Author Topic: Looks like I知 in the toejam with HTC  (Read 666 times)

Offline pbirmingham

• Copper Member
      • http://bigscary.com
Looks like I知 in the toejam with HTC
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2002, 03:22:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I noted that HTC does not have a minimum age requirement for flying the sim online.

So, my 5 year old is up quite often.  

And he probably shoots me down all the time just like everybody else does...

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2002, 03:47:44 PM »
In my squad we use our squad channel and say whatever we please. On the private channel in countries, I can still read what someone is saying/typing. I guess AH can "hear" those things and wish to govern certain words. Hell, I have used cautious spelling of words so as not to get "yelled at" by AH and have gotten the warning anyway. Yet, I see "chit" over all country channels and it gets by. I guess I'm unclear about which words are taboo and which aren't.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2002, 04:19:18 PM »
two points...

the profanity filter is ok.  Any child can get online and we need to respect their parents wishes.

America is full of contridictions and in general are an uptight bunch with regards to sexuality, profanity, etc.
Not all... but in general this is very true.

Offline blutic

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2002, 05:21:42 PM »
Words only have the power that you give to them.
The real pilots and crews of WWII were about to die. They could not reup in  20 seconds. I think that if they could most of these gentlemen would refrain from using profanity.
My father taught me, small men use four letter words to make themselves appear large before themselves. Before everyone else they are ignorant, and small.
Just my 2 cents
Blutik

BTW: AH is a private company and I don't think it has anything to do with American censorship, or has to abide by the censorship rules of the American Media.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.優wight Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2002, 06:41:52 PM »
The ironic part is that even though the profanity filter is there, people still use profanities on ch1 daily. They just say you fuggen nigga or eat shiz you g@y.. Everyone gets the message even though a couple letters have been changed. So in the end, the profanity filter only stops those who write it spontaniously without thinking they might be punished for it. The professinal profanity spewers just use ways to get around it.

As what comes to the censorship, I agree with above.. It's really weird to me to delete all profanities etc. from tv, radio, games etc..

That's not going to remove bad things from life nor will it protect your children, they'll learn it from other places with absolute certainty. In america it's allowed to show a womans bust as long as there is no trace of nipple visible.. Could someone wiser now explain to me what ON EARTH is so offensive in a womans nipple?? We were all sucking those during childhood. I'm still doing so every time I get the opportunity ;)

It seems so futile and crazy to see music videos for example with a guy showing the camera the finger - only that the finger has been censored away by digital blocks.. Or a woman dancing on her underwear, everything is fine untill she bends down to a raunchy position - enter the digital blocks again.. LOL. Everyone watching knows exactly what's behind those blocks. Everyone also knows there's nothing bad or immoral in seeing those things.. Still theyre censored. And I'm left dumbfounded.

Offline ljkdern

• Zinc Member
      • luftjagerkorps.com
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2002, 12:15:51 AM »
So, Westy, what we are talking about is rudeness (profanity really isnt the issue here) . And the only way we can keep people from being rude is by coming up with a list of words people cant say? I read the definition of "disdain" and found that it didnt necessarily support your argument.

I think theres a lot more important things going on in our world to be worrying about which words people are using.

I swore (pun intended) I would never get mixed up in one of these.....but what the heck.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2002, 12:33:50 AM by ljkdern »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2002, 03:07:41 AM »
The important thing here is not what we as individuals believe is right or wrong, but what the majority wants. I said I would abide by the majority decision and I will. It's a matter of respect. Most people don't want to see some words, or variations on their spelling, so we should all refrain from using them. So be it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2002, 07:39:24 AM »
Hey SCRMBL, forgot to say Welcome!  Stick around for a month before you make a decision whether to stay or not, AH has a steeper learning curve than WB's does.

Ripsnort (rip1 from CK-WB- .82-WB's 2.76)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2002, 08:00:35 AM »
"... the only way we can keep people from being rude is by coming up with a list of words people cant say?"

Not us. Hell no. It's next to impossible to change rude people into  nice neighbors. However this is HTC's business and what they allow or not to be used online is what counts. Not what you or I personally think is ok or not.  We, the players from al over the world, would never reach a consensus anyway on what was allowable and what isn't.

Social behavior in a restaraunt or movie theatre is very much akin to what one would see in any online entertainment venue . If the management of any of those should allow loud, boisterous, insulting and uncouth behavior to be the norm then that place will end up attracting (and retaining) a predominately loud, boisterous, insulting and uncouth clientelle.  People who want a more mature and adultlike atmosphere will find one or jump ship in a heart beat when one comes along.

Westy