Author Topic: Enigmas Cold War for DCS  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Enigmas Cold War for DCS
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2022, 08:05:05 AM »
Yep its a job to learn just one plane in dsc...109k4 here

You spend more time managing your engine/flight than you do fighting imo

AH is nice and simple for my lazy old mr magoo eyesight self

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2022, 08:14:04 AM »
Hat switch ain't gonna get the job done anymore either
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 08:14:46 AM »

Which is why it's the highest level of flight simulation out today. Period. And your right that aces high is just easy mode.

A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 08:16:02 AM »
I've been trying DCS in anticipation of the inevitable. I also don't like the jets because I don't feel the extra speed or climb performance so much they just feel unwieldy.

You have not trialed the F-14 Tomcat sir. I assure you that you'll know you're in that particular jet. Or the A-10
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 09:14:16 AM »

You spend more time managing your engine/flight than you do fighting imo

AH is nice and simple for my lazy old mr magoo eyesight self

Eagler

Taking off in that plane is a real challenge with the rudder assist off. I found it less scary doing it in the pitch black of night. ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 09:34:38 AM »
It's great if you want to wrestle your plane while trying not to overheat while scanning the skies for invisible cons..

Takes way too much time to launch, get going in a fight then try to locate a target before they see you..

Too much work when you have less than an hour to play per day imo

Not interested in radar, missles and chaff which I am sure this game is great at

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 09:42:13 AM »
It's great if you want to wrestle your plane while trying not to overheat while scanning the skies for invisible cons..

Takes way too much time to launch, get going in a fight then try to locate a target before they see you..

Too much work when you have less than an hour to play per day imo

Not interested in radar, missles and chaff which I am sure this game is great at

Eagler

No disrespect Eagler but those are NOOB excuses. And you found out what flight simulation is all about it sounds like.

And no not everything is radar chaff and missiles. Yes the game is great at that aspect but it's not always what it's about.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2022, 12:10:46 PM »
No disrespect Eagler but those are NOOB excuses.

I agree with Eagler to some extent the engine failures are a curious thing to 'over-model'. In real life you'd feel vibrations, knocking, feel a roughness or hesitation on operating the throttle, all of those warning signs aren't replicated in DCS.

Look at most F1 games. They ghost out the central bar of the halo because in real life you have parallax vision. All games make concessions.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2022, 01:49:52 PM »
I agree with Eagler to some extent the engine failures are a curious thing to 'over-model'. In real life you'd feel vibrations, knocking, feel a roughness or hesitation on operating the throttle, all of those warning signs aren't replicated in DCS.

Look at most F1 games. They ghost out the central bar of the halo because in real life you have parallax vision. All games make concessions.

I believe all these kinds of things are server configurable.  Icons, engine management, hot start, easy start, ect.  Offline, I like all those complexities.  Offline I like a good study sim to dig into.  But I can also see a MP server relaxing some of that just for fun.  I don't know if there are server like that already, but one could be set up. 

I get the purity argument.  But I'm old and my eyesight is getting worse.  This argument has been going on for decades, but I still maintain that with current technology limits, not having icons available leads to less realistic outcome.  The icons make up for the fact that a young 20 yo fighter pilots eyes are just going to be a lot more capable to picking out small objects than old dudes eye looking into a lowish res Quest II.  Icons make up for the current tech limits and the fact that most of us are don't have 20 yo fighter pilot eyesight anymore.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:54:34 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2022, 06:17:22 AM »
No disrespect Eagler but those are NOOB excuses. And you found out what flight simulation is all about it sounds like.

And no not everything is radar chaff and missiles. Yes the game is great at that aspect but it's not always what it's about.

Besides messing with plane mechanics just trying to fly it, I can't see squat in 2d or vr..

Maps are about useless to me

The icons are a mess compared to AH imo

I don't feel the sense of flight I get in AH

Graphics are great but requires a more powerful box than AH does

And even with the low numbers in AH I have a much better a2a experience there than IL2 and DCS combined

Eagler

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »
Something I do in AH3.

When I'm in a 1v1 fight, I turn icons off. It's fun. When others show up I put them back on.

Try it Mikey...you might like it.  :)

You’re not talking “realism” are you?  :D

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 01:15:14 PM »

And even with the low numbers in AH I have a much better a2a experience there than IL2 and DCS combined

Eagler

You have not been in the right server. The enigma cold war server is 100 times more exciting than aces high has ever been, in any version. Flying a helo on the deck while F5's and Mirage fighters' dogfight Mig19's and Mig21's right above you is very crazy. Fighting a Mig15 in a F86 is very exciting. The same if two Me-262's were fighting each other but times 10. and you only buy the module one time with no subscription fee.

I am simply letting you all know what you're missing out on, and I might add telling you were everyone you used to game with has gone.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2022, 05:24:12 PM »
Props. Not interested in jets. Any populated servers ?
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2022, 05:59:42 PM »
Props. Not interested in jets. Any populated servers ?

Enigmas is always full and tough to get in sometimes.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2022, 11:16:09 PM »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.