Author Topic: Untapped player resources (possibly)  (Read 3435 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Untapped player resources (possibly)
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »
Not massively thought this through as I've learned not to expend too much energy on this sort of thing but...

If it is apparently the case that Aces High does not appeal to the new generation of gamers, why not see if previous players might be attracted back. Given that a good percentage of those might now be retired, or become bored of other games or hobbies, or grandparents, or otherwise preferring to be more home-based now, why not send an email to everyone who has had a subscription for a year or more and offer a special try-it-again month-free subscription offer?

That would neutralise the learning curve and the players not sticking around for half an hour because they didn't like the interface, controller setup WHY business - they’ve already been through that. A month would give them enough time to de-rust and see if they might like to play again. While that is ongoing it would increase the effective number of players in the arena(s) for only the cost of a few Starbuck's cups-worth of extra electrons on the servers. It's win-win! Might even consider doing this in phases: n-number for this month, the next batch for the following month, to preclude a one-time only lump of potential returners. If those players still have old squaddies flying, you might also mention that.

Further, why not have a forum amnesty and do the same. Anyone who has been PNGed for what amounts to a non-death penalty offences could be emailed and invited back, with the similar offer. Possibly some players have stopped playing because of ill-feeling.

Previous-players have probably not been actively courted in the history of AH, if not, might be worth a shot.

Just a thought.   :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
Re: Untapped player resources (possibly)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »
This is a good idea.  :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »
99% agree , with the exception of those banned for cheating.  They would likely do it again, and cause more damage than good.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 05:34:12 PM »
I believe skuzzy once said that they would send emails to ex players. but some reported them as spam and ah got put into spam categories.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »

If it is apparently the case that Aces High does not appeal to the new generation of gamers, why not see if previous players might be attracted back.

Some of us have been actively getting the former players back to playing. It is a slow process but effective.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 01:09:00 PM »
I believe skuzzy once said that they would send emails to ex players. but some reported them as spam and ah got put into spam categories.

semp

I remember Skuzzy saying the same.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 04:22:29 PM »
If direct emails are a no-go, there's always facebook (twitter?) and also current players who could pass along (forward) an offer (link) of "remind a friend how great AH is and have them click this link for a free trial..." 

Or something....
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 05:31:57 PM »
I agree with what Lazer posted and Shane's post is a good idea 💡 👍

<SALUTE>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gstelmack

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 01:21:55 PM »
Well, my old email address would bounce, but with any luck I'll be back up soon. I think I've got the basic controls mapped again, but it's soccer season so time to fly is limited through May.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 01:46:28 PM »
Sorry guys... I quit playing several months ago because of strokes...
Since then I have relegated to the arcade WOWP to get my flying high...
Not that I was any good before the strokes but I really enjoyed the
comrades that all of you are... Hopefully I will get back soon b/c wowp
really sux compared to AH
 :salute

"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
I'm working on starting a YouTube channel for AHIII in VR. Just currently swamped with work and life responsibilities. But I'd love to amp up the outreach for AH to a new player base. Making fun videos with lots of shenanigans and ridiculous missions. As well as highlighting the fun in this arcade-light/not-quite-sim/but-pretty-authentic flight sim experience.

To that end, does anyone have experience with video graphics and overlays that I could develop for the intro and outro sections? And anyone have experience with music and effects to lay in? I look toward the YouTubers such as PrestonPlays and Mr. Beast Gaming, and DanTDM...all characters that my kids watch on their channels, and they have lots of fantastical and exciting effects in their videos. That's what we need!
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 01:50:31 PM »
Apologies for hijacking...but seriously does anyone have recommendations to the questions above?
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 04:02:57 PM »
Apologies for hijacking...but seriously does anyone have recommendations to the questions above?

You might ask Tactus https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,404918.msg5359416.html#msg5359416 he has some intro stuff on his videos. Dolby is still around and he was always pretty good doing films as well.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
Not massively thought this through as I've learned not to expend too much energy on this sort of thing but...

<snipped>

I've suggested similar recruitment ideas in recent years. Have never received any response from Dale. Personally I tend to believe he's OK with the current state of the game population. Players come; players go. With no staff or office overhead I'm fairly sure that so long as the current income offsets the expense of the servers...he'll ride that wave as long as possible.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:50 AM »
I've suggested similar recruitment ideas in recent years. Have never received any response from Dale. Personally I tend to believe he's OK with the current state of the game population. Players come; players go. With no staff or office overhead I'm fairly sure that so long as the current income offsets the expense of the servers...he'll ride that wave as long as possible.

Yes a reasonable conclusion given the evidence. I was more thinking of the players  :salute

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234