Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 37647 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1245 on: April 13, 2024, 09:40:34 PM »

I guess it's time to reload the Persian Gulf map.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1246 on: April 13, 2024, 09:41:36 PM »
i only have Caucusses and Normandy loaded  up

no more sand
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1247 on: April 13, 2024, 10:11:20 PM »
Round 1

Me: 0
Ground: 1

Give it a few mins for HD to finish processing.

https://youtu.be/_4I_2lJxJb8
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1248 on: April 13, 2024, 10:27:30 PM »
Those bastards!
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1249 on: April 14, 2024, 01:00:07 AM »
Round 1

Me: 0
Ground: 1

Give it a few mins for HD to finish processing.

I typically keep it around 200kph for landing, full flaps.  And, I don't even try anything other than 3pt landings.... these birds are just stupid-sensitive.

Edit:  I looked at Chuck's chart and landing speed ranges from 159kph to 180kph depending on weight. 

Also, a thing you guys might not be aware of.  The Engine settings chart says (below 3300m) you can only run 1.4 ATA for 3min... which is not entirely accurate.  You actually can run it there for a very long time without getting anywhere near 130deg (max), even with the Rad shutters closed.  I'd noticed over time that even though I actively managed ATA & Rad Shutters, the temp gauge never budged.  Just awhile ago, I took off from Goulet, climbed to 3300m and flew to St Lo with Rad shut, 1.4/2700 all the way and the Oil Temp barely moved.

Another thing... I did some testing and found you can dive that sucker at a VERY steep angle from above 20k and be accurate with bombs.  You gotta keep the throttle off be tender with your stick, but trimmed right it'll pretty much pull itself out of the dive.  I tried it with the Jug40 & Pony, and they both broke.  NOW ya know how to escape those prowling Ponies :)

About the engine temp thing, there were arguments a couple years ago over whether or not it was a bad FM, or by the time the A8 came along the 801D-2 was that good (which included banter about the FM being "adjustable" for the forecasted F-8 model... WHICH btw, Bignewy said not long ago was still on the books.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 01:50:48 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1250 on: April 14, 2024, 09:07:22 AM »
I tried it again on a longer runway, slower and with flaps. Still bounced on me but I got it stopped on the runway.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1251 on: April 14, 2024, 11:31:07 AM »
So in short ah is about fighting and the other realistic sims are more about trying to fly and land your plane properly...

I will take fighting please  :airplane:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1252 on: April 14, 2024, 11:59:27 AM »
AH is a flying combat game and a good one. A sim, not so much. Don't imagine your AH skillz would translate to the real world in any sense but the abstract.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1253 on: April 14, 2024, 02:08:37 PM »
So in short ah is about fighting and the other realistic sims are more about trying to fly and land your plane properly...

Eagler

Nah... the other ones are more about trying to take-off, and fly, and manage your aircraft, and fight, and THEN land.  All created with an objective of replicating as realistic as possible a simulation of Combat Flight aircraft/conditions from a perspective stretching from circa 1914 through some time around the 80s/90s.  They're a more complex and require vastly more attention to detail all with significantly steep(er) learning curve.... give or take depending on which your talking about.  Most definitely less prone to Gamey McGamer & associated shenanigans.

Each have their place and nuances.  AH is still better for quickie flights, fights, & strategy regarding the big war.  That might change if either of the more modern ones ever decide to straighten out their respective comms issues, one in particular.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 02:11:40 PM by Tumor »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1254 on: April 14, 2024, 09:58:07 PM »

Eagler

It's a different animal. You show up to a furball with planes shooting everywhere. The first thing you need to do is to try to figure out who's the bad guys so you're shooting the right guy. On most servers there's no icons to be able to tell you who's who and no AWACS to show you that you're about to get bounced.

Many fly low in IL2 because you are harder to see against the ground then silhouetted against the sky and if you go really high the contrails will point you out to everyone. This will get planes higher then you vectored to your location. People don't pound their chest so much as they know there's a good chance they might get bounced their next sortie.

It has plenty of fighting but it also has many more variables and stuff that can go wrong. There's more things to keep in mind other then coolant and water temps. The aileron flutter is real and you can see it starting to happen if you look at your wings. If you dive full throttle and full prop rpm you will damage your engine at the minimum. Just a lot more complexity. If you prefer a first person shooter game with the simplicity of Doom, you probably wouldn't like it. If you're looking to experience things from a more historical perspective, you may enjoy it.

To each his own. There is no "right" answer

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1255 on: April 14, 2024, 11:16:34 PM »
It's a different animal. You show up to a furball with planes shooting everywhere. The first thing you need to do is to try to figure out who's the bad guys so you're shooting the right guy. On most servers there's no icons to be able to tell you who's who and no AWACS to show you that you're about to get bounced.

Many fly low in IL2 because you are harder to see against the ground then silhouetted against the sky and if you go really high the contrails will point you out to everyone. This will get planes higher then you vectored to your location. People don't pound their chest so much as they know there's a good chance they might get bounced their next sortie.

It has plenty of fighting but it also has many more variables and stuff that can go wrong. There's more things to keep in mind other then coolant and water temps. The aileron flutter is real and you can see it starting to happen if you look at your wings. If you dive full throttle and full prop rpm you will damage your engine at the minimum. Just a lot more complexity. If you prefer a first person shooter game with the simplicity of Doom, you probably wouldn't like it. If you're looking to experience things from a more historical perspective, you may enjoy it.

To each his own. There is no "right" answer

Do any of these servers have a scores/stats page? kills, deaths, damage done per player? Id be very interested in that kind of data.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1256 on: April 15, 2024, 01:24:48 AM »

Do any of these servers have a scores/stats page? kills, deaths, damage done per player? Id be very interested in that kind of data.
Combatbox server breaks it down to the detail of how many HE or AP rounds hit a plane. They have pilot, ironman (pilots who haven't been killed) and tankman rankings.

https://combatbox.net/en/pilots/?tour=94

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1257 on: April 15, 2024, 07:56:41 PM »

Some of the DCS servers have associated Websites and such.  I wouldn't know, score never meant beans to me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1258 on: April 15, 2024, 09:28:27 PM »
Its not so much scores Im looking at. Hit % would be good as many say hitting in these other games is much harder. K/D  and K/s is others Id like to see. Time per sortie. Do you have to fly an hour to engage?

I look for action. I CAN fly for ever, but why should I? Its why I cant stand scenarios. If I dont have action in 10 minutes Ive wasted my time.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1259 on: April 15, 2024, 10:19:37 PM »
In IL2 it depends on the server. There's lots of variables.

There are dogfight and normal servers (with icons) with air starts that during prime time you will most likely be in a fight within a minute or two tops.

There are scenario type servers where you may be chasing ghosts that are blowing up your airfields and other targets. Some of the attack guys on these servers are very good at evading, flying under the radar (if you have radar in the area) and such.

The servers are all different. Some you have to request a callsign and clearance to taxi from tower or the server will scold you. You also request clearance to land and can declare and emergency to put all the traffic on hold. Other servers you can be in visual distance of the enemy when you air spawn.