perks, bonus points what ever players need some kind of carrot to change them from runners and hiders to fighters.

Maybe put the higher scoring players in late 30s, very early 40s planes to give newer less skilled players a more level playing field. Sure there will be those score potatos that will throw a lot of fights to get them back in there late war monsters but that will still give kills to those who have a hard time getting them.  How they figure who gets the old planes or the newer isn't something I can figure out, Im sure someone who knows the coad can figure a way to set up a handycap system.  :noid

Forcing people only drives them away and at this point it is the last things needed. Tie the win the war to K/D. Players will have to kill more (fight), and not lawndart as often to accumulate the points to win the war with the right number of fields. Again, someone who knows the coad would have to come up with a way to set it up.

The game has all the tools, and all the options for great battles high, low and on the sea. Things have got to be added to the coad to make all these thinks more important to players so they are used instead of players looking for way to get around all of these things and cut corners to get it done the quickest, easiest way.

Correct.  Your "unwritten rules"  don't exist.  Players will do whatever they please within HTC player agreement and the constraint enforced by the "coad".

Glad to see you agreed with me way back in 2015.  :rofl
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:20:32 AM by CptTrips »