Author Topic: Very disturbing premonition by community comes true!  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Very disturbing premonition by community comes true!
« on: March 09, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
The perk system, from a stand point of a few I spoke with online, looks like it WILL work!

I had 3 perk sorties last night, in 2 of the 3, I chose not to mix it up with low cons due to the fact that I felt a 2 kill sortie and LIVING was a "sufficient" success and rather than piss away 70 points, I chose to land the bird and get a non-perk plane instead.  

Others I spoke with were curious, and also flew perkies last night, but felt that it was like driving a Porche in rush hour traffic, better to store it for another day, than fly it every sortie!  

I have the perk points (roughly 1600 total) to 'waste' about 17 or 18, but why should I?  All the other A/C can dang near do the same job as the perkies can!

<S> to HT and this (IMO) brilliant feature, instead of a stupid medal for a 5-kill sortie, I get a "medal" I can fly if I wish to!

Remember, just about every computer game is about 'reward systems'...HTC has brilliantly implemented theirs!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-09-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
I think part of the reason is so few of the planes are perked. ALot of folsk though the 190-D9 and the LA-7 would be too.

But so far. All is still normal   But there are some damned potent planes flying around. Hard to tell a 190-D9 from a 190-A8 till you're face to face now. Same with the P-51's

I only managed to grab a Tempest last night, pointed the nose at a low alt furball and ....... my 4 yr old woke up. Had to land it before using it. I think I lost 70 perkies. <shrug> No biggy  

-Westy

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
Agreed Ripsnort.

Yes, there were a few perk rides cruising the skies last night... but amazingly few considering they are all new planes!  Normally the skies would be filled with them.  Perks are already showing how they can balance the arena effectively.  I'm sure HTC will tune the system as time goes on, but the initial indication is very positive IMHO.

Big Kudos to HiTech, Pyro, Natedog, Superfly, Ronni, and Yankee.  You guys rock!

BTW Westy, as long as you safely landed that Perk ride, it's still waiting in the hangar for you.  You can fly it until you break it.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 03-09-2001).]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Day one appeared ok. Let's bump this in a week.  

Not a naysayer, just saying drawing conclusions after one day is a bit dangerous.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Well, I consider even last night an extreme aberration. Alot of people have a huge pool of perk points built up over the past two months to blow with little to no care. Especially the "perk farmers" who spent all their time strafing barracks till that bug was fixed.

*cough* Ripsnort *cough*  

I saw ALOT of Tempests and Ta152's die last night.

So once that huge pool of available points are burned, these birds will truely be a rare sight.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
How are the perk ratios, how much its needed to fly those perkies? (I know that Ar234 takes 70 pts.. thats only one)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »
Verm, attacked barracks once in 2 months.  

Hint: MAG-33 is a ground attack unit primarily, thus, perkies rack up for those who are not full time furballers.  Just ask Blitz, 3000 perkies!  All he does is attack airfields!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 03-09-2001).]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
Having high performance planes around, being driven by people who will engage only with a clear advantage, isn't MY idea of fun.  But, I'm willing to give it some time to see how the dust settles....
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2001, 08:20:00 AM »

Originally posted by popeye:
Having high performance planes around, being driven by people who will engage only with a clear advantage, isn't MY idea of fun.  .

Interesting enough, every Perky I met at alt decided to break off once I brought the fight down in altitude.  Like HT said at the con "They will have to decide whether to risk the points and lose the plane by gambling, or simply turn and fight with it another day...imagine when two co-alt perk planes meet, this is where some major decisions will have to be made..."

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
"every Perky I met at alt decided to break off once I brought the fight down in altitude"

Exactly.  <yawn>
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
I saw perk planes in lots of fuballs. I think I saw a ta152 strafing ack at a field....
Perk system first day is certainly not breaking anything. Lots of Nikis still out there...

Offline Servo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Not me. I shot down 2 perks last night, one Ta152, and a Tempest. They had absolutely no fear of engaging and it was a real joy to put them out 50-70 points.  

Especially fun was the Tempest who I knocked out with a HO. Nary a scratch on me.

I had a blast last night! So far, 1.06 is exactly what I was hoping for.

Servo
**MOL**

lazs

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
gotta agree with pop and it wasn't just the perk rides.  the whole arena has shifted to high speed timidity.  when there were 200 up there was some good action but it turned to "climb and run" again at 166.   every spit in the arena was ded meat.   I was flying the only D hog I seen.   Seen more 202's.   As the numbers go down (newness wears off) we will have an even more restricted plane set and a ridgid "styles".

I also don't see how anyone has "earned" the right to kill new guys from the safety of a perk ride.

My take is this... we now have a mid and a late war set.   If we put em all in the same arena most will be useless.   Why not just make the last week late war and do away with the idiotic perk system?
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
Servo, shows you alittle about how some 'spend money' and some don't!  So far, it appears that the fears of "Perkies High" is not coming true, but I digress to Kieren's post.

Offline Skysix1

• Zinc Member
      • http://sky610.tripod.com/skyssite/
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2001, 09:04:00 AM »
I am at work 50 - 60 hours a week and will rarely get more than a handful of hours a week to fly between my work and wife and kid.  I paid my $30.00 a and I want to fly the Arado.  If I cant fly it in main arena my $30.00 will go elsewhere.

Please forgive me for not being able to live in AH.  Maybe make a new arena with all the so called "super plane" everyone cries about.

H2H is ok but with 8 people there is really no fun unless it is a group of friends.

------------------
Chuck Perry   
"Sky61"