Author Topic: Heat, heat and more heat  (Read 2659 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Heat, heat and more heat
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »
AZ is not "hotter" than FL, if you refer to the average annual statewide temperature.  The average long-term statewide annual temperature of AZ is 59.7°F, according to the Arizona State Climate Office.  The statewide annual average temperature of Florida was 72.5°F in 2022, according to a report from the Florida Climate Center.  (BTW that's 2.3° warmer than the long-term average from the 20th century).  Quite a bit warmer than AZ if you average temperatures over the year.

Now in terms of summertime record "hot" temperatures, no, I don't find it surprising that Arizona beats Florida.  AZ is located in the one of the Earth's global desert belts (centered around 30N and 30S latitude).  This is where most of the world's deserts occur, and where the hottest temperatures on Earth have been recorded.   FL's temperature is moderated by its proximity to ocean.

Arizona has 5 climate zones. Florida has two.

Arizona has places that get very cold. The white mountains record low -40 degrees. There are mountains and very large forests, but the average temperature of Phoenix is 73.7

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 01:49:56 PM by -gg- »
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 01:56:10 PM »
Deserts also get very cold at night because there is no cloud cover to trap the earth infrared heat.

GG is correct about high elevated mountains making it cooler in that region sorta skewing the yearly avg.

All I'm saying is that the current ideal that too much CO2 in the atmosphere is making the earth too hot and that its all because of industry, is a flawed concept.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2023, 04:33:39 PM »
Meanwhile in Phoenix:

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Our relentless heat wave continues on Monday as records continue to fall. So far, Phoenix already passed 110 degrees with a record tying high of 116, so the record streak of 110+ degree days in a row now stands at 25 days. We had a morning low of 94 degrees, making it 14 days in a row with lows of 90 degrees or above, doubling the record of a week set back in July into August of 2020.

The streak of 115 degree days in a row ended on Saturday, tying the record of 6 days set back in June of 2021. Our Excessive Heat Warning has been extended until Thursday night for Phoenix and most Southern Arizona.

Not that long ago Ice was about a mile thick there. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2023, 05:31:21 PM »
Just remember, when the ice caps melt, everything that was a body of water 10k years ago, will once again be bodies of water. Many hones and cities eill be u der water, by a lot. Happy no climate change :)
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Animl's Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2023, 06:40:17 PM »
Just remember, when the ice caps melt, everything that was a body of water 10k years ago, will once again be bodies of water. Many hones and cities eill be u der water, by a lot. Happy no climate change :)

You mean climate fluctuation?

https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/land/land.htm#:~:text=Portions%20of%20the%20Florida%20peninsula,larger%20than%20it%20is%20now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:42:02 PM by RUSH1 »
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2023, 07:40:42 PM »

The climate on this planet has always been changing ever since the planet has formed and throughout the millions of years it has been in existence. Saying man is the cause of climate change is as stupid as saying the moon is made of Limburger. Amazed how many people can be brainwashed into the wackoness. Seems to follow certain organizations also
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 08:30:10 PM »
Arizona has 5 climate zones. Florida has two.

Arizona has places that get very cold. The white mountains record low -40 degrees. There are mountains and very large forests, but the average temperature of Phoenix is 73.7
What is your point? The posts are comparing statewide average temperatures. Not breaking it down into 'climate zones'.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2023, 08:59:38 PM »
What is your point? The posts are comparing statewide average temperatures. Not breaking it down into 'climate zones'.

Well, climate zones would have an impact on statewide average temps would they not? While Oboe is correct in his statement, it is rather sorta attacking my point in a different way. AZ does get much hotter than FL, just not average throughout the year due to the mountain region. My point was that AZ gets hotter than FL because it has less compounds in the atmosphere being in a dry desert desert climate for most of the state than FL, which defeats the arguement that C02 "too many gas cars" and industry, are the cause of "climate change" making the entire world hotter. If that were the case, FL would get hotter than AZ in the summer. Im not saying his point is wrong though.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 09:05:50 PM »
Well, climate zones would have an impact on statewide average temps would they not? While Oboe is correct in his statement, it is rather sorta attacking my point in a different way. AZ does get much hotter than FL, just not average throughout the year due to the mountain region. My point was that AZ gets hotter than FL because it has less compounds in the atmosphere being in a dry desert desert climate for most of the state than FL, which defeats the arguement that C02 "too many gas cars" and industry, are the cause of "climate change" making the entire world hotter. If that were the case, FL would get hotter than AZ in the summer. Im not saying his point is wrong though.
So your initial post was an extreme generalization of:
" Based on the current understanding of "climate change" wouldn't you find it strange that AZ is hotter than FL?"

And now you are contradicting yourself saying we should be considering climate zones? I'm so confused.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2023, 09:29:58 PM »
So your initial post was an extreme generalization of:
" Based on the current understanding of "climate change" wouldn't you find it strange that AZ is hotter than FL?"

And now you are contradicting yourself saying we should be considering climate zones? I'm so confused.

Im sure you are  :rolleyes: but I had actually forgot about AZs mountainous region, so that was my bad, and would make AZ yearly cooler due to that. HOWEVER,  looking at the average temps for say Orlando vs Pheonix, which are more inline with the point I am making. You can clearly see that Pheonix has about a 10-14 degree difference in heat in the summer, which represents the climate for those regions.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2023, 09:50:17 PM »

Chuikov

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 10:23:19 PM »
The Gulf and Atlantic tend to moderate Florida in the summer months. The problem this year it’s that the UL winds are all jacked and are stuck in a May pattern. The winds 15k+ ought to be out of the east or southeast, this year it’s been trending from the west which pushes the regular summer thunderstorms to the east. Those storms on a normal year push east to west
. One thing I will say, if a tropical cyclone makes it into the eastern gulf, all hell will break loose. Current gulf sst’s could create something epic.

Chuikov

Offline RUSH1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 10:30:34 PM »
The Gulf and Atlantic tend to moderate Florida in the summer months. The problem this year it’s that the UL winds are all jacked and are stuck in a May pattern. The winds 15k+ ought to be out of the east or southeast, this year it’s been trending from the west which pushes the regular summer thunderstorms to the east. Those storms on a normal year push east to west
. One thing I will say, if a tropical cyclone makes it into the eastern gulf, all hell will break loose. Current gulf sst’s could create something epic.

We'll be fine, I promise. 
“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2023, 11:30:00 PM »
You forgot that water moderates the temperature.

CO2 in the atmosphere has doubled in the last 200 years.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2023, 12:30:56 AM »

My point is that not a lot of people realize that Arizona is not just Phoenix and the desert. There's a lot of mountains and forests which are a lot cooler than Phoenix and the deserts are.
So I think when most people say Arizona they think of Phoenix.
But yes, Arizona is going to be cooler than Florida. It's because Arizona has a lot of climatic zones that are much cooler than anywhere in Florida.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.