Author Topic: A little help.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
A little help.
« on: September 07, 2022, 09:10:00 AM »
I’ve got this section of lawn that Is just a dead spot.  I’ve seeded and watered but it just won’t take.

Any suggestions on growing grass?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: A little help.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 09:12:41 AM »
What kind of grass and where in the world?

I ask as I have Saint Augustine so when I did some dirt work, I just let runners grow and cut them. Moved them over to the dirt area pushed them in. Sprinkled some triple 13 over the area and water regular. The whole area filled in rather quickly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:15:28 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
TN.  I’m not sure what’s there now as I am no expert.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 09:15:14 AM »
Ohh east TN if it needs to be more specific.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:17:47 AM by knorB »

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »
It's very difficult to have a decent yard in my area.  I would go so far as to say it is unnatural.  In fact, lawn maint in my area borders on a vulgar display of wealth.  The time and money required is ridiculous.  Then there's the affect to ecology...  The lakefronters Vs the backlotters...  (backlotters are the people who actually live here, lakefronters are the rich weekenders).  Excess nitrogen runoff in the lake causes lake killing algae blooms, but...  "i gotta have my nice lawn!"  TruGreen comes on Weds, the lawn maint guy now has to come on Mon AND Fri ("I don't want no filthy backlotter cutting my lawn while I'm here on the weekend!") just to keep up.  It all equates to...  "LOOK AT ME THROWING MONEY TO THE WIND! IT MEANS NOTHING TO ME!!"

But...  I did do it for ONE year... Too much of a hassle.  My current trick is to neglect it JUST ENOUGH so it doesn't die, but only has to be cut once a week (or so).

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 10:51:06 AM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »
I’m in a very rural area. The spot giving me trouble is on the back side of the house where it’s wooded. I’m wondering if I got critters using this particular spot?

Think I should set up a game cam to keep an eye on that patch of grass?

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 11:24:52 AM »
How about trying to make it a natural meadow instead of a lawn? Cut it down a few times a year so that it doesn't grow bush, do that after the flowers have dropped their seeds. You may end up having some nice rare butterflies right in your backyard.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »
I’m in a very rural area. The spot giving me trouble is on the back side of the house where it’s wooded. I’m wondering if I got critters using this particular spot?

Think I should set up a game cam to keep an eye on that patch of grass?

You can do what Shuffler has done or buy enough sod to lay down and maintain it, but if it is a wooded area,  you will have a harder time keeping it going using natural resources alone....it will keep  dieing out.....not enough water/ or too much water and not enough sunlight 😉

Hope this helps

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »
Guess I should elaborate more. I’m sitting on 35 acres. I have hay fields and wooded areas.  The lawn in front goes up to a fence and the other side is hay field. Out back it goes right to a wood line. I’m not going to have meadow up to the house. Besides what’s to say that dead spot won’t remain? I’ve watched this grass all season so far and nothing. Rest of the lawn is healthy. It just gets cut every week or so, no special care.

Perplexing.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 12:00:37 PM »
Do a soil analysis on the dead spot. It might be the place the previous owner dumped his used oil when he changed oil in the tractor. Just a thought. Gotta be a reason why you've got a bare spot surrounded by grass.

Maybe dig into it 6 inches or so and see if there's rock underneath that spot. Something is preventing the grass from taking root.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 12:14:12 PM »
Maybe dig into it 6 inches or so and see if there's rock underneath that spot. Something is preventing the grass from taking root.

Probably want to have the utilities people come out and check before digging.

You never know what you might find when digging.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 02:27:29 PM »
Could even need aeration. Big trees close by pull a lot of water. Do you have a saline water softening unit nearby? Many things may cause grass not to grow in an area.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 02:32:38 PM »
Agreed. If you have saltines in your yard, the surrounding areas will be negatively affected.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear