Author Topic: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain  (Read 2388 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Puma44 Please Help This F4 Manual is Overloading My Brain
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2024, 01:08:09 PM »
Well, as a mission ready F-106 pilot in the day, and qualified via the Nuclear Surety Program, I’ll take exception to your statement.  There were endless, stringent fail safes, involved before even taking off with the Genie.  It was carried internally.  Therefore, it couldn’t “fall off” the aircraft.  We were dead serious about carrying and employing the “Great White Hope” against Russian bomber formations coming over the polar cap to bomb our cities and bases (with our families there).  We were the last line of defense.

If I remember correctly, the North Carolina incident involved a B-52 and tanker midair, in flight breakup, and the B-52’s internally carried nuke(s) falling out of the wreckage.  I’m sure someone will quickly chime in the the particulars here. 

Point being, you’re comparing apples to lug nuts with a dose of imagination thrown in.

No. I'm stating my opinion. It's like nuclear power. I love nuclear power, as long as the reactor is a few hundred miles away from me. If you wanted to build one in my back yard, I wouldn't care how many fail safes there were, I wouldn't want it in my back yard. My opinion about flying around with a plane carrying a nuclear rocket is the same. Like I said it is my opinion. You have yours, I have mine :)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2024, 02:17:44 PM »
No ginormous blast or mushroom cloud in DCS but the damage radius is yuge. You have to get a radar lock before firing it.

The Genie required a radar lock because it was an aimed weapon, not guided.  Akin to a giant bottle rocket with a nuke.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2024, 09:12:29 PM »
Well, as a mission ready F-106 pilot in the day, and qualified via the Nuclear Surety Program...

Oh lawdy, haven't heard "Nuke Surety Program" in a long, long time.  That with PRP, oh, and SAC, was the bane of my existence for over a decade.  Oh how I hated that stuff.  Ya I know, gotta have it, etc... but man.  As a junior peon enlisted guy, the suckage brought on by that stuff was unreal.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2024, 09:56:43 PM »
Oh lawdy, haven't heard "Nuke Surety Program" in a long, long time.  That with PRP, oh, and SAC, was the bane of my existence for over a decade.  Oh how I hated that stuff.  Ya I know, gotta have it, etc... but man.  As a junior peon enlisted guy, the suckage brought on by that stuff was unreal.

:rofl We were a “tenant unit” on a SAC base.  They pretty much hated us with gusto, especially when blowing by their Buff & Tanker alert pads in full AB……setting off their proximity alarms, which had all the COPS piling out of their shelters. :bolt:

Had SAC missle guy next door.  Really felt bad for him.  They abused him like a rented mule.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2024, 06:37:43 AM »
Thanks for the tips Puma, Much appreciated sir! <S>

We have a young man in our group who is active duty Air Force who got the re-fuel attempt his first try.

Tumor got it his first try at well but has to have the attitude hold set up i believe he was sayin.

https://youtu.be/1nvoSfZaZsw
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2024, 09:21:40 AM »
We have a young man in our group who is active duty Air Force who got the re-fuel attempt his first try.

Tumor got it his first try at well but has to have the attitude hold set up i believe he was sayin.

Go Air Force!
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2024, 01:05:18 PM »
:rofl We were a “tenant unit” on a SAC base.  They pretty much hated us with gusto, especially when blowing by their Buff & Tanker alert pads in full AB……setting off their proximity alarms, which had all the COPS piling out of their shelters. :bolt:

Had SAC missle guy next door.  Really felt bad for him.  They abused him like a rented mule.

Ya.  That's SAC, nobody was safe... you got abused.   That's why Lemay's approach was so devastating to our enemies, he was jealous he wasn't the meanest bastard on the block.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2024, 01:08:39 PM »

First try in the F4... 2nd try in the whole freekin game. But I only connected for a couple seconds. The Virple stick made it much smoother though.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2024, 01:49:31 PM »
Great job. Easier to connect with the boom than the basket but harder to stay connected with the boom, imo. It's still very hard to do for both. Even harder for the non fly-by-wire.

For the guy who can air refuel inverted, try that in an F-16.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 01:51:11 PM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2024, 02:58:16 PM »
I was able to connect but not stay connected long. Seat adjustment didn't help me see the positioning lights near the nose of the tanker. Don't really need them with Jesters help I think. BTW there's no collision detection between the boom/basket and the aircraft but between the airplanes themselves a slight bump is usually calamitous.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 03:05:17 PM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2024, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2024, 05:29:07 PM »
I enlisted in August of '73. The handwriting was on the wall. Our part in that war was coming to an end. Violations of 35-10 standards had been mostly ignored in Southeast Asia. As the troops came home grooming standards became more rigidly enforced. Drug sniffing dogs more frequently patrolled the halls of the dorms with Skynyrd booming behind every other door. All of that faded. That the killing and dying came to an end was good. Shortening mustaches, not so much.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 05:32:32 PM by AKIron »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2024, 10:15:58 AM »
Translating the F4 manual to real time setup and usage can be a quest sometimes.

I finally got it done though and I am able to track/lock targets from the WSO seat now. Just as long as the dude up front has the right armament selected.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2024, 10:24:23 AM »
Translating the F4 manual to real time setup and usage can be a quest sometimes.

I finally got it done though and I am able to track/lock targets from the WSO seat now. Just as long as the dude up front has the right armament selected.

Is the manual setup like a NATOPS manual or is it like a manual to a complex game?

From one of the videos I watched it sounds like Jester needs to ST*U. Sounds like he's constantly blabbing.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2024, 11:12:23 AM »
From the Jester menu you can adjust his verbosity.