Author Topic: It’s Been Awhile!  (Read 996 times)

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
It’s Been Awhile!
« on: January 07, 2024, 12:46:24 AM »
I can’t wait to get back in the game! I haven’t played since 2009. Started out flying sims on The Imagination Network flying Red Barron in the early 90’s. Moved on to WarBirds and then Aces High. My game name was A8Strake when I was a member of the Aces & Eights. Anyway, I’m in the process of building my rig and getting a new joystick. The re-learning curve is going to suck but worth it in the long run! I’m going to try to get Strake as my game name. Or maybe Tazer Face.  :D And yes, I’m an old man.  :old:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:03:08 AM by Grind »
“All your base are belong to us”

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: It’s Been Awhile!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 12:50:46 AM »
Welcome back.

Wow. Seems lots of old timers are coming back. You fall and hit your head or something?

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 01:47:25 AM »
The main reason I left the game back then was that I had started playing lead guitar for a local cover band. Like playing this game, if you want to be good at it you have to play a lot. I couldn’t do both. I didn’t have the time. By the time I quit playing in the band my computer system became obsolete and other life issues got in the way. Even now I won’t be able to play 140 hours a month like I used to. But that’s ok, I just want get back in that Spit IX and have some fun.  :airplane:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 05:21:45 AM »
And...ANOTHER OG, that was before my time in here, 2013 and Before.  AWESOME NEWS!  Can't wait to see how I stack up with another Ole Timer.  We have had more than a few come home..with mixed results, in that How Do I Stack Up category.   60-40..in my favor. Although sometimes it seems 80-20..Not in my favor. Its a work in progress! :bhead   Hep me, OG! 😘 Like I tell all you fellers, "I can't expect to compete, if I never get to fight/learn from you guys.".     
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 06:22:46 AM »
Welcome back !

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 08:23:27 AM »
Welcome back we are in the same boat!

It will be a whole new game for you make sure you get familiar with everything offline.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 08:32:32 AM »
Welcome back.  Lots of fun still being had.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 09:25:49 AM »
Welcome back sir. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 09:30:01 AM »
The main reason I left the game back then was that I had started playing lead guitar for a local cover band. Like playing this game, if you want to be good at it you have to play a lot. I couldn’t do both. I didn’t have the time. By the time I quit playing in the band my computer system became obsolete and other life issues got in the way. Even now I won’t be able to play 140 hours a month like I used to. But that’s ok, I just want get back in that Spit IX and have some fun.  :airplane:

I do both, but I’m not good at either :D

Welcome back!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 03:17:42 PM »
Thanks all! I’ll do my best to get back up and running asap. Meanwhile I guess I’ll dust off my old copy of Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw and refresh my memory.  :salute

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 03:35:20 PM »
You could just get a mossie and HO em until you get the rust off.

I would always try to avoid HOs until I started flying the mossie then I'd HO anybody that looked like they might be thinking about it. I'm guessing I won 75 percent of the HOs with the mossie.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 04:44:19 PM »
Well when you do get back in game well throw you a pity party in honor of all the time you'll get shot down and sit in the tower. All in good fun, come on in the waters fine...

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 05:54:57 PM »
I’m not worried about anything. I’ll pay my dues like everyone else… it will be like “thank you sir, may I have another?”. It will be fun. I’m still waiting on computer parts and deciding which flight controls and headphones/mic set up I want to use. All I do know is nothing is as bad as it seems or as good as it seems either. Gangbanging and HOing is all part of the game. This is a pay to play deal, we don’t need to here if we don’t want to be. You won’t hear me whine. Having fun is the motivation.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2024, 07:31:05 AM »
Welcome back geezer.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2024, 08:57:50 AM »
Awesome! Welcome back.
Many of us have done the same. The returns are accelerating. Tell your friends.

First thing you’ll notice, it feels like home. You’ll know a lot of players. Second thing, the need for getting muscle memory and SA back in order.  Give it a cpl months.

Fir the most part, excluding AH3 update which made it a new game fir those who left before it, its just how ya left it.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP