Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 29525 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1380 on: May 02, 2024, 10:27:08 AM »
AI won't whup you and then start a thread on the forum bragging about it. No ego to bruise or boost. Yet.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1381 on: May 02, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »
I tried DCS years ago, when I caught on to the pay method rip and the computer I'd need at the time,... it didn't retain my interest. I don't want to spend time in it, I want to fly and fight.

Maybe it's a good hobby for those no longer seeking adrenaline flow. Not my type of fun. I'll do me.

Not to disagree, but you might be going off of an old game play experience.  DCS multiplayer has evolved a lot in the last year or so. 

For the last couple months I have been trying out two multiplayer servers.  First, the one I thought was just okay.

The is "Project Overlord" which is a recreation of several days after D-day.  This server seems to be European based with player numbers dropping off after European prime time.  I found navigation to find the fight to be difficult as the kneeboard map depicting cities very hard to read.  Sometimes it took 10 minutes or more to fly to the action.  Once in the action, it was good.  All allied aircraft are easily identified visually due to invasion stripes.  There is no dynamic front line and you are restricted to WWII fighters, which have limited ground attack abilities.  A new player wanting to check it out would be required to buy a WWII aircraft module and the Normandy map.

The second server I have been trying is Enigmas Cold War server.  This is a dynamic campaign featuring early cold war jets (i.e. F-86, F-5, A-4E, MIGs, etc).  Even though it is jets and helicopters, most of the air to air kills are with guns and a very primitive heat seeking air to air missile.  The heat seekers are pretty easy to dodge, unless you try to disengage the fight while very close to your opponent.  The result is that the fights are knife fights.  I have been flying blue force aircraft (US), but there are counterpart Mig, Su, and red force helicopters available.

Finding the frontline is easy with a large map showing the entire terrain broken up into blue and red hexagons.  There is a messaging system that shows you were the closest five enemy aircraft are every 30 seconds.  Flying to the fight is usually under 5 minutes.

As I said this is a dynamic campaign with destruction of factories, depots, ect. moving the frontline.  End goal is to capture the enemy HQ and the campaigns usually run several days.  There are three maps that are rotated, Caucasus, Syria, and Persian Gulf.  You can fly CAP along the frontlines or do deep strikes/recon into the heart of the enemy.  While AI bombers are available, one of the main ordinance delivery methods is using the A-4E (it carries about the same bomb load as a B-17) or Su-25 red force side.  The A-4E also is a decent air to air fighter.

Helicopters allow you to carry infantry, special forces, and recon teams.  You drop them off, let them do their thing, then pick them up.  You can pickup downed pilots (both friendly and enemy) which results in lowering your sides attrition and gaining enemy position intel.  You can also load out your helicopter as a gunship and attack the enemy directly.

There is a lot of game play ability with this server and a decent number of players are on it 24/7.  In fact there are times the server has maxed out players of 60+.

To play on the Cold War server you need the following:
Base DCS program =Free
A-4E aircraft = Free
Su-25T aircraft = Free
This will allow you to try it without cost when the Caucasus map is in rotation.

If you like it, then you can buy the other maps and aircraft that interest you.

If interested, do a google search on Enigma Cold War server and you will get lots of hits for info and tutorials.  Since it is free to try out all you have to lose is a little time and some hard drive space.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1382 on: May 02, 2024, 01:06:10 PM »
Is Georgia at War still a server?   I remember flying on there, and they had RL air traffic controllers that gave you taxi instructions, and after you took off, they handed you off to a different controller so you'd have to switch radio frequencies.

I enjoyed that level of immersion.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1383 on: May 02, 2024, 01:51:48 PM »
AI won't whup you and then start a thread on the forum bragging about it. No ego to bruise or boost. Yet.

To many, thats a sad compromise. Egos can be tuned out, AI reminds of a blow up doll, it will never be the same. Again, not at all interested, and I知 not alone.
I値l play nothing before dcs. Did that for years, no hook in mouth.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 01:53:39 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1384 on: May 02, 2024, 02:28:35 PM »
Of course you can fly with and against real people in DCS. I prefer learning an aircraft against AI. DCS is not like some that anyone can jump in, take off, and starting shooting people.

And of course if you do any base attacks in AH chances are you will be flying against AI controlled anti-aircraft fire.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:30:28 PM by AKIron »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1385 on: May 02, 2024, 02:42:32 PM »
:rofl Can't argue with that

To Oboe's question....I haven't seen it  :salute
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:47:49 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1386 on: May 02, 2024, 02:48:15 PM »

:rofl Can't argue with that

AIs develop fast. Someone doing those topics in here might create one.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1387 on: May 02, 2024, 03:12:51 PM »
50% of my problem, besides AI, I got burned out on dcs here before I gave it another shot. Fried on even hearing the letters. Way overload.

I知 just not interested. Like at all. I have no craving to even try it.

The main reason I stuck with AH is multiplayer arenas, which I doubt dcs will ever have.
My whole draw was fighting humans.

I can稚 be talked into something I have no interest in. Basically, I値l prolly just evaporate like 14 yrs ago. I知 not imoressed with many I致e run a across from DCS. This here, cooked that.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1388 on: May 02, 2024, 03:17:25 PM »
I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you into playing DCS Animl. Most here have probably tried it. I played many more hours of AH in the past than I have DCS. I enjoy more modern aircraft and more realism these days. It's okay if your mileage varies.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1389 on: May 02, 2024, 03:28:26 PM »
Is Georgia at War still a server?   I remember flying on there, and they had RL air traffic controllers that gave you taxi instructions, and after you took off, they handed you off to a different controller so you'd have to switch radio frequencies.

I enjoyed that level of immersion.

There is a Hoggit server:

"Hoggit - Georgia at War"
https://atwar.online/

Hoggit also has a "Persia at War" along similar lines.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 02, 2024, 03:32:37 PM »
.....and ya gotta study.

And that's the problem. I would probably play it more if I didn't have to learn so much stuff I always forget again when taking a prolonged break  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1391 on: May 02, 2024, 03:43:28 PM »

And that's the problem. I would probably play it more if I didn't have to learn so much stuff I always forget again when taking a prolonged break  :old:

Which for the warbirds or simpler helo like the huey \ mi-8 isn't that bad.

I just jumped back in to the huey after a couple of month, no problemo.  5 min and I'm back in the saddle.  I'm going back and learning all the nav stuff.  I'd only done the FM homing.

Jumping back into the Apache would take more effort.  But that is always the trade-off.  Depth vs breadth.  I'm sure it is a lot easier jumping between stuff in WT.  The further toward the sim end of the spectrum, the more work to master multiple platforms.  It's why I am going to start being more selective on new modules I buy until I can digest a couple of the key ones I get up to speed on.  For a while I am going to concentrate on huey, mi-8,  spit IX, Dora.  That will allow me to have something I am comfortable with on either coalition on most of the servers I am interested on.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 02, 2024, 03:47:58 PM »
Which for the warbirds or simpler helo like the huey \ mi-8 isn't that bad.

I never really learned them to begin with  :D
Seriously, learning any kind of systems is like being back at school.... and having ADD, school was hell  :bhead

So I just fly around all those pretty places  :airplane:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1393 on: May 02, 2024, 03:54:16 PM »
Relatively recently I've spent much time learning the F-16. Time to move on the F-18. How different can it be right? Mucho.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1394 on: May 02, 2024, 04:00:31 PM »
So I just fly around all those pretty places  :airplane:

I do that too. 

I had been having fun just planning cross-country day trips across southern England.  Taking the spit, learning cold start, taxi take off, map nav no cheating.  Pattern, land, eat a cheese burger at base-ops bar and grill, fly home and land, taxi, parkit.  ;)   Sometimes a jaunt across the channel for lunch in Calais. ;)

Normandy 2 is a beuatiful map.