Author Topic: A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline TAILGUNNR

• Zinc Member
A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2003, 10:34:11 PM »
bump

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2003, 11:43:29 PM »

All 109s are best flown as Energy fighters - using its high climb rate to dictate the engagement. Normal Boom & Zoom tactics with very high speed passes do not suit the 109's style. It is better suited to the style of energy combat where the main objective is to set up a moderate altitude advantage right over or near the target. Then use short sprint dives with moderate closure rates for gun passes. The 109 can then climb back out and loop or climb away as necessary.

My squad primarily flies the 109g6. Its not a BnZ plane. Like all 109s it has decent climb and great rudder authority. It has a decent instanious turn rate that added with some rudder can allow toget inside a breaking plane for quick shot. Its important to land these shots though or if you miss and overshoot you will wind up dead.

All 109's, regardless of version, share numerous traits:

Excellent climb rate
Good rudder response
Excellent performance between 12 and 22k
Above average low speed handling
Good negative-G handling
Good Acceleration
Below Average visibility from the cockpit
Not particularly "new pilot friendly"
Moderate to low ammunition supply
Heavy Controls above 640km/h
Mediocre durability

The 109-G6 is a mediocre fighter at best. At the hands of an experienced pilot it can hold its own. The 109G-6 is not going to compete with the Spitfire at low altitude and will get plum ate up in a stallfight. The G6 still retains two of the biggest strengths of all the 109's - its climb rate and its service ceiling. These traits alone have limited utility in the main arena, but is very useful in events and scenarios. The G6 can climb fairly well, but not nearly as well as the 109g10. The g2 is slightly faster and climbs a bit better. What the g6 gives you over the g2 is the mk 108 3cm cannon. This cannon alone is enough to pick the g6 over the g2.

You want to stick to energy fighting in the g6. Dogfighting will get you killed quick. Of all the 109s the g6 really needs to be flown with a wingman. The 109-G6 pilot has to choose his engagements carefully, and watch his energy level carefully when confronting planes of superior performance. The 109-G6 can use its one great asset - climb rate. Use the your climb rate not only to outmaneuver other planes in combat, but also to elude other planes when necessary.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2003, 09:13:32 AM »
Sorry, just punting this for easier reference.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2003, 08:12:17 PM »
Terrific thread.  How many kills can the best achieve with these LW rides in one sortie without rearming?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2003, 02:22:44 PM »
Originally posted by Halo
Terrific thread.  How many kills can the best achieve with these LW rides in one sortie without rearming?

My best is 4 kills in a 109F4 with gondolas, and I still had ammo.  I was rtb'ing because I was low on gas and got run down from behind by a Typhoon.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Punting a great thread for the newbies
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2003, 05:51:56 PM »
Punting this great thread for the Newbies.

Offline Wespe

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.communityac.com
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2003, 09:35:38 PM »
Originally posted by NHattila
yeah, most LW planes stand no chance against a tiffy, though i have been jumped by mandoble more than once......
i have never flown LW planes in my 18 month stint in AH, but i do know they make nice targets :)

Coincidently thats exactly how  we feel vs  tiffies and allies planes  :) :) :) :) ... they dont stand a little chance against us!!! :rofl

Good luck !!!  Wespe

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2004, 12:18:34 AM »

Even after two years this thread is a great refresher.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2004, 03:37:09 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
I just want to point out that E-fighting is more than just Boom N Zoom.  All air combat is E-fighting really, but we often use the term to refer to styles of air combat that rely on energy more than turning performance to get the job done.  That's a far cry from simple Boom N Zoom from a position of advantage.  While it's true than BnZ from an advantage is likely the safest way to get kills, it can get a bit boring.  Proper E-fighting, what I call E Kinfe Fighting, is more exciting and more fun.  It's not as safe, but being able to truly E fight in close is what makes an Ace in my book.  Always E fight... but you don't have to BnZ to do it. :)

Yes, BnZ is just an example of an Energy Fighting tactic, "roping" is another pure Energy Fighting tactic. Energy Fighting is generally considered the opposite of angles fighting. The point of Energy Fighting is to employ manuevers that act to conserve your E state while at the same time bleeding the enemy of his E, but not necessarily provide you with an 'immediate' gunnery solution. The end result of most engagements of this sort is the person with the least E is unable to deny the person with the greater E a gunnery solution. Evasives and counter-moves require E. I'm sure most can relate to the feeling of being left 'hanging' in air while your opponent, with now superior E, comes around to pick you helplessly out of the sky.

Angles fighting, on the other hand, seeks to gain lead on an enemy in order to have an 'angle' for a shot irrespective of the energy lost in doing so. Often, in AW especially, I remember pilots such as Subby that would immediately get her P38 as slow as possible, blowing most of her E and dropping flaps so she could whip around inside your manuever for an immediate lead angle and a shot. This is a very good example of 'angles' fighting, the sacrafice of energy for angle.

Obviously, some planes are better suited to one style or the other. I would not want to 'angles' fight in a Fw190-A8 in most situations. Similiarly, I would probably not want to Energy Fight, in the classic sense, in a Hurricane. But, there are alot of aircraft that are conducive to either style or a mix of the two, like the P38, F6F, SpitIX, most of the 109s and the Russian sub-setof planes. If I were learning Air Combat Sims for the first time, I would probably choose a plane that could swing both ways so as to learn both styles at once with minimal frustration of having to understand the nuances of more than one aircraft initially. In reality, the difference between the two styles is largely semantic, the line between the two blurs during typical engagements.

Zazen
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:24:51 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13

Angles fighting, on the other hand, seeks to gain lead on an enemy in order to have an 'angle' for a shot irrespective of the energy lost in doing so. Often, in AW especially, I remember pilots such as Subby that would immediately get her P38 as slow as possible, blowing most of her E and dropping flaps so she could whip around inside your manuever for an immediate lead angle and a shot. This is a very good example of 'angles' fighting, the sacrafice of energy for angle.

Zazen

Actually, of the LW planes the 190A5/A8 are the best for that particular type of angles fighting.  The 109's don't have enough firepower to score a kill reliably after you've dumped off all of your energy getting in position.  

When I fly a 190, I'm typically doing the above.  If I'm fighting vs a Spit, I can usually determine after the first merge whether or not I'll have a shot by the second.  If the answer is yes, I'm dumping speed as fast as I can, if not I'm diving to set up for a re-merge once I get about 1-1.2K of seperation.  When you fly that way in the 190 though, you always have to be sure to go nose to nose with your opponent (i.e., let your opponent 'cross your tail' at the merge, or turn AWAY from him while he turns into you, or vice versa).  This is because a 190 doing 250 mph will have a smaller turning circle than a Spit doing 350, but it will still take longer to get around that circle, so you have to let the Spit do the work for you and fly in front of you.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2004, 08:24:37 PM »
figured this could use a punt, and maybe an AHII update.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2004, 05:26:20 PM »
Yes, an AH2 update would be nice. And an inclusion of the 109E!!!

In AH2 I've gotten at least 3 streaks of  2-kills in the 109E (realistic ammo, 1.x fuel burn). Downing a 109G-x and among other things wounding a temp.

The 109E is not "out of the fight" just because others fly spits and whatnot. I've downed spit I's, V's, and XIVs in the 109E in various AH2 situations (HTH mostly, varying arena settings)

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2004, 02:17:19 AM »
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Why you 2 (Urchin and Wotan) hold this kinda of info from your squadmates:p

Good stuff fellas S! :D

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2004, 02:18:12 AM »
BTW