Author Topic: Someone's definition of success...  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Someone's definition of success...
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »
No speculation that this is the rebirth of Skyyr, Starfox, Vendetta etc? Too many names to remember.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 12:42:31 AM »
No. Skyyr had a deep understanding of technical knowledge, a particular (and unconventional) strategy - in the MA at least - and a skilful execution of it. 

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2022, 01:15:20 AM »
No. Skyyr had a deep understanding of technical knowledge, a particular (and unconventional) strategy - in the MA at least - and a skilful execution of it.

yeah he was awesome, still remember when I did a complete circle around him and he just seemed to stay in the same place nose straight up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 07:41:28 AM »
I wish we had that sign you see in side view mirrors of car… things are closer than they appear.

When working with a player I always suggest they break early,yes it might give away your first move but it’s better than being shot. On your end when you look back you might see the enemy at D1000 but he might see you at D600 on his end.

These are just examples as there’s no way to know what the other player sees on his end and he has no way of knowing what you see on your end. Your ping might be a steady 60 to80ms and the other player could be having a ping of 200ms,the lag is the total of the 2 so about 260ms or just over 1/4 of a second of total lag. Then factor in the speeds and directions and there could be several 100 yds difference between what either player sees.

YMMV.

I thought HTC had some technology that limited the effects of differing ping times? If I recall, Dale has said that variance in delay causes more problems.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2022, 02:12:54 PM »
In a new exciting development, I ran into Judge this evening who once again killed me entirely due to laggy connection. On my end I'm a clear and stable 30-degrees AoT before suddenly losing a wing. Not really a biggie to me but Judge got very excited. Cue twenty minutes of quite highly-motivated smack talking, name calling and vitriolic accusations mostly to do with soya beans. Was funny though a bit wasted on non-Americans.

So again: if I don't have a point about your parasitic gameplay and lack of non lag-related skill: why so angry and why do you refuse invitations to the DA?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2022, 05:31:15 PM »
Shane shot me down a couple time the other night. I was in a Spit IX and he was in an LA-7.  I had the advantage at least one time. Shane is so good that it doesn't even matter what advantage I have.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2022, 05:35:24 PM »
He is. Part of what made Judge go into a total ego fap this evening was he also shot Shane down right before me. It's simply his laggy connection. You just have to guess where he actually is which throws years of experience out of the window and gives him an unfair advantage. And a platform to smack talk apparently.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2022, 05:44:27 PM »
I pretty much stay off of channel 200 unless it's just to say good evening and good night to everybody.

I tried to salute shame but he didn't answer me. Lol

But there's a lot of players that are so good that you can't even be sure no matter what kind of advantage you might have. Granted, I'm not that good. I don't totally suck but I'm not that good.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2022, 07:26:19 AM »
Can anyone be blamed for the quality of their internet connection?

I don't think anyone jacks with theirs to produce this super power described here...

I am usually killed by someone other than the one I am fighting in ma...just part of the game

Not everyone can duel but most can pick, gang and ho...just part of the game imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2022, 07:59:51 AM »
Can anyone be blamed for the quality of their internet connection?

If they knowingly exploit it then integrate that as part of their platform for disrupting the even playing field for others then certainly I think they should be criticised. Reviewing some films I notice at a given moment TheJudge has moved to no tracers. I say that’s to help conceal the lag which is massive in a 12-12 merge.

The Ubernoob has (probably accidentally) discovered a novel way to neutralise players with superior ACM. From an evolutionary standpoint he’s hardly going to forfeit that voluntarily.

I think the best outcome of this exchange has been that Judge’s smack-talking on channel 200 now matches his fragile ego and vindictiveness. Having slept on it I rather feel sorry for him.

Not everyone can duel but most can pick, gang and ho...just part of the game imo

I agree with you Eagler.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 08:53:25 AM »
I never understood some of the complaints some people type on 200. "Run pony" "turn and fight" or complaints about how they got picked or whatever. Or on country channel - a sarcastic "thank for the check 6.

People get uptight and mad sometimes for just normal stuff that happens in the game.

As far as check 6's go, I appreciate them but never expect someone to give them. My own SA kinda sucks and I don't usually know enough to keep an eye on other people sometimes and not that I see something and just refuse to say. lol.

You also get people that think everyone else has the same goal of capturing a base to "win the war". I never cared bout that. I just want to fly around for an hour or two and shoot at planes. I don't want to "get a goon" or supplies or "come back with eggs" or "get the ack" most of the time. People sometimes get mad that other people aren't helping them do whatever it is they want to do. I mean, I'll help anyone when I can.

A lot of times people are running because there's 5 other people on their butt and they all want you to turn around and fight. I don't really mind what anyone says.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2022, 09:51:04 AM »
In my experience, turning a 180 isn't the best way to begin a fight
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2022, 10:00:37 AM »
I’ve got a film somewhere of me surviving a ganging so replete with seagulls that I could not count them anymore. I managed to use my sustained climb rate to make it over friendly territory and do a defensive spiral downwards. When friendlies were there the gang just dispersed to get some easier kills.

Once when I was in my ACM-‘prime’ (I’m not anymore) player told me I’d made him so mad he’d grabbed his joystick off the desk and smashed it against the wall. I was horrified, being closer to the cricket-player mentality back then. Years of Aces High has altered that.

I’ll tell you a great way to get perspective. Sit in the tower for an hour as I had to do in the small hours of last night and just watch the interaction on 200 without being involved in it. You get the impression the flying aspect isn’t the main focus for the majority of the player-base  :rofl
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
lol, I prolly smashed a dozen sticks over the last 25 years
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2022, 06:38:40 AM »
If anyone remembers how I used to approach a fight in this game it goes without saying that I know my way around all sorts of turny burny reversal nonsense and that it was the style that gave me the most enjoyment. Most often I would play from disadvantage deliberately. However I will now uncharacteristically defend the 'stay alive' game play style.  Some months I would up a Dstang or a Jug and fly to stay alive. After the first defeat I would then revert. But that pressure or survival, a real life role play if you will, is a valid and difficult act of discipline. It would have been quite boring for me if it was the only style I played, but that is subjective.

I'm sure I've had my fair share of times calling out runtards in the 20 years since first playing AH. But using the online arena for your own personal combat career a la Red Baron or Dawn Patrol is a perfectly fair way to play, I believe.

anyway, having flown about 10 sorties in the last years on aces high I don't really have a right to comment on current affairs.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.