Author Topic: A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Re: A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2002, 06:58:46 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin

OK, well, I am tired of typing.  I'll cover the A8 and the rest of the 109s a little later, after my fingers have rested.

bla bla Urchin

i dont belive you ... you werent tired... i think that you should speak about fight versus Yak, Tiffie in 190 and we both know, that 190 is dead meal :D  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
A 'Primer' for new LW pilots.
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2002, 08:14:55 AM »
good stuff

thanks
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2002, 07:55:03 AM »
This thread has been more informative than anything else I have tried including personal training in the TA... with squaddies..

Prior to this thread I never really messed with the 109.
Then when the Sicily Scenario came around I was assigned a 109g2... I thought I was doomed... lol

I now fly the 109g6 in the MA a whole lot...
I am beginning to love that plane...  The 109g6 is a great Pony (P51) Killer...  I have had some really great fights one on one against ponies and other 109's

This has added a dimension to the game that I never could really enjoy before.  I am still addicted to my P-38 but flying the 109 has really aided my flying ability when I am in my P-38 also...

Great stuff in this thread...  Keep it coming Gents...

Salute

BOOT

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
109ers and 190s
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2002, 04:30:46 PM »
I just started flying the 109G2 as a diversion from my usual 190A5/D9. The 109G2 seems to be the epitaph of 109s: better speed than the earlier versions, yet it still can hold it's own in an angles fight. The G2 also seems  to compress later than the later 109ers.

About the snapshots: I find myself in the following scenario often: You're approaching an enemy at high closure, and just as you switch to lead pursuit for aiming, he pulls a tighter turn than you can muster. Then, trying to put my nose into his flight path in a blackout hi-jojo, I'll fire a burst that normally produces some hits. This will be my last tur before going vertical for another approach.

The best method for obtaing a good sapshot for me is aimiig ahead of the target at a distace of about 500 yards.

Alsp keep in mind the time of flight of the bullets: 500 yards will take a MG 151/20 about .75 seconds to reach... but even at it's rather slow muzzle velocity, it'll shreck up an opponent real good :)

Offline 1MIG

• Zinc Member
Ditto on the thread
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2002, 10:27:30 PM »
:D
I am still trying to learn... this has been great guys. Thanks and cudo's to those of you that take the time to share with us fluff'n dweebs ( actually I dream of getting achieving fluff'n dweeb status. It would be better than where I am)

Cyas up..... I ain't giving up yet..... coming to the CON. hope to see you there.

Offline Esme

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2002, 08:23:14 AM »
Only comments I'd add, as someone who is NOT a great killer (I'm not a good shot) but that can handle the planes fairly well are..

1. Since coming to Aces High, I've seen a LOT of attempted HO attacks when flying fighters. People literally just pointing their plane at me as if just doing that will nail me.  WRONG. You'll have to ask one of the better fighter pilots that is also good at explaining these things, but even if you have alt advantage, then if I see you coming it's no great trick to either (a) point my nose at you so we HO each other - which makes things no more skilful than Russia Roulette or (b) (my preference) to side-step your attack and turn one way or another so that I have a fair chance of ending up on your tail, or at least, in not quite so bad a situation a I was before you tried to bounce me.

You need to think ahead a bit, think the angles, and get where you can shoot at me but I cannot shoot at you - on my tail or beam, or belly.  And decide whether you're going to lead me to take a shot at me or trail me to try to get right on my 6.

2. Strangely, cosidering the amount of HO'ing I've encountered whilst in fighters, I've seen almost none when flying a bomber.  The best place to attack most bombers from is from slightly high 12 - and that includes Ju88s. Attack me from my 6, and I'll throw my Ju88 around whilst blasting you with everything I've got - and I can handle a bit of damage better than you can.  Exceptions are known blind spots - like underneath a Lancaster - and the more agile US bombers with heavy frontal  armament (B26).  Takes a long time to overtake a bomber to get into position for a HO or front quarter pass? Yes, it can, but you're more likely to survive the encounter and land those perk points, too.

3. E-fighting might get boring, but you have to decide what kind of flying you want to be  good at. If you want to fly in as realistic a maner as possible, then flying to survive is more important than flying to get kills. If you lve long enough you'll get kills now and then anyway.  If all you are interested in is killing as many foe as possible irrespective of what happens to yourself, then you might as well get stuck in no matter what and HO at every opportunity.  Even Saburo Sakai, the Japanese ace who flew mostly A6M's said that managing your energy state is important even in an A6M - that stuff isn't just for late-war uber-rides.

4. Teamwork.  Working well as a team makes a bunch of pilots considerably more dangerous to the foe than is the case if theyre all lone-wolfing it.  Join a unit that like to fly a a team and that practices it.

Finally, some of us just have to accept that we won't ever be great virtual fighter pilots.  The trick then is to work out how you can be most help to your chums in a fight. Once I accepted that my role within any bunch of fighters is generally to be one of the ones that ties up one or more enemy long enough that one of my chums can shoot them off my tail (rest of the time I just try scaring folk off of friendly tails), I started feeling less frustrated with my inability to get kills very often.  I know I've gotten about as good as I'm ever likely to get in fighters. Nowadays I tend to fly fighters as a bit of relaxation from the perils of flying bombers...  :-}

But if you've got what it takes to become more than mediocre, and can put in the time to study and practice to get better at using fighters, then good luck (unless you're sneaking up on a Ju88 that is ;-) )!

Esme

Offline 1MIG

• Zinc Member
yeppers
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2002, 07:45:31 PM »
Nicely said!

It's funny that some can fly like the wind and do very well in the game, some kill fer points, others fly to not die, some assist squads, re-supply, and do lowly goonin.., others fly like they playing gameboy..lol.
I like to keep learning the game, flying with squaddies, and listening to the pros that are successful with flying well. To those that fly, get kills on ya with good moves and then take a second to help an aces-wanna-be like me.
Looking forward to going to the Dallas Con. Place a face with the moniker.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2002, 08:48:51 AM »
Originally posted by Esme

3. E-fighting might get boring, but you have to decide what kind of flying you want to be  good at. If you want to fly in as realistic a maner as possible, then flying to survive is more important than flying to get kills. If you lve long enough you'll get kills now and then anyway.  If all you are interested in is killing as many foe as possible irrespective of what happens to yourself, then you might as well get stuck in no matter what and HO at every opportunity.  Even Saburo Sakai, the Japanese ace who flew mostly A6M's said that managing your energy state is important even in an A6M - that stuff isn't just for late-war uber-rides.

I just want to point out that E-fighting is more than just Boom N Zoom.  All air combat is E-fighting really, but we often use the term to refer to styles of air combat that rely on energy more than turning performance to get the job done.  That's a far cry from simple Boom N Zoom from a position of advantage.  While it's true than BnZ from an advantage is likely the safest way to get kills, it can get a bit boring.  Proper E-fighting, what I call E Kinfe Fighting, is more exciting and more fun.  It's not as safe, but being able to truly E fight in close is what makes an Ace in my book.  Always E fight... but you don't have to BnZ to do it. :)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2002, 10:03:06 AM »
punt

Offline Pony6

• Zinc Member
E-Knife fighting
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2002, 10:41:02 AM »
I have a fairly good idea of what you mean here, (riding the stall horn in an E fight with my 51D) but a little more expliation of the term E-Knife fighting would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Pony

Offline NHattila

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2002, 11:30:12 PM »
Originally posted by Eaglecz
There is no word about YAK nor Typhoon .. i will have to do something about that :D

yeah, most LW planes stand no chance against a tiffy, though i have been jumped by mandoble more than once......
i have never flown LW planes in my 18 month stint in AH, but i do know they make nice targets :)
Atti11a

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Re: E-Knife fighting
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2002, 07:10:41 AM »
Originally posted by Pony6
I have a fairly good idea of what you mean here, (riding the stall horn in an E fight with my 51D) but a little more expliation of the term E-Knife fighting would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Pony

Basically, I just me E fighting without ever going beyond about D1.2 range from the other guy.  E fighting in terms of maintaining E, using lag pursuit, and whittling your opponents energy down so you can kill him.... without zooming away or extending.  In an E-Knife fight, the farthest you get away from your opponent will be when he flat turns and you go vertical to maintain your E with a loop or a high yoyo.  The close-in E Knife Fighter stays more aggressive than somebody doing BnZ or extending, keeps the pressure on and looks to force a mistake.  The trick to this kind of E fighting is to maintain your advantage and position until you get an opportunity for a shot, then burn some of that E advantage for a kill shot.  This works best in planes with good power loading, good guns, and good instantaneous turn rate.  It also helps if the plane is fast so you can escape if you screw up and miss the one or two shots you'll get in this sort of fight.  The really tricky part is realizing when you've lost that advantage and need to get the heck out of dodge.

It's the most rewarding sort of air combat for me.  That's why I choose to fly the Jug... there is nothing more fun for me in AH than using close in E fighting techniques to kill "better" planes. :)

Offline rabbit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2002, 06:39:38 PM »

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2002, 03:25:38 AM »

This is classic stuff.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2002, 09:05:48 AM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Dead Man, what u describe as aggressiveness is the way i die much to often. To me it seems it exactly what will put me infront of the guns of my tgt.

Anyway were i try to reverse without having D2.0+ will result in my death. Only if the other guy is a real dumb one, this will be the outcome.

In an FW190-A8, I never turn more than a quarter-turn, and never reverse with less than d2.0.  I never sacrifice common sense for the sake of aggression.  I engage when I have an advantage, and disengage when I don't.  Sometimes it is good to extend beyond d2.0, to look for incoming bandits and make sure you know the airplanes around you.