Author Topic: Looks like I’m in the toejam with HTC  (Read 665 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Looks like I’m in the toejam with HTC
« on: January 15, 2002, 05:13:31 AM »
I joined PHARO, who was flying a B17 in order to man his guns. He dropped ord, but shortly afterwards a P47 dived in on us. Despite my best efforts from the top gunner position which resulted in the P47 trailing black smoke, we were hit and had to bail. On the way down, on private channel, I said to Pharo something like ”Shit, that P47 came in so fast”, and I got the profanity pop-up box, warning me that profanity may result in loss of radio communication privileges

Am I alone in thinking this is a bit over the top? Did you know that according to cockpit voice recorders, the most commonly spoken last word before a fatal crash is ”Shit”? Even the KLM pilot in the Tenerife air disaster many years ago (573 dead) said ”Oh toejam” moments before the disaster, and English was probably not have been his first language. So, in our never ending quest for realism, we should be allowed to say “Shit” as we go down ;)

I know it can be annoying, even offensive to some to see certain expletives, but I thought that was why we have a .squelch command. After all, profanity is not the only crap (oops) we want to filter out. Now PLEASE don't come up with that old chestnut about profanity needing to be filtered because your 7 year old child might be at the screen playing, or watching you play. That is the most unoriginal argument against profanity I have ever heard.

I know that in the sanitised United States, such words are not allowed on TV. On European TV I have heard toejam, f*ck, and on channel 4 I’ve even heard cu*t. It doesn’t mean anything. I just hate being monitored by the AH profanity police, but that’s OK. For those words with a u in them, I can substitute a ü –hehe, wonder if this will be included in 1.09 profanity checks.

Now here’s something to amuse the Brits.  I was in San Francisco one time, and watching TV on which the Michael Caine movie “Get Carter” was being screened. I had seen this before, and there was one passage that is full of f*ck and toejam… Suddenly Eric (played by Ian Hendry) turns to Carter (M Caine) and says ”Bollocks!” I was so surprised that they had left this in. And then I remembered that the word “bollocks” is (or was) meaningless in America – LOL – I was grinning about that all evening :D

Please vote in my poll. I will abide by the majority decision.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2002, 05:19:06 AM by beet1e »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2002, 05:29:41 AM »
You lost a 1 fighter vs. buff  fight AND bailed?

I vote you suck, and complain as effective.

Offline Li`l Snorkey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2002, 05:47:51 AM »
merde....

:D

Li`l Snorkey

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2002, 06:32:29 AM »
There's a feature in this software that's local to your PC and filters out a selected list of curse words. The only policing being done was by your own CPU.
-SW

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2002, 07:14:24 AM »
I don't think any real life pilot ever took the time to type "shit" while going down with his airplane.  You wanna say toejam, great, have at it.  Some people just don't wanna see you type it...what's the difference?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2002, 07:23:04 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
You wanna say toejam, great, have at it.  Some people just don't wanna see you type it...what's the difference?

I never understood the American fear of 'bad' words.

A couple of nights back I watched an interview with Mark Hamill on TV.

Hamill: "...so I did it because I didn't want to pi... to tick George Lucas off."

TV Woman: "This is Dutch television"

Hamill: "Oh, ok. I didnt want to piss Geoge Lucas off."

I thought.... my god.... they are so scared of being jumped on when they say a 'wrong' word... land of the free.... yeah right.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2002, 07:27:52 AM »
Hey Keez, we can say anything we want on television but standard aired channels are reserved to a select few words because children typically have access to those channels.

South Park recently aired an episode in which they said "Shit" over a hundred times. They say bellybutton and squeak all of the time.

Oh, and comparing the Dutch TV to ours... hah! Atleast we have good TV shows!
-SW

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2002, 07:29:16 AM »
Originally posted by Stain
Oh, and comparing the Dutch TV to ours... hah! Atleast we have good TV shows!
-SW

Oh yeah well we get Jerry Springer too :rolleyes:

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2002, 07:32:47 AM »
There's a big difference between day television and evening television- well atleast here. We get the Simpsons, Seinfeld, King of the Hill, That 70's Show, Family Guy, etc- they all come on in the evening.

Those shows, like Jerry Springer, Oprah, whoever-that-fat-white-squeak-is, and other assorted crap shows, appeal to the unemployed wellfare sucking trash that have 8 kids running around crapping and peeing themselves. That's why the come on during the day, everyone else is at work (with exception to the guys doing the graveyard shift).
-SW

Offline Keez

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2002, 07:44:27 AM »
Originally posted by Stain
Those shows, like Jerry Springer, Oprah, whoever-that-fat-white-squeak-is, and other assorted crap shows, appeal to the unemployed wellfare sucking trash that have 8 kids running around crapping and peeing themselves. That's why the come on during the day, everyone else is at work (with exception to the guys doing the graveyard shift).
-SW

They show that in the evenings here... what does that tell about us :D

(they show the simpsons, king of the hill , seinfeld, stargate, and all the other good shows in the evening here too ;) )

How did we get on this topic? Oh yeah. Death to censorship! :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2002, 07:51:45 AM »
BUT, the question is do you LIKE those(Jerry, Oprah, etc) shows? Or do you just laugh at how absurdly rediculously foolish the people that come on those shows are? Atleast with Jerry Springer it's comedy, those other talk shows..

We have a lot of parents who might have kids watching them play AH, and this is for fun- not exactly fun watching some maroon curse up a storm because he suxx0rs at flyte ga/\/\3z.

If you MUST curse into the comms box, start your own squad. You can curse until your fingers bleed... but you will probably only get the l33t d3\/\/dz with a limited vocab to fly with you. "You fuxx0r suxx0r d3\/\/d!" "N0 I d0n't, y0u fuxx0r!"

Crap like that, just not something I like to see after I shoot their tarded bellybutton outta the sky.
-SW

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2002, 08:31:35 AM »
"I will abide by the majority decision."

Well, actually?  You'll abide by whatever rules and behavior that HTC wants to allow or not. If you don't then I'm sure there is somewhere that will let you do and say just whatever it is you want to. Quite simple really when you think about it.

Westy

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2002, 08:36:25 AM »
SOB has point. You don't.

Type the diffrence and repeat after me.

"Whine to Yourself. Send that broke Dick turd Animal Money"'.

Deduct it from your taxes for the United Nigro Fund.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2002, 08:48:03 AM »
american censorship is very odd to say the least.

they allow horrible voilent acts to be whitnessed hourly on TV, actualy not only allow this but more like push it on you.  Its what they use to sell there "news" station to you.

using "strong" words is very bad, you should not fully express your emotions.

Somehting as natural as sex/nudity is total taboo, it should not be seen on TV, not even at 2am when your "kiddies" are sleeping (which is who the christians want to hide it from).

now given that the majority of the people in this country are so easily controled and influenced buy media, what they are producing is phsycotic(sp) sex offenders. our country is full of sicks bastards like this.

as far as the profamity filter is concerned.. its typical. Would be nice with it off.

"land of the free, who ever told you that is your enemy"

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2002, 08:57:45 AM »
"american censorship is very odd to say the least."

But you're not being censored.  For simply load up RW or AHVoice and give whoever it is you feel this dire need to communicate vulgarity and swears to an ear full.  No one is stopping you from doing that.  AND! On top of it that's more realistic too! For no pilot in WWII held up a carboard placard with the written words "SHIT! he shot me down!" as his burning plane plunged earthward.

Get over it.

Westy